SSD thoughts and power supply brand and wattage recommendations

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Good evening everyone. New forum member. I'm in the process of getting the last remaining parts needed for my desktop gaming PC build. I still need an SSD, power supply, CPU cooler, and RAM.

For the SSD, I'm considering purchasing the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1TB PCIe 4.0 as recommended in the PC Gamer link posted below. It's 2nd place to the Western Digital SSD in speed but runs cooler.

For the power supply, I'm open to brand suggestions and wattage recommendations. If I'm not mistaken, my GPU recommends at least a 650 watt PSU. Parts I currently own listed below. I also plan on using 32GB RAM if that impacts any power consumption. This PC will be for gaming, with the hope of streaming game play from the same PC, or capturing video of game play with software on the same PC and video editing.

Parts that I currently own:

Cooler Master Mastercase H500 RGB Mesh Front Air Intake

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Generation 12-core, 24 Thread, 3.8 GHz unlocked CPU

EVGA Super XC Ultra Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 GPU

Thanks for everyone's help in advance. Last time I built a machine was early to mid 2000's. This all new to me.

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the PSU brand recommendations. I ordered the Sabrent SSD this morning.

On the PSU, I'm noticing gold, bronze, and platinum. Anyone in particular I should get I over the others?

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I found two options from EVGA, one is $10.00 cheaper but both seem to be the same spec from what I can tell. Not much luck on You Tube. Both say they are ATX. FYI, my motherboard is the ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX and my case supports up to an 180 mm PSU.

If all things are equal, I might as well go for the one that is cheaper for this PC gaming build. Provided this is a good fit for my build.

1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT 80 Plus Gold for $89.99

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-750-gt-220-gt-0750-y1-750w/p/N82E16817438187

2 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA 80 Plus Gold for $99.99

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Seems Johnny Guru doesn't like EVGA - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/evga-psus-gd-vs-ga-vs-gt.3641219/ anymore. But he does work for Corsair although I assume he is non partial.
GT made by HEC
GA made by Andyson

for a long time EVGA used either Superflower or Seasonic, its why their PSU were so good. Now I don't know.

they probably okay.

Perhaps I'll do a bit more research. Newegg does have a Seasonic Focus GX-750 80 Plus Gold.

GX costs more but it will likely last the 10 years its warranty lasts for. You could probably use it in 2 pc unless you update as often as I do... never :)

Corsair RMx models are good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diesel
Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
GX costs more but it will likely last the 10 years its warranty lasts for. You could probably use it in 2 pc unless you update as often as I do... never :)

Corsair RMx models are good too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is the correct Corsair PSU you are referring to in the link below?

Seem's like Amazon has the best price and all reviews so far seem great. I believe that this is the previous version item # ‎CP-9020179-NA, as the 2021 version is item # ‎CP-9020199-NA and is slightly more expensive. If the changes to the newer version aren't major ones, perhaps I can get the older version and save just a bit?

Last edited:
Currently using a Rosewill 1000w PSU have been for a while now and seems to do the trick, but my new build is going to have an EVGA PSU.

As for the SSD, i have a sabrent SSD right now and its pretty fast and im going to throw in one of their 4th gens in my new build, they are a good brand.

As for CPU cooler, i dont do liquid set ups, but for air cooling i suggest this:

Seem's like Amazon has the best price and all reviews so far seem great. I believe that this is the previous version item # ‎CP-9020179-NA, as the 2021 version is item # ‎CP-9020199-NA and is slightly more expensive. If the changes to the newer version aren't major ones, perhaps I can get the older version and save just a bit?
its possible the main difference between the 2 different models is the type of fan in the PSU
see Johnny gurus comments in here - link
so buying old one is perfectly fine.

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'll order the Corsair. I'm sure 750 watts should more than enough. I plugged my parts into an online calculator and it came up to 450 watts with a recommendation for 500 watts.

Weird since EVGA recommends 650 watts or greater for my GPU.

TRENDING THREADS