Steam App v Steam in a browser—comparison

Was posting this as a reply elsewhere, but it's probably worth its own discussion.

reduce getting burned buying a game
The Augmented Steam browser extension is good for that, eg:

pvJktdM.png

I primarily use Steam in a browser, as I prefer having the ability to open multiple tabs.
Yes, of course, makes it much simpler to deal with the daily on-sale emails.

I just opened the app, and it took at least 10 seconds to launch, between updating and actually launching—if one of my browsers took that long to start, it would immediately be an ex-browser.

I also notice the app doesn't have the 'Add a note' function, which I find very useful. For Planet Coaster, the app downplays the DRM warning "Warning: This title uses 3rd-party DRM (Denuvo Anti-Tamper)" which might cause it to be missed by a few people.

Browser + extension above also provides these panels, which I find useful:
zgVQkss.png

and

oagzCl6.png

So over to you—what advantages does the app have that I'm overlooking?

Was posting this as a reply elsewhere, but it's probably worth its own discussion.

pvJktdM.png

I just opened the app, and it took at least 10 seconds to launch, between updating and actually launching—if one of my browsers took that long to start, it would immediately be an ex-browser.

I also notice the app doesn't have the 'Add a note' function, which I find very useful. For Planet Coaster, the app downplays the DRM warning "Warning: This title uses 3rd-party DRM (Denuvo Anti-Tamper)" which might cause it to be missed by a few people.

zgVQkss.png

and

oagzCl6.png

To me, the library is significantly better in the app (and much faster for me), as is the pop-up friends list. Also, I never have to sign into the app, whereas I frequently have to sign into the browser version and do multifactor authentication. And while it isn't much of a concern for savvy users, the app is far less likely to be spoofed.

I primarily use the browser when I'm doing a deep dive and trying to pull up multiple games. Being able to open things in a new tab is incredibly helpful. The "best price" feature of the add-on is nice, but not really a concern of mine. I'm not someone who tries to get the best price on games. I do like the SteamDB integration. I can't imagine wanting to put notes on the store page. I'm much more likely to create my own database in Access or to make an Excel spreadsheet. But I just now got the "Note" feature, so maybe I'll think of some use for it later.

I guess it's similar to GoG Galaxy in the sense that it's the library that is the main draw. Not only is it easier/faster/better organized, but I also can upload custom pics with animations for games, though that may be possible with the browser, as well. Don't know yet.

Last edited:
Does seem with extensions like those in OP and the ability to have multiple Windows open at once the browser has a lot of advantages over the app for discovering games.

I dont really use Steam to search for games though, and I'm not bothered about waiting for all time low prices. To me the app is a game launcher where I occasionally check my wishlist for stuff that's on sale. The app starts with Windows, so no idea how fast the boot time is for it. Cant use the web version to launch games, so I just never go there. :)

To me the app is a game launcher where I occasionally check my wishlist for stuff that's on sale. The app starts with Windows, so no idea how fast the boot time is for it. Cant use the web version to launch games, so I just never go there. :)
Same for me. The Steam App is my primary game library and game launcher and the individual game pages have all the information I need, as well as links to the Steam discussions, store page, write a review or guide, and the community hub. Steam Client updates are fast and easy, as well as checking my wish list and getting sales notifications. Steam also loads with my Windows 10 boot with no noticeable delays. So, just from my perspective, I've never had the desire to use the browser version of Steam.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I use the browser a lot when I want a second window open, probably for copy/pasting an image URL. We also must use a browser to link YouTube videos in your profile - Steam's built-in browser is so old that YouTube won't let it log in! I would like to use it to post on the forums, but I get an error saying there's an issue with my account unless I use the Steam client.

I don't ever use the browser to buy games. I suppose I could, I just never do. I don't think I buy enough games a year to make comparison shopping worth the trouble of making accounts in other stores to take advantage of them.

Interesting how both interfaces work for our different needs. As Juan Cortez says, "The right tool for the right job" :)

I can't imagine wanting to put notes on the store page. I'm much more likely to create my own database in Access or to make an Excel spreadsheet
I had a spreadsheet for a while, but let it slide, at which stage it became useless—importing hundreds of games from different retailers in not a fun job. These days all my lists and tables are in OneNote.

I use store page notes for tidbits not worth putting in a more permanent or accessible place—eg 'Recommended by Zed' [that's a warning, btw] or 'TPP w a lot of melee' or 'Owned on GOG' or a link to a YT review or Let'sPlay.

