RTX 4090 launch day thread

Closest I ever come to one of these is in a video
My entire PC cost less than all of these
bywcxrP.jpg

So I will keep waiting to see what AMD have to offer.
Expect prices will become a little less insane but 4k sounds about right...
Have to be mad to buy one of Ali Express lol.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
I just finished watching Der8auer's review on the RTX4090, yes the numbers with performance uplift is just insane but the power...? I mean you could cut power draw by a 3rd and loose just a little off the top(performance wise). The card/generation is a mixed bag of nuts, especially with all that's going on in the world(energy prices, currency devaluations).

Stand in line like people buying an iPhone? :3

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Stupid we have two 4080s that are completely different SKUs. That's prestige for you :rolleyes:

4080 16GB will be strong, but there might be a touch of CPU bottleneck in MS flightsim coming into play. Might not be as close in other titles?

TPU review also said 4090 seemed to have more CPU overhead than 3000 series, as it pulled further away from 3090 and other as resolution went up, which was interesting. Might just be early drivers I guess.

Stupid we have two 4080s that are completely different SKUs. That's prestige for you :rolleyes:

4080 16GB will be strong, but there might be a touch of CPU bottleneck in MS flightsim coming into play. Might not be as close in other titles?

TPU review also said 4090 seemed to have more CPU overhead than 3000 series, as it pulled further away from 3090 and other as resolution went up, which was interesting. Might just be early drivers I guess.
Speaking of drivers ...

Might just be early drivers
That's always my thought with new tech bits, similar to new games. I've never bought the latest of anything for a build, usually previous gen at the price-to-perf sweet spot.

Considering I've also never spent over $300 on a graphics card—and that minus rebate or free game—looks like I'll be happily trundling along at 1080p for a while yet, or maybe 1440.

I watched JayZ's video on the 4090, looks to be only worthy of consideration if you're rich and want best perf at 4K. 30XX looks to be the coming sweet spot—but I won't be in the market this year anyway.

Reactions: mainer and Why_Me
Love it! Though i would never spend that money on a GPU. Looking forward to see what the 4080(the top one) and 4070 will come up with.

Me too with the spending, maybe if i was single and had a lot of cash but still i can think of a lot of other stuff id rather spend 1600-2000 on than a GPU for only frame gains, but i too am looking forward to the other entries in the 40 series, even a 4050 or 4060. If the 4090 is doing what its doing for 4k and 8k, im hoping that the cheaper cards can give sold FPS for 2k with these ones.

Reactions: Brian Boru
plan is to keep the 30 series around to cover the lower end of the stack
Yeah, that lower end is going to be well over 90% of the market, so they have to keep that supplied.

I don't ever see myself paying 4 figures for any one component tho. The march of electronics tech has been better performance, better quality, and lower price. Once people realize what they're getting for the extra $2-4K is not much in practice, prices will drop.

Yeah, that lower end is going to be well over 90% of the market, so they have to keep that supplied.

I don't ever see myself paying 4 figures for any one component tho. The march of electronics tech has been better performance, better quality, and lower price. Once people realize what they're getting for the extra $2-4K is not much in practice, prices will drop.

Oh yea these are the top level chips and mid range prices arent going to range up quite as much. Pricing is still horrible here for the 3060 but I see that in the U.S you can pick up a 3060 for $360-370.

Thats still double what that tier of card they would have been a few years ago. they hiked mid range prices from 199 GTX 960 to a 349 RTX2060 over 5 years before any of the latest mining madness started. At the top end since Nvidia introduced the OG Titan in like 2012 its been even worse, they realized at that point the market would support 'halo' products at silly prices and have gone ham with it. So much so they dont have a 4070 anymore, they have two 4080's that are completely different cards.

I dont believe its going to get that much cheaper again, but it would be nice to be surprised.

I dont believe its going to get that much cheaper again, but it would be nice to be surprised
If there's a market, the market will find a way. If it has to be with 2nd-hand cards to get decent prices, then there's a big opening for companies to refurbish or verify the condition.

in the U.S you can pick up a 3060 for $360-370.
That's correct, and I'll pay that if the fine day ever dawns on my next build :) It's a decent price—if I recall correctly, it had ~50% improvement over 2060, which had X% over 1660, which has Y% over my 1060 :D

I'm quite happy to let the hyped up rich beta testers help the companies recover R&D costs, get decent drivers, and work out the main bugs.

In those cases i would be surprised if they even have a chassie large enough to fit the damned thing :p
There plenty of big cases around that have solid fronts that could take that GPU.
this for instance -https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-s2-tempered-glass/blackout/
I knew it existed as my case is based on its chassis. Except I have the Meshify S2
and thats picking from better case makers.

I haven't measured it but I expect my case has more than enough space to fit a 4090

Its a fair point though, the trend in cases has been to make them smaller now they don't have hdd cages, now a bunch of people might need bigger cases to fit the GPU in

I remember when I first showed this PC here, people said... you have too much free space... now GPU are growing again, is it really free?
NNa3gWf.jpg

Nvidia might want to reduce number of available 30 series cards so people have to buy the newer ones - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-restores-mining-performance-on-geforce-rtx-30-lhr-gpus

If there's a market, the market will find a way. If it has to be with 2nd-hand cards to get decent prices, then there's a big opening for companies to refurbish or verify the condition.

That's correct, and I'll pay that if the fine day ever dawns on my next build :) It's a decent price—if I recall correctly, it had ~50% improvement over 2060, which had X% over 1660, which has Y% over my 1060 :D

I'm quite happy to let the hyped up rich beta testers help the companies recover R&D costs, get decent drivers, and work out the main bugs.
Hardly recouping costs when profits are through the roof year after year, but I know Im screaming into the void on that one.

Its a good point that net performance increases gen on gen. There is also a level of software inflation involved in that ouruborous as well, but Nvidia would certainly like your way of thinking :p

Its probably not as evident to you as you dont upgrade as often, but for me I bought a Radeon 5700XT 3 years ago for €450 and I today I can buy from the local store here, the cheapest RTX 3060 model at that price, which is a net upgrade of around 0% depending on what review you read.

PC hardware has been a hobby for me, and I used to overclock and do benchmarking just for funsies when I was less busy. As someone who is also relatively affluent finding myself being slowly priced out of that enjoyment probably grates a little more than for most

TRENDING THREADS