PCG Article Resident Evil 4 Remake Review

Capcom was not in for an easy ride with this one. There are great games and then there are the classics, games so forward-thinking and complete that they shape entire corners of our industry. In Resident Evil 4's case, every third-person game since has worn its love for Capcom's masterpiece on their over-the-shoulder sleeves: Everything from Gears of War to Dead Space to The Last of Us runs because Capcom showed them all how to walk.

The review

I totally missed the original, hopefully that means I'll be able to appreciate this game on its own merit, excited it to play this when I get around to it.
There's a line in there somewhere along the lines of "If you haven't played the first one, it would be a great game." And I looked at a review round-up which had a lot of perfect scores from people like IGN, VG247, and Gamespot, plus a 9.5/10 from Game Informer, so it sounds like it's pretty good if you aren't someone like me who has played RE4 repeatedly through the years. But I'll probably like it, too.

Thought it was kind of funny in the PCG review that the reviewer said that playing on the highest difficulty was recommended for players who had played the original and then went on to say that they died at least 6 times in the village scene. If I died 6 times in the opening fight, I'd probably be looking to start over on an easier difficulty.

Anyway, I've played the original so much that I'm probably going to wait for a sale for this unless the launch hype corrupts my brain.

I read the review as saying that this game is great but it doesnt innovate or bring anything new to the table in the same way the old game did. I wasn't really expecting a remake to do anything like that, but maybe its objectively better than the original side by side without being as groundbreaking.

Dunno, sounds like a fun time anyway. Also made me more interested in playing Village when they say that 4 inspired it. I played a bit of 7 and it was fine, but I prefer being the cat than the mouse. Or at least to be a rat with a pointy stick, or something.

I read the review as saying that this game is great but it doesnt innovate or bring anything new to the table in the same way the old game did. I wasn't really expecting a remake to do anything like that, but maybe its objectively better than the original side by side without being as groundbreaking.

Dunno, sounds like a fun time anyway. Also made me more interested in playing Village when they say that 4 inspired it. I played a bit of 7 and it was fine, but I prefer being the cat than the mouse. Or at least to be a rat with a pointy stick, or something.
Village has some of that playing the mouse as well, though not nearly as much as 7. You are definitely the cat in 4, though.

I did think that Village was sort of a tribute, or love letter, to 4, but 4 was so brilliant that Village didn't really come that close to matching it, although it was a fine game. Pretty much every single sequence of 4 was top notch and very memorable.

I played the original re4 on the ps2 so i'm kinda skeptical as to how much different it really will be. Its the same story with Dead space, i played that back in the day and it looks/feels similar that i doubt there is any significant differences to justify another trip on the kill beast buffet USG ishimura.

I echo the sentiments that RE4 when it first came out was brilliant as it was a new/fresh direction not only for RE series but for survival horror and 3rd person shooters. What does the remake bring besides a fancy touch up?

Still, if someone would like to give me a copy of the game to prove me wrong? feel free to PM me a steam key. Oh and whilst you're at it, if you have a spare key of planet coaster/zoo or darktide floating around i'll have them too.... 😜

Im liking the remake since i bought it on accident (its weird saying that). I played 4 and 5 and would honestly play a RE5 remake too. It runs great at 2k, but it has a FPS limiter of 120 :(, but it also runs good at 4k for me too getting around 100 in the best spots. So no problems there.

Guns, sound and the missing QTEs are all fine to me and i liked the combat for 4 and 5 and that is still all there, just looks better. So, if you played it and youre a fan its worth playing it again, maybe when its not 60 bucks.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Finally got around to playing it a couple of weeks ago. Currently about 7 hours in and I’m almost done with Ch. 10 (I’m at the part where Leon’s in the cave after
Ashley gets the drink thingy).
It’s really fun and well balanced. I usually hate any crafting ever in shooters but it’s not annoying at all in this since it forces you to improvise. Combat is slick and the animations are really fluid and give it that action hero feel. I’m not a huge fan of the puzzles but most are pretty short (except that annoyed hex one). Great story too, although it was dampened a bit during the first part of the castle with those stupid catapults killing Ashley every 5ft.. I’m interested to see how the island goes!