Should i buy gaming motherboard or normal motherbord for my next build ?

Jan 23, 2022
Visit site
I am planning to build a new gaming PC this summer and am confused about should I buy a gaming or a normal motherboard. I have read many blogs about this some suggest that you should go for a gaming motherboard and some have an opinion both are the same there is no such difference between a normal and a gaming one.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Hard to say as many motherboards are 'gaming' styled now. If you have a more high end chip it may be better to get a higher end motherboard as the power delivery circuitry is generally stronger and so will cope better over time with a more power hungry chip, and can allow it to work at its full potential without slowing it down to reduce the heat produced.

The you have additional subjective things like needing lots of USB's or better quality sound, RGB controls, extra storage ports.

So it really depends on your budget and what your other components are, there nothing inherently better about a 'gaming' motherboard, in some cases gaming styled boards are worse than some plainer looking alternatives.

Whats your full build and budget for the board?

As a broad generalization, "gaming" is a marketing term slapped onto all kinds of items from chairs to mouse mats, so they can raise the price 20-50%.

The term is often accompanied by cosmetic differentiators to make the product stand out, and the dearer price seem worth it—stripes, lights, colors, images etc. If you're interested, look at the fashion industry to see how it all works.

@Kaamos_Llama hits the nail on the head. Decide what features you need, then get a board from a reputable manufacturer after reading reviews at places like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jan 23, 2022
Visit site
As a broad generalization, "gaming" is a marketing term slapped onto all kinds of items from chairs to mouse mats, so they can raise the price 20-50%.

The term is often accompanied by cosmetic differentiators to make the product stand out, and the dearer price seem worth it—stripes, lights, colors, images etc. If you're interested, look at the fashion industry to see how it all works.

@Kaamos_Llama hits the nail on the head. Decide what features you need, then get a board from a reputable manufacturer after reading reviews at places like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech.
Thanks for your kind info......

I wonder what differences are apart from more RGB.
I doubt its got better VRM on a gaming boards unless "normal" motherboards don't have any heatsinks on them. Then I would classify "normal" as "cheap"

Its actually hard to find a "normal" board now as even the low end boards have a lot of the features.

hmm, Two of the main differences here are the same thing. Price. You pay more for gaming... we know that, but apart from paying the "Gaming" tax, what else?
Love to know examples. Are gaming motherboards the top end of the Aorus range? Or are they all gaming motherboards? It never occurred to me that there were Gaming motherboards, I probably have one...

you don't really need one for gaming though, they mainly offer more choices to install more parts in PC but for most part they don't help games. Choice of CPU & GPU have more effect - https://gamerforfun.com/does-a-motherboard-make-a-difference-in-gaming/

Asus does the 'Prime' series boards A/P/Pro which are usually plainer and not ROG styled. They usually have a decent VRM at least on the A and pro models. MSI also does the -A/Pro boards which are less gaming than all the Godlike stuff and still OK.

The high end comptetitive overclocking boards are styled as gaming these days, which is weird because they arent really for gaming as you say @Colif.

I wouldnt put an Intel 12900 or even 12700 in any H610 board that I wanted to last a day past warranty. VRMs not only unheatsinked but unfit for purpose even if they say they support those chips. Same for some higher end AMD chips in some AMD boards.

the higher end boards are more for overclocking, that is true, and offer more of everything. Better sound, better LAN.

Its a matter of knowing what you will use. I still buy based on what I might use but I often don't end up using the extra features. So last board I aimed lower, only thing I really needed was 5.1 sound. I got WiFi but I don't really use it.

TRENDING THREADS