Random Game Thoughts Thread - March 12 - March 18

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I played about an hour of DUSKERS today. I tried using a mine, but it didn't work for some reason and I lost all of my active drones. Luckily I still had one in reserve, though it only had two slots for upgrades. I got lucky on the second ship I found afterwards and managed to grab another drone. Now I just need to find a new ship, as the current one is breaking. However, I'll either need to find one with slots for ship upgrades that I can somehow clear or I need to find a new generator upgrade if I want to be able to open any doors on the ships I board. Or I need to find enough scrap to make a new generator upgrade, but with everything falling apart I'd rather not have to spend it on that.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dying Light studio remembers it's working on an 'exotic open world' fantasy RPG a mere 7 years after announcing it | PC Gamer

This article reminded me of a thread we had awhile back, something to the effect of: "How far in advance do you want to know about a game". My personal feeling is that developers should just "shut it", and not even give us a hint of these games that they're thinking about or are in a very early stage of development. Just wait until the game is nearing completion, so that you actually know that it will be a game and not just an idea.

This unnamed game sounds interesting to me, as any open world, single-player, first person RPG would be, just don't tell us about it until it's a reality. I fear the same thing may apply to Avowed, the announced first-person RPG set in the Pillars of Eternity universe. Maybe that game is on a backburner, or maybe it's just abandoned, but either way, I'd rather not know the game, or game idea, even existed if it's cancelled or years away. Let me know about it when you're close to release, and my excitement wil be increased.

In other gaming news & random thoughts:

Anyone buying anything from the Steam Spring Sale? I think @ZedClampet bought Grim Dawn for himself and Guido.
The best deals in the 2023 Steam Spring Sale | PC Gamer

For me, probably nothing, even though many games on my wish list are on sale, and many of the deep discounts are for games I already own. But looking at the games listed in that article, if you love CRPGs and have never played the Pillars of Eternity games, they're both on sale for %75 off, both great CRPGs.

Anyone buying anything from the Steam Spring Sale? I think @ZedClampet bought Grim Dawn for himself and Guido.

For me, probably nothing, even though many games on my wish list are on sale, and many of the deep discounts are for games I already own. But looking at the games listed in that article, if you love CRPGs and have never played the Pillars of Eternity games, they're both on sale for %75 off, both great CRPGs.

I haven't had much time to game recently and Epic keeps giving me interesting games faster than I can play them, so I don't expect to be buying anything for a while, especially not any full games. I'm a bit on the fence still about buying another Total War: Warhammer 2 DLC, but I'll probably wait until the next sale and see if I've managed to get some more time to play by then.

Currently sitting in a queue to play Diablo 4 (about 5 minutes remaining after waiting for ~15 min.)

I know at this point that BETAs are going to be rocky regardless if its a AAA, AA or indie studio and all the complaining about it kinda bothers me because its a BETA. Its like the term ALPHA and BETA have lost all meaning anymore because, somehow people expect a BETA to run like an official release.

Im not defending blizzard here because they could probably have invested more money into this problem since BETAs are usually problematic (esp. for them) but sometimes you cant predict how many people are logging in. Theres probably easily 100k+ all at once logging in.

So i was reading the new Destiny 2 article by Phil Savage and i have to agree with most of what hes written but if i were to rate it id give it something more in the high 70s/low 80s but thats just me, the new ability has been super easy for me to pick up and keep me alive in most situations where im underpowered, i also play a lot with clan members which still carries big positive weight for my experience in Destiny regardless if the campaigns and the subsequent weekly story drops are not the best.

Last edited:
Dying Light studio remembers it's working on an 'exotic open world' fantasy RPG a mere 7 years after announcing it | PC Gamer

This article reminded me of a thread we had awhile back, something to the effect of: "How far in advance do you want to know about a game". My personal feeling is that developers should just "shut it", and not even give us a hint of these games that they're thinking about or are in a very early stage of development. Just wait until the game is nearing completion, so that you actually know that it will be a game and not just an idea.

This unnamed game sounds interesting to me, as any open world, single-player, first person RPG would be, just don't tell us about it until it's a reality. I fear the same thing may apply to Avowed, the announced first-person RPG set in the Pillars of Eternity universe. Maybe that game is on a backburner, or maybe it's just abandoned, but either way, I'd rather not know the game, or game idea, even existed if it's cancelled or years away. Let me know about it when you're close to release, and my excitement wil be increased.

In other gaming news & random thoughts:

I'm extremely interested in the Techland RPG, but, then again, I've been interested in it for so long that I keep forgetting about it. At one point, word was that it had been canceled. It even had a name, which the article doesn't mention, back in the day and some screen shots. I suppose we'll see if anything comes of it now that Dying Light 2 is in long-term maintenance mode.

As for the sale, I got the aforementioned Grim Dawn, and then I picked up two more cheapos that had been on my wishlist, Cryofall (survival) and Stellar Tactics (CRPG). Played some Cryofall yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm going to give Stellar Tactics a try as soon as I fully wake up.

and Stellar Tactics (CRPG). Played some Cryofall yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm going to give Stellar Tactics a try as soon as I fully wake up.
Let me know how that Stellar Tactics gameplay goes, I really want this game (it's been on my wish list for years), as I love CRPGs and this was the first one I've ever seen that had a sci-fi/space exploration theme. It looks really good and the Steam reviews are very positive, I just find myself hesitating on a purchase because it's been in early access for almost 7 years (Sept 2016).

Do you know how Microsoft could make all of our lives easier? Add an empty file folder in Documents called "Game Saves". That's all they would have to do. Most developers would start using it, I think.
That would be great. I get so tired of trying to find the save folders for some games, as I often like to backup some game's saves, or delete others, and sometimes I've uninstalled a game but the saves remained. Having one folder location where I could check would be much easier.

Add an empty file folder in Documents called "Game Saves".
That's probably what they thought…
C:\Users\Brian\Documents\My Games
…would be used for. Just scanning the games there, about half of mine seem to have a Saves folder in them—but the others don't, so it's inconsistent.

But folder structure has never been MS's strong suit, it's usually only better than their app naming.

That's probably what they thought…
C:\Users\Brian\Documents\My Games
…would be used for. Just scanning the games there, about half of mine seem to have a Saves folder in them—but the others don't, so it's inconsistent.

But folder structure has never been MS's strong suit, it's usually only better than their app naming.
My Games should be where games install to, but since there are a bunch of different stores, it doesn't really work. Sad part is that Microsoft doesn't even use that folder. They use WindowsApps. No idea where they save to. Maybe the same place.

Part of the problem may be that a lot of developers don't want you to have access to the save files, so they store everything in "hidden" folders.

WOOO! University of Tennessee beat Duke 65 to 52 to advance to the Sweet 16. Been a good year for my sports teams. The football team went 11 -2, beating 4 of the 5 most recent national champions, and trounced Clemson in a New Years day bowl.