Question Ryzen 7 5700G APU - Freezing and/or BSOD

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys, new here.

I come in search of desperate help. Just built my PC a month ago, and can't seem to get it right. There's definitively something wrong and I don't know what else to do.

It will randomly freeze, sound keeps going, and after some seconds screen goes black, and complete lockup. Will do it every couple of hours at least.
Sometimes it will go BSOD too, or tabs in Firefox crash randomly. Very, very unstable.
The lockups happen especially when gaming or doing 3D rendering stuff.
I have tried with W11 and W10 with no noticeable difference.

Specs:
APU: Ryzen 7 5700G
MB: Asus ROG Strix B550F Gaming WiFi
RAM: (2x8)16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM650W 80+Gold
SSD: Samsung 980 Nvme 500Gb

Corsair H100i Capellix AIO 240mm
Corsair 4000x Chassis

So far I have tried the following with no success:

- Reinstalling SO (W11 or W10)
- BIOS Update from 2403 to 2423
- Enable/Disable DOCP to 3600
- Manually entering 3600 Mhz / 1800 FCLK
- Enabling / Disabling Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO)
- Installing drivers from AMD and from Asus, different versions. Still having lockups.
- With and without Armoury Crate
- With and without iCue
- Reseating PSU cables (x3)
- Changing RAM modules (installed in A2/B2 as per MB instructions)
- Using a single stick of RAM. (This gave me hope as I could play for about 1 hour)
- Tightening/ Loosening AIO pump mount screws
- Tightening / loosening MB screws
- Cleared CMOS
- Set SOC Voltage to 1.05
- Disabling C-States
- (Everyone says to change Power Supply Idle Control to Typical, but this is a setting I can't seem to find in my BIOS)
-Reinstalling RAM, APU, checking MB connections.
-Can't really remember what else I have done so far.

Benchmarks passed without any issues, and with max 75C for the CPU package during the most demanding tests.
- Heaven (with and without OC)
- Cinebench R23
- OCCT
- MemTest86 (x4 times. Twice with both sticks, and once for every RAM stick)

I have read most of (if not all) of the forums and topics covering similar issues.
I am afraid there's something wrong with my hardware, but don't know where to start to get a clear diagnose.

Guys, I really need your help.
I can get similar sticks of RAM but with different timings, I would change from C18 to C16 which should be better. But can't really tell if this is the issue.
Do you think it's the RAM? APU? MB?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
And if you just read all of this, thanks!

[Mod edit: changed title from "Desperate Help! Ryzen 7 5700G APU - Freezing and/or BSOD".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 28, 2022
Visit site
Thanks Colif! I guess I need to try HCIMemtest and then Prime95 tonight.

I remember these codes on the BSOD.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Lately I haven't got many BSOD but lockups with black screen, and after some minutes the AMD Driver Timeout message.

I can get a different set of RAM sticks next week from Amazon, but I would need to check if they're on the QVL list first.
Did you check if your motherboard supports the RAM speed? I literally had the same BSOD problems last month until I read this: DDR4 4400(O.C)/3533(O.C)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

I was using 3600mhz instead of 3533, so that was crashing my games, I lowered it to 3200 just to try if it worked and it did work, I didnt get any more BSOD or game crashes except for League of Legends, my gpu drivers crashes when I try to play league, but any other game works just fine, its weird, I'd really like to play League again hahaha

I have a B450M PRO S, 5700G with 32gb(4x8) 3600mhz

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Not to necro an older thread, but I've been researching this same problem with my 5700g system for a while now. I have a 5700g installed in a Asrock Deskmini X300 and I have the exact same intermittent freezing behavior, which only seems to happen while the system is "idle" (simple light load like playing Spotify). Here's a few links describing similar issues. TLDR: disabling global C-states seems to fix the problem, at the cost of slightly higher system power consumption.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/qb80k7/pc_partly_freezing_up_wont_respond_until_hard_boot/

Good luck! Shame there's not a better solution to the problem. Seems like a hardware flaw on AMD's part.

Not to necro an older thread, but I've been researching this same problem with my 5700g system for a while now. I have a 5700g installed in a Asrock Deskmini X300 and I have the exact same intermittent freezing behavior, which only seems to happen while the system is "idle" (simple light load like playing Spotify). Here's a few links describing similar issues. TLDR: disabling global C-states seems to fix the problem, at the cost of slightly higher system power consumption.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/qb80k7/pc_partly_freezing_up_wont_respond_until_hard_boot/

Good luck! Shame there's not a better solution to the problem. Seems like a hardware flaw on AMD's part.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

The OP of the LTT thread you linked also said:

Just to update. Possibly issue is now solved.

I tried turning off the "cool and quiet feature - didn't work, issue popped up again after a week. I then uninstalled the amd chipset drivers which I have gotten off amd website and just installed the ones from the msi install cd and so far i haven't encountered the problem(about 3 weeks now)

Someone else saying:

The issue was the memory. I'm now using my older memory kit DDR4-3000 for about 2 weeks and never had the issue described in the TS. Asus told they have been seeing this on different memory modules. And certainly that's why those memory kits are not defined in the QVL of Asus.

On the G-Skill QVL the board is mentioned so that's weird in a way...

Was there something wrong with my kit or is the kit really not supported. I don't know... but my new system is finally rock stable so I'm happy!

Posting them up here in case they're helpful to someone in the future.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS