PCG Article Resident Evil 4 Remake

Unquestionably, Resident Evil 4 was one of the most groundbreaking and influential games ever made (@Brian Boru should have a grudge against it for inventing the over-the-shoulder TPP), and while it's still completely playable, the controls are wonky and the graphics are less than inspiring, so not that long ago, we heard that Capcom was remaking it.

It comes out next March. Here's the one trailer that has been released so far:

And here's the PCG article:

Resident Evil 4 Remake: What we know so far

I think two things are pretty clear from what we know so far. 1) Capcom realizes that you absolutely cannot screw up this remake, and 2) It's the best environmental art Capcom has ever created. I wish they had put that much effort into the character models, but they are of acceptable quality.

I think this is the only game I've played both on console and on PC. I played it first on PC and then got it for the Wii (which was a blast). It's easily in my top 5 games list, even though I forgot about it in the top 100 games post the other day.

If you have any thoughts, memories or experiences to share, please go ahead. As more news comes out, I'll tack it on to this thread.

Resident Evil 4 … inventing the over-the-shoulder TPP
First game I played with that was Tomb Raider, long before RE4—so relax everyone, no grudge :)
best environmental art Capcom has ever created
If that's release-day gameplay footage—which is very doubtful, given AAA trends—it is really good. And they sure nailed the letters and numbers :D

First game I played with that was Tomb Raider, long before RE4—so relax everyone, no grudge :)

If that's release-day gameplay footage—which is very doubtful, given AAA trends—it is really good. And they sure nailed the letters and numbers :D
The TPP of Tomb Raider and RE4 are completely different. RE4 is widely considered the originator of over-the-shoulder. Splinter Cell from 2002 zoomed into a similar view when you were shooting, but you couldn't really see the character well, and it was only while aiming. RE4 was the first to actually pull it off and Gears of War was the next.

I don't know if those will be gameday graphics, but Capcom doesn't have a record of downgrading. In fact, they couldn't get Resident Evil 8 to work on PS4 and Xbox One, so they just canceled it coming to those consoles and kept the high end graphics.

The TPP of Tomb Raider and RE4 are completely different. RE4 is widely considered the originator of over-the-shoulder. Splinter Cell from 2002 zoomed into a similar view when you were shooting, but you couldn't really see the character well, and it was only while aiming. RE4 was the first to actually pull it off and Gears of War was the next.
The over-the-shoulder thing was basically just first person with a character at the bottom of the screen. The origin of what we now know as 3rd person with intelligent cameras is actually an interesting story. The original Tomb Raider dev team and the Super Mario 64 dev team were both working on that same idea at the same time, and they had no idea anyone else was doing it. So they both came out around the same time with this new way of doing 3rd person. They were the first two games that did it that way.

TPP of Tomb Raider and RE4 are completely different
Oh of course, 9 years back then was a lifetime gap :)

I also remember Grim Fandango from around mid-90s was TPP, but not over shoulder if I recall correctly. I might check out the remaster sometime, since it added mouse control…

Capcom doesn't have a record of downgrading
Good to hear, let's hope it holds up.

Reactions: Frindis and Pifanjr
Oh of course, 9 years back then was a lifetime gap :)

I also remember Grim Fandango from around mid-90s was TPP, but not over shoulder if I recall correctly. I might check out the remaster sometime, since it added mouse control…

Good to hear, let's hope it holds up.
I feel like you really don't understand what we are talking about. Either that or you are just trying to irritate me. Tomb Raider wasn't over-the-shoulder. And it's not because 9 years had passed between Tomb Raider and RE4. It's because they are completely different things. Over-the-shoulder is a specific thing, and it was done first by RE4. Per Wikipedia via The National Post:

(2005) was influential in helping to redefine the third-person shooter genre,[52] with its use of "over the shoulder" offset camera angles, where the camera is placed directly over the right shoulder and therefore doesn't obscure the action.[53]

When I said RE4 was the first over-the-shoulder TPP game, I wasn't guessing. Literally just about everyone knows that as a fact. For the record, Tomb Raider is considered the 3rd Third Person Shooter.

Last edited:
Tidbit of the day: the earliest famous appearance of the OTS view is generally credited to Vermeer in his painting The Allegory of Painting.

dW9KyLo.png

TRENDING THREADS