RTX 3060 12GB won't play overwatch in low settings

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
when i try to play overwatch, i just get 10 fps in low settings, i have an RTX 3060 12GB and i don't know why my games are always so laggy, my friend says that with an RTX 3060 i should be able to play games in high settings, but for some reason i can't

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "For some reason my RTX 3060 12GB is not enough to play overwatch in low settings".]

Last edited by a moderator:
That tool doesn't include the make and model of your PSU...please include that bit of info. If the PSU has been in service, please mention the age of the PSU.

Just a side note, you're on a 4th Gen i5, you're in dire need of a platform upgrade, one where your GPU would benefit most.

COLGeek

You have a few things working against you. Lower end CPU, looks like 1x8GB of memory, and relatively slow HDDs. All these contribute to lowering overall performance.

Have you scanned your rig for malware recently?

I would upgrade the memory to 2x8GB (16GB total) at a minimum. I would also recommend a SSD for the OS, vice the HDD you are using.

Reactions: Lutfij
Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
You have a few things working against you. Lower end CPU, looks like 1x8GB of memory, and relatively slow HDDs. All these contribute to lowering overall performance.

Have you scanned your rig for malware recently?

I would upgrade the memory to 2x8GB (16GB total) at a minimum. I would also recommend a SSD for the OS, vice the HDD you are using.
no, i don't have 1x8GB of memory, i have 2x4GB of memory, also i have an SSD plus, but its not yet inside my pc

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
That tool doesn't include the make and model of your PSU...please include that bit of info. If the PSU has been in service, please mention the age of the PSU.

Just a side note, you're on a 4th Gen i5, you're in dire need of a platform upgrade, one where your GPU would benefit most.
which GPU would you recommend? my PSU is new, i changed it when i got my RTX 3060 because it needed more cables and more power

COLGeek

no, i don't have 1x8GB of memory, i have 2x4GB of memory, also i have an SSD plus, but its not yet inside my pc
2x4GB is better than 1x8GB, but still too little for gaming performance. 16GB is the minimum I would recommend.

Installing the SSD will help.

Not an issue of a GPU upgrade, rather a CPU/motherboard/memory upgrade. That is what Lutfij was referring to.

• Love
Reactions: Lutfij
Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
2x4GB is better than 1x8GB, but still too little for gaming performance. 16GB is the minimum I would recommend.

Installing the SSD will help.

Not an issue of a GPU upgrade, rather a CPU/motherboard/memory upgrade. That is what Lutfij was referring to.
yeah, i will try putting an SSD plus with 1TB in my pc and also have a 4x4GB to get 16GB of ram
if that doesn't work, i will try to upgrade my processor

also have a 4x4GB to get 16GB of ram
I hope that's at least DDR4?
Your current RAM is DDR3, which is ancient tech—15 years old. DDR5 is the current version, altho not quite settled in yet as far as I know.

As the guys suggest, your PC is seriously imbalanced. I recommend you watch/read a couple of 'Intro to PCs' videos or articles to get an appreciation for the importance of matched parts for best overall performance.

I'm surprised you were able to launch Overwatch, never mind actually play.

@COLGeek @Lutfij Guys, is that mobo up to modern RAM, GPU etc? Just askin' in case it's a waste putting good stuff into it.

Reactions: redmark_
Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
Your current RAM is DDR3, which is ancient tech—15 years old. DDR5 is the current version, altho not quite settled in yet as far as I know.

As the guys suggest, your PC is seriously imbalanced. I recommend you watch/read a couple of 'Intro to PCs' videos or articles to get an appreciation for the importance of matched parts for best overall performance.

@COLGeek @Lutfij Guys, is that mobo up to modern RAM, GPU etc? Just askin' in case it's a waste putting good stuff into it.
i don't know, DDR5 RAMs are expensive? also i don't know if my mother board can handle DDR5 RAMs

COLGeek

No. The mobo uses DDR3. Spending more money on the old tech would be better to be saved for a new CPU/mobo/memory upgrade.

The truth of the matter is, the platform is beyond what it was meant for. If anything it might've been a gaming system about a decade or so ago. Now, it's very much an entry level office PC. OP hasn't mentioned the make and model of the PSU which is another point of concern since a badly built, inadequate PSU is detrimental to a build especially with the RTX3000 series of GPU's, which can and also be a cause for bad FPS seeing how a PSU unable to deliver power to said GPU might just cripple the GPU in the long run.

We can suggest sticking to the current platform, get higher capacity ram, an SSD and perhaps a higher pedigree processor but it's just money spent towards a platform that is beyond it's useful life, not to mention that the cost of parts+labor+grey hair will most definitely equal to the cost of a concurrent system.

All the above is broadly true, but technically the I5 4460 with 8GB is over minimun specs.

If its not a PSU issue, which it very well could be, I would first suggest checking CPU temperatures while playing the game using a tool like HWINFO. It could that replacing thermal paste on the CPU or a good deep clean would help a lot.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
The truth of the matter is, the platform is beyond what it was meant for. If anything it might've been a gaming system about a decade or so ago. Now, it's very much an entry level office PC. OP hasn't mentioned the make and model of the PSU which is another point of concern since a badly built, inadequate PSU is detrimental to a build especially with the RTX3000 series of GPU's, which can and also be a cause for bad FPS seeing how a PSU unable to deliver power to said GPU might just cripple the GPU in the long run.

We can suggest sticking to the current platform, get higher capacity ram, an SSD and perhaps a higher pedigree processor but it's just money spent towards a platform that is beyond it's useful life, not to mention that the cost of parts+labor+grey hair will most definitely equal to the cost of a concurrent system.
my PSU is MPII 650 made by mars gaming which has a total power of 650W

Aug 27, 2022
Visit site
I wish you bought into a better quality PSU....and that you didn't buy an RTX 3060 while on that platform unless you were planning an imminent upgrade to said platform.
i mean, why? my PSU is enough to my pc, i had to change it because my RTX needed two cables and my old PSU had only one

The PSU is the fuel for your rigs engine. If you put poor quality fuel into an engine over time things get gunked up and eventually stop working properly or blow up.

View: https://youtu.be/p4QtbahNK2M?t=454

Thats a 450w PSU, all your important components work off the 12v rail. Cheapo PSU's often over state their capacity in that way by including teh 5v and 3.3v in the total. I've never heard of the brand and I cant find a review from any reputable site. All red flags I'm sorry to say.

Any way you might be O-K until it blows up because your CPU uses so little power. If youre completely against a new PSU at this point then check your temps if you havent already.

TRENDING THREADS