Retro Gaming Devices

I keep looking at the Amiga 500 Mini which has been released this year - costs about £120 in the UK. It will run A500 and A1200 games and comes with 25 games preloaded. Pure nostalgia. So far my wallet has stayed tightly closed.

Any one bought one or planning to do so?

My 1st run in with Nintendo too. I didn't know it at the time obviously. Never knew they kept making them until 1988.

The sound of the games stopped me watching 2nd video. We forget that sound wasn't always as it is now. Clicks were all some games had, not even beeps.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Before I ever laid hands or eyes on a PC, I got a Spectravideo for £25 in early 80s. Main interest was to mess around with BASIC, but it was also "fun" to type in games from a magazine—and then correct the typos the following month 😒

Might've been this guy, don't remember the detail:

Was fun loading stuff via cassette tape, sometimes it would be done in less than 5 minutes! Don't forget to rewind the tape before you finish! Yeah, right…

Reactions: redmark_
I don't recall if I ever got a game to work after typing it out myself. I know we had something on tape as I remember the tape deck we used. I am sure I tried to write something out from a magazine. Need to look in box my PC sits on as may have some old magazines in there still.
I just realised that the spot where our old computer used to sit is the same area mum has her PC now. For some reason the computer was in my brothers room.
It was only 40 years ago now. Can I go back?

Before I ever laid hands or eyes on a PC, I got a Spectravideo for £25 in early 80s. Main interest was to mess around with BASIC, but it was also "fun" to type in games from a magazine—and then correct the typos the following month 😒

Might've been this guy, don't remember the detail:

Was fun loading stuff via cassette tape, sometimes it would be done in less than 5 minutes! Don't forget to rewind the tape before you finish! Yeah, right…
huh, that's cool, although I don't relate at all... haha *nervous laughter

but that reminds me of the story I read from Elon Musk's biography of how he made a game at 12 years old and sold it for $500 at the time...

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Well i would like to buy it actually. The last "retro" console i bought a couple of years age was PS3, and i actually enjoy playing it, though this is not the best console

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but is there a large market for these sorts of newly manufactured, retro gaming handhelds? It wouldn't surprise me, but I have been out of the loop for so long, that I really don't have a clue.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but is there a large market for these sorts of newly manufactured, retro gaming handhelds? It wouldn't surprise me, but I have been out of the loop for so long, that I really don't have a clue.
I think it's probably pretty niche, but there's a large enough market that they think it's worth it to keep putting them out. Personally, I don't get it, especially since I could do all of that from a PC if I wanted. But there are enough people out there who do buy them.

I think it's probably pretty niche, but there's a large enough market that they think it's worth it to keep putting them out. Personally, I don't get it, especially since I could do all of that from a PC if I wanted. But there are enough people out there who do buy them.
Thank you for your reply. I will need to do some additional research then. I would love another Pokemon Red playthrough experience. That shows how long I've been away from handheld gaming. Retro indeed.

Well, some people leave the house fairly regularly and for them it's great if they can bring a gaming system with them, and I don't mean like this:

man-carrying-a-desktop-computer-around-his-shoulders-as-if-it-is-a-mobile-device.jpg

Of course you can game on your phone as well and your phone can actually do pretty much anything those retro handheld devices can do, they're not nearly as comfortable to use in my opinion.

Well, some people leave the house fairly regularly and for them it's great if they can bring a gaming system with them, and I don't mean like this:

man-carrying-a-desktop-computer-around-his-shoulders-as-if-it-is-a-mobile-device.jpg

Of course you can game on your phone as well and your phone can actually do pretty much anything those retro handheld devices can do, they're not nearly as comfortable to use in my opinion.
Well, I never leave my house. I just sit in my recliner all day and game at home.

DaCQJq7VAAE3LGB.jpg

Apr 8, 2023
Visit site
Ah nostalgia! Back in my day, we didn't need fancy-schmancy consoles or handheld thingamajigs to play video games. We had a joystick, a button, and a whole lot of imagination. And we liked it that way! Time to dust off that old Atari. :)

TRENDING THREADS