Random Hardware topics

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Dont mind me, just lusting after another Fractal Design case. Proper lush.

Here's me waiting for the mid range cards, Nvidia coming in with the 4 slot cooler and potential 600W TDP

Allegedly

Sold a 128GB Samsung 830 SATA SSD that I'd had for 8 or 9 years as a boot drive at the time, Samsung
Magician reported 95% drive health.

I'm really not sure if NVME's will have that kind of lifespan. They run so much hotter than SATA because of their size and place on the motherboard.

The new consoles are both using storage tech that streams data super fast from NVME storage to VRAM/RAM. I dont know exactly how it works, but Direct Storage is the PC version of that, and it will bring performance benefits to games that use it you wont get without an NVME drive. So I'm happy that my PCI-E Gen 3.0 drive will be most likely be able to give some of that benefit in the future. I dont think SATA speeds will cut it with the tech.

Dont know if you knew or cared about any of that, but it does explain why I might care so I thought it worth saying :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
freeCodeCamp.org is one of the tip-top YT channels, and just put this out:

Computer & Technology Basics Course for Absolute Beginners
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2kg3MOk1sY

I haven't watched, but a few comments I scanned were appreciative—and I know FCC content is usually high grade.

⭐ Course Contents ⭐
⌨ (00:00:00) Introduction
⌨ (00:00:55) What Is a Computer?
⌨ (00:03:37) Buttons and Ports on a Computer
⌨ (00:06:01) Basic Parts of a Computer
⌨ (00:08:47) Inside a Computer
⌨ (00:10:58) Getting to Know Laptop Computers
⌨ (00:12:55) Understanding Operating Systems
⌨ (00:14:21) Understanding Applications
⌨ (00:15:53) Setting Up a Desktop Computer
⌨ (00:18:47) Connecting to the Internet
⌨ (00:22:41) What Is the Cloud?
⌨ (00:25:06) Cleaning Your Computer
⌨ (00:29:02) Protecting Your Computer
⌨ (00:32:17) Creating a Safe Workspace
⌨ (00:36:25) Internet Safety: Your Browser's Security Features
⌨ (00:38:36) Understanding Spam and Phishing
⌨ (00:43:27) Understanding Digital Tracking
⌨ (00:45:39) Windows Basics: Getting Started with the Desktop
⌨ (00:47:40) Mac OS X Basics: Getting Started with the Desktop
⌨ (00:52:26) Browser Basics

Reactions: Why_Me
Jayz says nobody should have to spend more than $200-250 on a motherboard. Do you agree?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEJ1c1TYps

I think I spent over $100 on a mobo maybe once—so say ~$150 adjusted for inflation.
No idea about AMD, but unless someone plans on using a power hog such as the 13900K then I don't see a reason for spending over $250 for a board. If someone wants all the bells & whistles including 4080 audio codec and enough PCIe lanes to run dual M.2 SSD's this board down below fits the ticket.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8m6p99/msi-pro-z790-a-wifi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-z790-a-wifi
MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI $239.99

I probably have given everything more expensive here. Good chance the last few been over 100.
My current Gigabyte X570 motherboard cost $AUD 369 here. And its almost entry lvl.
My previous Z97 mb cost $AUD 339

So yes, I have spent more... I have a Asus Deluxe model mb about 15 years ago, hate to think what it cost.

X670 boards are around $450 here.

Not in a rush to upgrade, I have 32gb of ram that I can't use in next PC so might as well get money worth now. More likely to get a 5800x3d and make PC last a few more years.

i use Radeon chill, minimum of 75, max of 141. GPU can obviously do more but monitor can't. i have no idea of usage of my card in games. But well, none of the games I play so far on it have been graphically intensive. Not sure when that will change really.

some people are going nuts over specs of this game

Minimum:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Memory: 16(Dual-channel) GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super (VRAM 8 GB) / Radeon RX 5700XT (8GB)
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 110 GB available space
Recommended
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i7-12700 / AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory: 16(Dual-channel) GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti (VRAM 12 GB) / AMD Radeon RX 6800XT (VRAM 16 GB)
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 110 GB available space

strange, I am sure I have seen that game advertised as needing 32gb of ram as well.

if more games match PS5/Xbox specs they will want an 8 core CPU as minimum to play.
The GPU specs is based on VRAM.

@Colif quoted this here to avoid too much OT in the other thread.

Chill is the thing that bascially zeros power usage when the camera isnt moving right? I turned all of those faetures off when I had some stability problems with games when I first got the GPU.

I said it before here somewhere, but I think the new consoles reserve one or two cores for the OS and background processes, unlike PC's. Theyre also basically Ryzen 3600 Zen 2 series CPU's for games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04r0zxenBUQ&t=1s

Seems to me for this console generation 6 core CPU's will be enough in the same way the old consoles had very weak 8 core CPU's and during that time modern dual cores with HT were pretty much enough to run any console game easily. Maybe even 4 cores with HT will be enough as the IPC in current gen is quite a bit higher than what the consoles have already.

GPU wise we are already seeing where thats going. 8GB is going to be a problem quite soon for new games, and if you want to use RT even 12 looks to be pushing it for some titles.

qLJHeQ3.jpg

Radeon chill limits FPS to save power, the one you were thinking of is Radeon Boost - I have never used it, I only know what it does from watching guides on the driver package

GPU wise we are already seeing where thats going. 8GB is going to be a problem quite soon for new games, and if you want to use RT even 12 looks to be pushing it for some titles.

12 is almost not enough already. Nvidia GPU on the edge except a few models. Half the AMD ones are fine. The 8gb AMD cards were never sold as high end.

I have a question, does anyone actually play games at ultra settings? I mean, I have 2nd best AMD card and I don't push settings and generally leave them as is.

Last edited:
Ahh I see. The tool tip for Chill makes it sound like something different.

I'm waiting on the 7800X/7700Xm later in the year. Also waiting on what kind of bonus and tax returns I get in autumn which is a pretty major factor on how much cash I can frit on a GPU :)

I'd like to be able to use Ultra +RT at over 60FPS in some games ideally. Its still a big ask on mid range GPUs. I wonder how UE5 and Lumen will affect RT eventually if they have a similar quality with much less performance cost. Maybe other engines/devs will figure something out as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts