Right to Repair—New York passes law

This is excellent news. On this side of the pond consumer groups (and the European Commission?) have been fighting for this. The idea is to try to make consumer goods last longer and get away from the "broke - throw it in land fill" culture. I wonder if it will every apply to software - imagine Microsoft having to support Windows 8 or have to make the code available. The mind boggles.

Reactions: Brian Boru
This is excellent news. On this side of the pond consumer groups (and the European Commission?) have been fighting for this. The idea is to try to make consumer goods last longer and get away from the "broke - throw it in land fill" culture. I wonder if it will every apply to software - imagine Microsoft having to support Windows 8 or have to make the code available. The mind boggles.
I don't believe it will ever apply to software, at least it shouldn't. Microsoft has never charged you for fixing problems with Windows. They provide a constant stream of free updates. But if you have a specific problem, they really aren't any help at all. Everyone already fixes their own problems or takes their computer into a local shop to fix it. Windows is more of an example of what these bills are shooting for rather than something that needs fixing.

Tennessee is planning to put a right to repair bill up for a vote this year. We passed a more limited version of one in 2019 that mostly dealt with farm equipment. Hopefully a lot of states, including TN, will get to work on the electronics side of things.

Reactions: Brian Boru
imagine Microsoft having to support Windows 8
They still do, for another 6 months:

With Windows 10 a freebie for a year—and still is as far as I know if you poke around—it would be tough to pin that on MS, especially since the various Windows product life cycles have been published for decades.

I also don't think something like this should apply to software. The security vulnerability of older stuff is just too much to keep it around beyond its usefulness, at some stage it must be dumped and replaced by newer safer software.

TRENDING THREADS