I too have to log in often in browser … compared to auto logging in when i start up my pc for the app
I should stick the app in my PC StartUp—old habit to keep all non-essentials out of there.

I rarely have to login to the browser—try enabling SteamGuard in your account, that may help.

App is my primary game library and game launcher
Makes sense if your games are all on Steam. Mine are scattered, so I use GOG Galaxy [occasionally PlayNite] for library since it collects my Steam, GOG, Epic, Ubisoft and EA titles into one interface. Still not perfect—eg doesn't include BigFish or Amazon—but a lot better than separate apps.

Apps would be way too slow as game launchers for me. I only use desktop icons to launch games, with Stardock's Fences to split them up into appropriate groups—see desktop screenshot of 2nd monitor below.

Even if apps weren't slower, I'd never remember which retailer's app to use for most of my games :unsure:

188bgHj.png

The "In Play" fence has the next big games on the list—I move icons to and fro between it and the collapsed 'Games' fence, which has many more of my installed 'Replays'.

The collapsed 'Gaming' fence has the retailer's apps, web links, mod launchers & some other bits n bobs—ie 'support' stuff.

The bottom-left open "New" fence is where all new icons automatically go, from where I move them to a permanent fence. Currently includes ~20 games from the recent clean-out of my Steam backlog, waiting for me to launch and decide whether to hide or keep.

TLDR point being:
♣ Coherent flexible grouping
♦ 1-click access

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
Interesting how both interfaces work for our different needs. As Juan Cortez says, "The right tool for the right job" :)

I had a spreadsheet for a while, but let it slide, at which stage it became useless—importing hundreds of games from different retailers in not a fun job. These days all my lists and tables are in OneNote.

I use store page notes for tidbits not worth putting in a more permanent or accessible place—eg 'Recommended by Zed' [that's a warning, btw] or 'TPP w a lot of melee' or 'Owned on GOG' or a link to a YT review or Let'sPlay.

I should stick the app in my PC StartUp—old habit to keep all non-essentials out of there.

I rarely have to login to the browser—try enabling SteamGuard in your account, that may help.

Makes sense if your games are all on Steam. Mine are scattered, so I use GOG Galaxy [occasionally PlayNite] for library since it collects my Steam, GOG, Epic, Ubisoft and EA titles into one interface. Still not perfect—eg doesn't include BigFish or Amazon—but a lot better than separate apps.

Apps would be way too slow as game launchers for me. I only use desktop icons to launch games, with Stardock's Fences to split them up into appropriate groups—see desktop screenshot of 2nd monitor below.

Even if apps weren't slower, I'd never remember which retailer's app to use for most of my games :unsure:

188bgHj.png

The "In Play" fence has the next big games on the list—I move icons to and fro between it and the collapsed 'Games' fence, which has many more of my installed 'Replays'.

The collapsed 'Gaming' fence has the retailer's apps, web links, mod launchers & some other bits n bobs—ie 'support' stuff.

The bottom-left open "New" fence is where all new icons automatically go, from where I move them to a permanent fence. Currently includes ~20 games from the recent clean-out of my Steam backlog, waiting for me to launch and decide whether to hide or keep.

TLDR point being:
♣ Coherent flexible grouping
♦ 1-click access
I've got 4 TB of games downloaded and want to be able to switch games very quickly, and there's really nothing faster than the Steam Library. It's not slow like other parts of the app can be. A lot of days, I'll delete one game and download a different one, or sometimes multiple ones. Using the desktop would just be a full time job when the app makes organizing so easy. I have pretty much every game categorized (not Steam tags) and having them break down into categories is one click away in Steam. Or I can one click separate them into the last time I played each game. I can group them into favorites. I can exclude games that aren't downloaded--all these things are one click and the results are instant.

Also, since I don't chase the best deals, I buy almost every game on Steam, so it makes even more sense. But it is capable of loading games from other storefronts if I choose to do that. But that process isn't as easy as it is in Galaxy and would be too much for someone who has tons of games all over the place. But I don't really like old games except for a couple. so GoG was never very useful for me, and I rarely play casual games, so that other store I can never remember isn't very useful for me either.

Last edited:
Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
Aug 1, 2023
Visit site

pvJktdM.png

zgVQkss.png

and

oagzCl6.png

I don't usually use a browser and mostly use the app. I think it's more convenient. Although maybe I'm just used to it.

TRENDING THREADS