Question Task Manager Processes +200 running at all times

Jul 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello! I need help troubleshooting my PC's memory issue. I have nearly 200+ processes running in the background of my computer with no way of getting them to quit! I have tried a numerous bunch of online tutorials on youtube with no results.

I will post screenshots ITT

Some major programs running are
- Avast Antivirus
- Discord
- McAfee
- NVIDIA
- Service Host

same in safe mode?

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

if not, is it same in a clean boot?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

i love it when i miss the obvious like that...

There is such a thing as too much protection, they would likely see each other as threats too. Decide on one, don't use 2.

if its windows 10 you don't need either of them. Can likely get away with Defender, sort of depends what sites you visit.

I used to use Avast but they always want you to buy new things, even if you are using the paid version. I prefer Bitdefender, they don't bug me for any money except when its due for updating.

Reactions: Zloth
- Avast Antivirus
- McAfee
As @Zloth & @Colif have said, uninstall one or both of those.

I have nearly 200+ processes running
I have 94 Background and 83 Windows, so as @Colif said, your number is not unusual at all.

Go into Task Manager, click on the Memory heading, and see what apps are using over 100MB.

You haven't told us anything about your PC:
Desktop or laptop?
How much RAM?
What CPU?
What graphics card?
What OS?

i have more ram than I need so I probably have more start up apps than most. Easy to use 9gb of ram when you still have 22 free

if I close chrome I have 93 background but I can't do much about windows, not sure what differences would be between mine and Brian's

hopefully its windows 10

TRENDING THREADS