The Last of US Part 1 coming to PC

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
. It's not as simple as greedy companies do greedy things like you make it sound..

I would argue that yes it is that simple (just my opinion), people start increasing their prices because others increase their prices, none of the ceos and cfos and "higher-ups" of any company want to lose any of the money they get in their fat check bonuses for doing nothing but being in a position of power. Im fairly confident in saying that if this remake was sold at say even 49.99 (and if it was, i would buy it), Naughty Dog would still make enough money to pay every single person that worked on it (with fat bonuses) and then some.

But im with you, the 70 dollar price was surely inevitable and the minute it was first mentioned, you knew it was gonna become fact one day.60 did have a good run. Regardless of the reasoning for the increase, its gonna be a reality for a lot of games.

lets hope that when Microsoft is in full control of the distribution of ActivisionBlizzards library, they wont charge 70 for their call of duties or any game at that time. I could see microsoft doing this, but if the "market" shows that people are willing to pay 70, which they are, then they probably will (but at least well have game pass!).

Last edited:
I would argue that yes it is that simple (just my opinion), people start increasing their prices because others increase their prices, none of the ceos and cfos and "higher-ups" of any company want to lose any of the money they get in their fat check bonuses for doing nothing but being in a position of power.
I agree with the first thing you said. But saying CEOs and CFOs do nothing just shows that you have no idea what they do. They do a lot more and are under a lot more pressure than what people think.

I agree with the first thing you said. But saying CEOs and CFOs do nothing just shows that you have no idea what they do. They do a lot more and are under a lot more pressure than what people think.

Id say that defending them shows likewise you dont either. None of us here really do, but im willing to think that whatever it is they do do, doesnt deserve anywhere near the amount of money they take home.

Id say that defending them shows likewise you dont either. None of us here really do, but im willing to think that whatever it is they do do, doesnt deserve anywhere near the amount of money they take home.
My brother-in-law is an executive for a very large company, so I probably know more about it than a lot of people. He was actually recently in pretty bad health with his blood pressure and heart problems because of the extreme amount of stress and responsibilities from his job. He works more and harder than anyone I've ever known.

LOL, the argument about why digitally released media isn't cheaper has been done to death, and doesn't really apply here. I also don't think you're factoring in the cost of building and maintaining a digital distribution platform either, which is why it took even juggernauts like EPIC so long to compete with Steam.

You also need to realize that pretty much everything costing more now does in fact affect game production prices. We've also yet to even see how much in this game is being remade. A hike of 17% though isn't much compared to how much food, gas, and the cost of other essentials has gone up.

It's also completely up to you whether you want to wait for a sale, no one is forcing you to pay that $70. I don't know man, it is what it is, but as far as I'm concerned, what it is, is not nearly as big a deal as prices on essential things that we really CAN'T do anything about.
The fact is that these game companies are raising the price of games during a time when their profits are at an all-time high. That makes it greed, nothing more.

If this game is a remake, I'll probably get it at some point. I'm not that interested in playing a remastered version, even though I liked the first one quite a bit. Would be fun to play with mouse/keyboard This was my first shooter with a controller, and I may have--or maybe I just considered it, don't remember--put aim assist on..

Reactions: Brian Boru
None of us here really do, but im willing to think that whatever it is they do do, doesnt deserve anywhere near the amount of money they take home.

I know exactly what they do, as I've reported directly to CEO's during a lot of my career and been close with several CEO's including my cousin, Charles Maddy, who is CEO of a sizeable regional bank. My wife is also in upper management, and has been good friends with many CEOs and will probably be a CEO herself before her career ends. But as to what they do, the job is entirely about meetings, planning, delegation and communication. Also, the golf thing is just a stereotype. I think I probably played more golf than any of the CEOs I've known.

What you really need to understand about CEO's and how much stress they are under is that every single thing that happens with that company is their responsibility even if it isn't. For instance, if a customer slips and falls on an icy sidewalk, or if a mistake is made on a product, or if a customer service rep is rude--anything--it all is the CEO's responsibility because the board of directors and shareholders will rake him over the coals about it. This causes extreme stress. Imagine you suddenly find out that a few guys in one department have been harassing the women there. That's your fault, too. In fact, you almost may as well have done it yourself.

Now, does that extreme stress mean that they deserve their crazy salaries and bonuses? No, probably not, but it's just unfair to say that they don't work hard, etc.

Last edited:
The fact is that these game companies are raising the price of games during a time when their profits are at an all-time high. That makes it greed, nothing more.

If this game is a remake, I'll probably get it at some point. I'm not that interested in playing a remastered version, even though I liked the first one quite a bit. Would be fun to play with mouse/keyboard This was my first shooter with a controller, and I may have--or maybe I just considered it, don't remember--put aim assist on..
The only reasons so many games are being sold now is a lot of people are at home more ever since COVID. And the excessive online buying they're doing is also adding to the shortages and inflation. And while high sales figures may help the console side of the equation, it doesn't do much for PC, which is where most of the risk is regarding greenlighting big projects, especially those that require a lot of travel to locations depicted in photo realism. This is more complex than just saying developers are too greedy.

As far as this project goes though, you might think TLoU 1 is a simple PC project because they already have assets made, but they were made for 360 and PS3 originally and then eventually for PS4. There's still a lot of work that has to be done to make it for PC, partly because it's a remake, and more so if they want to showcase what the latest hardware can do.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS