Question Time for an upgrade, but dont know what exactly...

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
So, I have this PC:

Mother: Asus Prime B350 Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB (XFX edition)
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2400MHz (CMK8GX4M2A2400C14)
Storage: 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 1TB SSD, 1x 250GB SSD
Monitors: 1x 27" 144Hz, 1080p and 1x 24", 75Hz, 1080p (both AOC, realy good)
650 power supply, EVGA gold

I use this PC 99% for gaming, like CoDMW (100+ fps in MP, max 100 fps in Warzone :S)
That build is around 3 years old, if I am right. I want to change something in it, but dont know what exactly.
I was thinking to replace the GPU with a new from NVIDIA, the 3000 series, but a dude told me it wont coop with this CPU, it will bottleneck I suppose.

I am fine with my peripherals. I run Win10 Pro and I dont want to Overclock.
I can pay 500 euros at this time. Any ideas?

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Check on the manufacture's website for your motherboard if you can update the BIOS to accept Ryzen 3000 CPU's. If you can with that motherboard simply update the BIOS and install the Ryzen 3000 CPU into the socket.

Yes, update your GPU. It will be awhile for nVidia to release a more budget friendly GPU but you can always go AMD and grab a 5600XT which is awesome for 1080p gaming.

Zoid

Community Contributor
That build is around 3 years old, if I am right. I want to change something in it, but dont know what exactly.

Just for the sake of discussion - if you don't know what you want to change, are you sure you need to change anything? I know that sometimes that upgrade bug bites, but let's figure out what exactly about your current setup isn't stacking up. :)

I was thinking to replace the GPU with a new from NVIDIA, the 3000 series, but a dude told me it wont coop with this CPU, it will bottleneck I suppose.

These kinds of blanket statements get tossed around a lot and they aren't really helpful. An R5 1600X will bottleneck an NVIDIA 3000 series GPU in some games, sure, but the GPU will bottleneck the CPU in others. Best to measure the specific performance you're currently getting and see where the biggest area for improvement is.

Are you trying to target that 144 fps mark? If so, run some hardware monitoring software like MSI Afterburner or similar and monitor what's going on with your system performance when you're falling short of your desired frame rates. What kinds of CPU and GPU utilization do you see? If you are seeing the GPU pegged at 100% a lot of the time (which would be my guess), then a new GPU would probably be the most satisfactory upgrade.

If you don't know what to upgrade then don't. I actually have a pretty similar setup except a GTX 1060 6GB GPU. It's only with modern AAA games like AC Odyssey that I have to turn down some settings.

If your gaming just at 1080p then I don't see any reason to upgrade anything. Your already getting 100fps in the games your playing mostly so why change?

A better solution is to stick the money in a savings account and add as much to it as you can reasonably afford each month. Then in a years time maybe do a complete upgrade of your pc.

E.g. With a Ryzen 3 processor (4000 series), faster ram. 1TB NvME 4.0 SSD and whatever GPU suits the system best.

With the GPU if you are still playing at 1080p then you should wait for the AMD Navi cards and the RT3060 to be released and reviewed.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS