Question this build is causing me a headache

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
this is a bit of a story. my cousin has some old parts and im using just my graphics card and hard drives. The parts he was giving were
MSI z170A M5, Intel i7-6700k, viper 16GB sdram ddr4 and thermaltake psu 700w. (new pc)
I would be adding a gtx 1070, a samsung ssd 820 evo and 2 other hdd. (from old pc)
when we tired to do a fresh install of windows with the "new" pc, it would take about 2 hours to insall windows. once it finally booted to desktop the ssd was at 100% none stop. waited for windows to download and install the drivers it detected. and then reset again. drive still at 100%.
after 2 days of trying i put the ssd and graphics crad back into my old pc with a i7 930, and alienware brand motherboard.
windows fresh install and everything to desktop took less then an hour. iv been installing my programs and everything again, no problems like with the "new" build. can anyone sheld light into what is the problem and if this can work ??

Just to be clear:
1) Both PCs are in the same location, so internet connection & speed are not a factor;
2) You're installing the same version of Windows on both;
3) System drives were reformatted and empty before trying the install.

I'm no expert, but I can't see any reason it would fail. Possibilities:

A) The motherboard is dodgy. Did you see it working on your cousin's old rig?
Maybe a SATA slot is faulty, try the SSD in another slot.

B) If you try again, keep the build to the bare minimum—eg don't attach the 2 HDs or any RGB stuff, just mouse, KB & monitor. This would narrow down the problem area.

If you get past Windows install/update:
C1) Have a look in Device Manager, look for any warning yellow triangles.
C2) Same with Event Viewer—that has oodles of info, so focus on the time period where the problem happens.

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Just to be clear:
1) Both PCs are in the same location, so internet connection & speed are not a factor;
2) You're installing the same version of Windows on both;
3) System drives were reformatted and empty before trying the install.

I'm no expert, but I can't see any reason it would fail. Possibilities:

A) The motherboard is dodgy. Did you see it working on your cousin's old rig?
Maybe a SATA slot is faulty, try the SSD in another slot.

B) If you try again, keep the build to the bare minimum—eg don't attach the 2 HDs or any RGB stuff, just mouse, KB & monitor. This would narrow down the problem area.

If you get past Windows install/update:
C1) Have a look in Device Manager, look for any warning yellow triangles.
C2) Same with Event Viewer—that has oodles of info, so focus on the time period where the problem happens.

the 3 first thigs are correct. but I haven't seen this MB running in his PC. im thinking of trying to use a hdd. the case has a ssd slot on the top that I can slide the ssd into. lets say I get it running on the hdd and I plug in the ssd. how would I see if the slot is good or not ? when I last tried the install on the "new" set up I did only the ssd nothing connected.

TRENDING THREADS