RTX 4090 launch day thread

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
There plenty of big cases around that have solid fronts that could take that GPU.
this for instance -https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-s2-tempered-glass/blackout/
I knew it existed as my case is based on its chassis. Except I have the Meshify S2
and thats picking from better case makers.

I haven't measured it but I expect my case has more than enough space to fit a 4090

Its a fair point though, the trend in cases has been to make them smaller now they don't have hdd cages, now a bunch of people might need bigger cases to fit the GPU in

I remember when I first showed this PC here, people said... you have too much free space... now GPU are growing again, is it really free?
NNa3gWf.jpg

Nvidia might want to reduce number of available 30 series cards so people have to buy the newer ones - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-restores-mining-performance-on-geforce-rtx-30-lhr-gpus
Think you missed my joke but ok :D

How can you have to much empty space????? Let the air flow freeee!

i did indeed miss the joke... still missing it :D
Not exactly on the ball today, so its probably me

Its probably not as evident to you as you dont upgrade as often, but for me I bought a Radeon 5700XT 3 years ago for €450 and I today I can buy from the local store here, the cheapest RTX 3060 model at that price, which is a net upgrade of around 0% depending on what review you read.
Two years ago I bought a 2070 Super for... $AUD 999.00
Now I can actually get an upgrade for it if I decide to buy a rx 6800xt since the new ones are announced next month, and it would be an upgrade if only in that it would let me run screen at 144hz in games. Its better in other ways too. If I am lucky it will be cheaper but I expect a rx 7800 xt might make me contemplate its price, if its anything like Nvidia anyway.
You can't buy 2070 Supers any more so like to retire it before it dies.

The 40 series as a whole is looking pretty rough, imo. The 4090 is obviously a beast, but past that the 4080s are really looking like bad products. From what we've seen so far (of course we won't be able conclusively say until we've seen more testing), the 4080 12gb looks like a terrible card. Not a whole lot better than the 3080 for $900? No thanks.

Two years ago I bought a 2070 Super for... $AUD 999.00
Now I can actually get an upgrade for it if I decide to buy a rx 6800xt since the new ones are announced next month, and it would be an upgrade if only in that it would let me run screen at 144hz in games. Its better in other ways too. If I am lucky it will be cheaper but I expect a rx 7800 xt might make me contemplate its price, if its anything like Nvidia anyway.
You can't buy 2070 Supers any more so like to retire it before it dies.

Yea I can get a decent model 6800XT for a price I'm willing to pay, but at this point I'll wait for the 7000 series to release and hope they caught up to Nvidia with their RT. A lot of why I really want to upgrade is to play some games with RT on, and the 6800XT RT performance doesnt quite cut it for me.

I'd rather get something that's worth a damn to me for 450-500 so I can get a 5800X3d at the same time though :)

To be fair I can still sell my current card for more than half what I paid for it going by local 2nd hand prices which would help.

The 40 series as a whole is looking pretty rough, imo. The 4090 is obviously a beast, but past that the 4080s are really looking like bad products. From what we've seen so far (of course we won't be able conclusively say until we've seen more testing), the 4080 12gb looks like a terrible card. Not a whole lot better than the 3080 for $900? No thanks.

If the 4080 16GB is as close to the 4090 for significantly less it might be a good deal, relatively speaking. The 4080 12GB is just Nvidia trying to get away with charging $900 for a x70 tier card

Nvidia likely to still be ahead in RT simply from starting first.
I have had an RTX card for 2 years so far and never seen it in use Ray Tracing outside of benchmarks, so its not really a selling point to me. None of the games I play use the feature. Depends on how high the prices are here for a 7800xt as to if I get one.
I have 3 things I want but can't afford all 3 at once, so every other week its... do I buy a CPU or a GPU... I don't really need either. I just want a new toy :)

4080 12gb is an odd one. I expect Nvidia will lower its prices once AMD releases its cards. 4080 12gb might be worth its price then. I am not looking at Nvidia as I don't want a new PSU any time soon. 30 cards were spiky enough.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I have Control, Metro Exodus, and Cyberpunk 2077 waiting for a second go maxed out with RT here. I think its going to become ubiquitous over time in action games, especially as consoles have it now even if its pretty limited there.

