Shadows of Forbidden Gods (elder god grand strategy game)

This just released a few days ago, and it has about 500 Steam reviews sitting at 95 percent positive. You play as an elder god trying to bring about the apocalypse. Map looks like your typical 2010 4X map. Apparently, per the user reviews, there are many different strategies/combo strategies available. And speaking of options, one review mentions that there are extensive difficulty options, and that the game launched with more depth than any Paradox game. It's $19.99. I'm trying not to buy it with the refund credit I got the other day. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1741640/Shadows_of_Forbidden_Gods/

You could be on to something! If you like pain in your strategy games, then Paradox-like Grand Strategy is the way to go.

A few of the good reviews compare it to Crusader Kings 2, and one even goes so far as to claim "addictive gameplay to nearly rival the Civ formula"—no higher praise in Heaven or Hell. If you can get past the problems of CK2, mainly around interface, then there should be exquisite pain to be had—and hopefully a mod will fix a lot of that, they sure do in Civ's case anyway.

There's a demo for anyone else interested. I've wishlisted to keep an eye on, but won't dabble—got my fill of PeePee [Paradox Pain] a long time ago.

Reactions: ZedClampet
You could be on to something! If you like pain in your strategy games, then Paradox-like Grand Strategy is the way to go.

A few of the good reviews compare it to Crusader Kings 2, and one even goes so far as to claim "addictive gameplay to nearly rival the Civ formula"—no higher praise in Heaven or Hell. If you can get past the problems of CK2, mainly around interface, then there should be exquisite pain to be had—and hopefully a mod will fix a lot of that, they sure do in Civ's case anyway.

There's a demo for anyone else interested. I've wishlisted to keep an eye on, but won't dabble—got my fill of PeePee [Paradox Pain] a long time ago.
I'm pretty sure people only compared it to Paradox because that was the easiest way to go. For the average person, they define strategy gaming. From reading the reviews, it sure didn't sound like there was any pain involved. In fact, it sounded like the game solved the late game Paradox pain problem.

Apr 18, 2023
Visit site
The toy is very interesting. Those who are interested in the theme of mythology in games, will like it. Spent about 100 hours in it. Then I got bored.

TRENDING THREADS