The Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle

Rules are simple: Do not attempt to look up the answers. Read the text. Examine the picture. Post what door you want to take and why. If there is no majority selection, the choice will be picked via random number generator.

Prologue:
I met them at the gate though I usually wait inside. Preoccupied with their own throughts, impatient, like so many children, they didn't see who I really was. They never noticed my crown, my pain, the fire in my eyes.
Like all others they think the Maze was made for them; actually, it is the other way around. They think I am some poet who will lead them through the symbols and spaces of this Underworld. They think I will teach them lessons. They should call me Cerberus...I am the lesson.
The monstrous walls rise up and run away as far as the human eye can see, circling and dividing. Which half is the Maze?
Even I get lost. It changes - sometimes slowly, imperceptibly...sometimes suddenly. This House is not only made of stone and mortar, wood and paint; it is made of time and mystery, hope and fear. Construction never stops. I take some pride in my role as architect.
They think I will guide them to the center. Perhaps I will...
The sun was very hot.
Together we walked through the gate into...
NP.gif

Room One​

...the entrance hall of the Maze. They looked carefully at the bronze doors, trying to choose. The uncertainty of visitors is one of my little pleasures.
"It's easy to get lost," I said helpfully. "This can be a sinister place." The sun glared at me through the gateway.
Something was ringing behind one of the doors. They spent some time trying to decide which door it was, not understanding that the silences of the Maze are as eloquent as the sounds.
"Decisions, decisions," one said. "Too many decisions."
"The story of my life," said another.
"We don't want to be late," said a third, opening one of the doors.
"Nary a soul to be seen," said the first, peering into the gloom.
I waited patiently for them to choose which was to go ... into...

[Mod edit: better pic in post #3]

1.gif

(the images aren't great, but they are the only ones allowed by the publisher)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put this in the AI enhancement app I made and then cut and pasted an enhanced portion of another picture of room 1 so that things could be seen better. As far as I know, everything that needs to be legible is now legible.

full

Looking for a better picture source so I don't have to puzzle all the pictures...

Sorry for not doing this immediately, but I was interrupted by Guido wanting to play Factorio. Gotta have priorities.

Sorry for not doing this immediately

Edited OP re better pic.

So let's see:

20 STORY
…is obviously an anagram of 'So Try'—so, er, we should try it…
And if those are drums, a big roll please!

26 FABLE
I got nothin'.

41 TALE
…another anagram, this time of LATE, which the impatient one said while obviously picking this one—SO let's TRY to follow :rolleyes:

21 YARN
I like Alm's idea, haven't got anything else.

Yarn/21/fruit
Disqualify! Rules require 'why' you picked it :p

41 TALE seems the strongest, since it's probable the third person opened the 3rd door, plus the anagram and the bottle of ale pic with ALE in the title.

But… with the light shining thru, there should be less of the 'gloom' in 41 & 21 :unsure:

Okay, I pick 20 STORY—as above, plus only one of the titles mentioned by the people.

I'm going to try a bit different approach here, probably getting eaten by Cerberus for this.

I choose to open the gate (which is also a type of door), walk through the gateway, and go back to the center. I am guessing they were already at the center using the heliocentric approach, as the only place the sun is glaring is through the gateway, which is the exit they should take. So by going through any other door, you are beginning on your maze, which will never be possible to exit since none would have a center.

@Alm @Zloth @Frindis @Brian Boru @Colif @neogunhero @Kaamos_Llama @Pifanjr @Hveðrungr
@BeardyHat
All are welcome!

And on we move to Room 21

full

…a yard containing shrubs trimmed in ornamental shapes.

“This,” I began, “is called…”

“We know what the name is,” they interrupted. “Why don’t you just tell us which way to go?”

“I wasn’t referring to the plants,” I said in a huff. I refused to say anything else, leaving them to find their own way to…

Last edited:
I am at a complete loss of thought here. I suppose Room 44 because the two snakes twisting reminds me of yarn?? This hurts my brain!
The nature of this thing is that any logic is better than none. Twisting snakes reminding you of yarn is a perfectly acceptable take on this room.

Also, there are good paths, bad paths, the worst path and the best path. Right I would say you are on a good path, but that can change in an instant.

Last edited:
“I wasn’t referring to the plants,”

So prob referring to the viaduct, which of course is a way from A to B.

We have symbols for medicine engineering and… what, biology? …but that's a live bird, not a symbol :unsure:

The bushes look like pawns—or snowmen in winter.

Okay you guys have sweet-talked me into 44 also—but because it's the only one with visible steps which should get us onto the viaduct and thereby further along our journey.

Reactions: Frindis
Reactions: Alm
Are they short of numbers, reusing 21? Or is this the back view of the original 21?

So I go for 18, in case 21 is old 21—and we have a rope to follow.

Probably Rope-a-Dope, but oh well :D
You will see the same room numbers repeated sometimes. Can be helpful, or the opposite, in some situations. Given that we've just started, it isn't really either one right now, unless you aren't paying attention and end up walking in a circle, which is much more likely if you are using the book instead of the web.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
The book doesn't tell you anything, but there was a $10,000 contest associated with this book, and the contest was to find the center of the maze in the fewest possible steps, solve the riddle, and find your way back. This was actually turned into a PC game by Interplay in 1994 (9 years after the book).

I used the $10000 to buy my first car.

Just kidding. I couldn't solve the riddle. Even charting the path to the center and back in the fewest steps was challenging--for a reason we'll keep secret for now...

All we're worried about is getting to the center and back regardless of how many steps.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts