Is it worth upgrading RAM?

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
So I am thinking of upgrading my RAM in my custom gaming PC I built back in 2017. Currently it has 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance 4gb DDR4 2133mhz installed in it totaling 8gb. I have heard 2 sticks is generally better then 4 as I was thinking of adding another 2 sticks of the same kind. My motherboard can only handle up to 2400mhz too. I don't really game much anymore either and only use my PC for my studies, I recently added a SSD to my PC as my primary drive and it is very fast now. Should I just stick with the 2 existing sticks of RAM or look at upgrading to 16gb or higher?

My PC's specs are below:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1065MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
MSI B250 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A64) (U3E1)
Graphics
PHL 221S9 (1920x1080@75Hz)
ASUS PB277 (2560x1440@75Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
465GB Western Digital WD Blue SA510 2.5 500GB (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA )

Thanks.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
I would upgrade the platform at this point. Something such as a 12400F + B760 board for example.
Nice suggestion, but all of my hardware is in really good condition is working really well. I am trying to get as much use out of my current build before building another PC. The i7 7700K is really good too.

Reactions: Why_Me
We dont know what programs you are using for your studies and how intensively , but if youre not having any problems then maybe no need to upgrade?

Generally speaking 16GB would probably help make things smoother in most things, even if its only being able to have a few more programs open at the same time. RAM is pretty cheap still I think, so yea go for it.

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
We dont know what programs you are using for your studies and how intensively , but if youre not having any problems then maybe no need to upgrade?

Generally speaking 16GB would probably help make things smoother in most things, even if its only being able to have a few more programs open at the same time. RAM is pretty cheap still I think, so yea go for it.
My main programs I use are Microsoft Office, Zoom, Brave (web browser) and I also use Steam to play a few games which is rare, the games I play are not large or performance consuming either.

As I said I currently have 2 sticks of 4gb RAM and was thinking of adding on 2 more to make 16gb, but a few people have told me in the past that 2 is actually more reliable then 4. Your exactly right too, RAM is very cheap. Thanks.

My main programs I use are Microsoft Office, Zoom, Brave (web browser) and I also use Steam to play a few games which is rare, the games I play are not large or performance consuming either.

As I said I currently have 2 sticks of 4gb RAM and was thinking of adding on 2 more to make 16gb, but a few people have told me in the past that 2 is actually more reliable then 4. Your exactly right too, RAM is very cheap. Thanks.
Yea sell the 2x4 and get a 2x8 kit in the same box. Sometimes it works and sometimes it can cause issues, better to avoid the issues and it wont cost any more at the end of the day.

Reactions: Brian Boru