I didnt much care about it when it released either, I thought it was half baked as it killed performance so much. They're just about there now so I'm excited to see it at a decent frame rate.

The 4090 RT looks crazy strong as you'd expect, I wonder how much of that the 4080's will get.

I want a GPU that comes out that is so good there is no need to upgrade again, and maybe... just maybe... games will have to be fun to play again and not just dazzles people with pretty lights. I know, I can dream but I am not taken in by how pretty games look, they have to be fun to play as well.
So 40 series isn't as explodingly amazing to me as it is to others.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Yeah, that lower end is going to be well over 90% of the market, so they have to keep that supplied.

I don't ever see myself paying 4 figures for any one component tho. The march of electronics tech has been better performance, better quality, and lower price. Once people realize what they're getting for the extra $2-4K is not much in practice, prices will drop.
I can't imagine myself ever spending $1600+ USD for a graphics card, or any PC component. You could buy a decent gaming PC for that cost.

The RTX 4090 is an impressive card, and there's a part of my brain (left side or right side?) that says, "You need this, you need this!". But I have to ask myself, "why?". Why do I really need a 4090? I replay more older games than new, and even the few new games I buy each year don't stress out my current RTX 3080. True, when I heavily mod a game I push it pretty hard, but never to the point where I have to lower graphical settings very much.

I felt that I splurged back in November of 2020 when I spent $749 for an RTX 3080 FTW3 from EVGA, which was MSRP for that card. I got on their Auto-Notify Que in September of that year. I'll really miss EVGA's Auto-Notify system, I think it was one of the best. Hard to believe that card is almost 2 years old and drifting towards the mid-range of graphics cards.

I know that the RTX 4080 16gb will whisper in my ear at night and try to seduce me, once it releases, but I'll do my best to resist.

Different strokes :) I like some pretty lights to go with games I really liked, gives me an excuse to play through them again.
I feel the same. Ray Tracing has been a bit divisive, but I personally think it's really cool. I have a 3080 and I played Control at absolutely max settings and it was brilliant. Metro Exodus is perhaps the best looking game I've ever played and the Enhanced Edition has the best lighting in any video game* I've seen.

I can't imagine myself ever spending $1600+ USD for a graphics card, or any PC component. You could buy a decent gaming PC for that cost.

The RTX 4090 is an impressive card, and there's a part of my brain (left side or right side?) that says, "You need this, you need this!". But I have to ask myself, "why?". Why do I really need a 4090? I replay more older games than new, and even the few new games I buy each year don't stress out my current RTX 3080. True, when I heavily mod a game I push it pretty hard, but never to the point where I have to lower graphical settings very much.

I felt that I splurged back in November of 2020 when I spent $749 for an RTX 3080 FTW3 from EVGA, which was MSRP for that card. I got on their Auto-Notify Que in September of that year. I'll really miss EVGA's Auto-Notify system, I think it was one of the best. Hard to believe that card is almost 2 years old and drifting towards the mid-range of graphics cards.

I know that the RTX 4080 16gb will whisper in my ear at night and try to seduce me, once it releases, but I'll do my best to resist.

If I'd have been able to get a 3080 for msrp I would have been sorely tempted, no such luck here in the EU though.

I feel the same. Ray Tracing has been a bit divisive, but I personally think it's really cool. I have a 3080 and I played Control at absolutely max settings and it was brilliant. Metro Exodus is perhaps the best looking game I've ever played and the Enhanced Edition has the best lighting in any video game* I've seen.

I think it always looked amazing, I just wasnt bothered about running games as a slideshow to for it to work at max settings, as it was early on with anything below the very top tier of cards. Now the tech has matured enough I'm very ready to jump in.

Cant wait to play those games again fully maxed out.

It'll appear later as a 4070, as it should have been. Hopefully at a more sensible price.
That's my guess. I'm glad about it getting properly named, at last. I don't know how optimistic I am on the pricing side of things, though. The 3080 was $700 and the 4080 is $1200, which is an absolutely insane increase. I can't imagine the 4070 being reasonable given the current pricing structure of the 40 series.

Jensen said they are keeping the 3000 series alongside the 4000 so youre probably right. A lot will depend on how the AMD cards perform and where they are priced as to whether theres any change in the near future.

Not sure if they are just using up inventory on the 3000 series for now or if theres any intention of releasing lower end skus of 4000 later on.

Really hope Intel sticks around long enough to get their drivers sorted, 3 players would hopefully bring teh prices down again.

Jensen said they are keeping the 3000 series alongside the 4000 so youre probably right. A lot will depend on how the AMD cards perform and where they are priced as to whether theres any change in the near future.

Not sure if they are just using up inventory on the 3000 series for now or if theres any intention of releasing lower end skus of 4000 later on.

Really hope Intel sticks around long enough to get their drivers sorted, 3 players would hopefully bring teh prices down again.
Yea, I'm inclined to agree with the speculation about the 30 series inventory being the reasoning behind the 40 series' pricing structure. The whole situation just makes a lot more sense that way. If they have a massive amount of 30 series stock and they were to release well-priced, newer cards that would clearly pose an issue for them. I can't imagine they would, under normal circumstances, be insane enough to price a 4070 at $900.

I would love if Intel stuck with it. Honestly, I think Arc is pretty darn impressive for their first outing. It has major driver problems, of course, but it's a pretty strong starting point all things considered. I think if they are able to weather the storm and stick with it they could be a meaningful competitor in the GPU market. And, to your point, hopefully the increased competition will lead to better prices for consumers. I think AMD also has the potential to be somewhat disruptive with RDNA 3 vs 40 series. However, I'm pretty unconvinced that AMD will be all that aggressive with their pricing.

Yea, I'm inclined to agree with the speculation about the 30 series inventory being the reasoning behind the 40 series' pricing structure. The whole situation just makes a lot more sense that way. If they have a massive amount of 30 series stock and they were to release well-priced, newer cards that would clearly pose an issue for them. I can't imagine they would, under normal circumstances, be insane enough to price a 4070 at $900.

I would love if Intel stuck with it. Honestly, I think Arc is pretty darn impressive for their first outing. It has major driver problems, of course, but it's a pretty strong starting point all things considered. I think if they are able to weather the storm and stick with it they could be a meaningful competitor in the GPU market. And, to your point, hopefully the increased competition will lead to better prices for consumers. I think AMD also has the potential to be somewhat disruptive with RDNA 3 vs 40 series. However, I'm pretty unconvinced that AMD will be all that aggressive with their pricing.

Totally agree that Arc is impressive, but also have to say theres no way I'm buying one as my main card. And I wonder how many will take a chance? Its going to take a couple of generations for them to catch up unless they really sort out the drivers, but I cant see them going back and optimizing tto many old games as so many come out all teh time anyway. Hope they stick it out long enough to gain traction.

Depends on performance for AMD, but yea, I doubt we'll be seeing anything too low unfortunately.

LOL Nvidia "unlaunched" the RTX 4080 12gb. I literally thought it was a joke post on reddit but they legitimately axed it entirely.
Nvidia is canceling the launch of the RTX 4080 12GB model, saying it made a mistake with the product’s naming.
right... everyone already called it a 4070

RTX 4080 16gb will whisper in my ear at night and try to seduce me
So that's why all those big fans are necessary.

2080 Ti, but that's out of the window now
Please PM me coordinates to outside your window, thanks.

I can't imagine the 4070 being reasonable given the current pricing structure of the 40 series
All will be revealed after the AMD show next month—dont buy a 40XX until the dust settles after that.

3 players would hopefully bring teh prices down again
Maybe not.
"Effective competition is said to exist when there are four firms with market share below 40% and flexible pricing. Low entry barriers, little collusion, and low profit rates."

Intel … if they are able to weather the storm and stick with it
No problem there, chip companies have to think much longer-term than most USA companies—and yes, that means even longer than 2 quarters. They've seen the market cough up major cash for pretty lights, so if that doesn't implode they'll hang in there—besides, it hits at AMD.

TRENDING THREADS