Question Ram maxing out causing serious frame lag in games

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Could be the new nvidia drivers? I haven't played Warzone in a few months. But I went to play it and during the game I am getting a hard frame lag that literally chops the gameplay about 0.5 seconds-2 seconds. But what I notice is my RAM is starting at about 65-70% memory usage when I first start playing warzone everything seems fine no choppy frame lag, then after 10-12 games, its up to 90% mem. usage and its chopping the screen so bad I can't do much. Im also noticing my GPU at about 30% usage and CPU at 50%. Is there anything I can do? the high RAM usage has got to be whats causing the hard frame lag. I also noticed this in LostARK which is what I've been playing over Warzone the past 20 days and Path of Exile before that.
Temp is at a constant 65deg. during gameplay, I have tried optimizing to performance in Gforce XP app, Ive capped my FPS at 120;then 100;then 80 it still happens. Ive watched youtube videos and tried setups for the nvidia geforce control panel that are meant to optimize gameplay. I have tried to turn off most background apps that I can apart from LogiHub(Mouse), Razer Cortex(keyboard) and SteelSeries Engine(Headset) Also, possibly of note? Razer cortex also runs some kind of optimizing program for me when it starts a game. saying it frees up RAM to optimize. It definitely seems to make a difference versus starting the game with Cortex closed, Ram usage is higher if I dont start the game through Cortex and climbs in a shorter time frame.

If someone is familiar with this issue, is there an easy way to stop the ram usage increase? see if that alone fixes the problem? is it simply just memory storing more and more of the maps rendering and somehow requiring more RAM? is there a way I can stop this?
My Rig:
CPU-AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MB-Asus ROG STRIX B-550 Gaming
GPU-Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660ti
16gb 3200mhz LPX vengeance for AMD design
1TB Corsair MP600core nvme SSD
850W PS

if you are using that much ram, buy more.

What happens as you get closer to 90% usage is windows tries to close as much as possible of other things to give you space but it can only shrink so far before its all running off Page file which is on your nvme, and nowhere near as fast as ram is. The moving/closing files that are compressed in ram and copying the files to page file could cause choppiness. As game loads from same drive its copying too.

the choppiness could be cause its running more off page file.

is it only in that game? if you find ram usage growing during day without playing the game, it could be a memory leak caused by a driver, but if ram returns after playing the game, its not a driver leak.

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Is buying more RAM really the only fix? or are we just throwing more space/money at the problem? I was under the impression that 16GB is more than enough to run most games, and Warzone from my understanding is far from 1 of the most demanding games on PCs? IF RAM is the only true fix to this problem. What do you recommend is the best option for performance? would buying and using 2 - 2x8 sets of my current RAM be best or should I be looking to switch to 2x16? I don't know how the dual channel system works if the RAM isn't a sequential single set.

The RAM does increase slightly during daily use. starts around 32-35%(I assume this is OS and all startup/background apps) but I haven't noticed it go over more than 40% for things like streaming services or web browsing.... This I assumed is due to things like me having multiple browser tabs open or having browsed the internet or streamed videos for hours that more memory is being cached data stored in my current sessions till I close all internet processes. the more tabs you open the more processes you start the more memory it consumes kind of thing.

But if I am playing Warzone the RAM usage starts at in the low to mid 60s% but travels up to hit 90-92% and rendering my PC unable to function. This also was a bigger problem before I tried to mitigate it. Before mitigations, my PC was starting this game in the 70s%. I found an article suggesting I go into the warzone .exe files compatibility and disable fullscreen optimizations? Not sure if this helped... I also found and article that suggested going into the warzone advanced config and changing the RendererWorkerCount cores from 4 to 6. this increased some CPU usage from about 30% to 50% and reduce the initial games memory usage into the 60% range.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I also noticed this in LostARK which is what I've been playing over Warzone the past 20 days and Path of Exile before that

Is buying more RAM really the only fix? or are we just throwing more space/money at the problem?

I'm not familiar with your games, and no expert on this, but everything I read and see from experts says 16GB is fine for almost all games for the next few years.

That this occurs in 3 different games points away from insufficient RAM, and towards some specific PC problem. Which gets you into troubleshooting mode. 2 initial suggestions:

♣ Can you get 2 other RAM sticks somewhere and try those?

♦ Can you roll back the recent Nvidia driver update?

I guess from your OP that you were able to play those games without a problem last year, is that correct?

Depending on how you currently play:

♥ Drop the game settings

♠ Drop your monitor resolution

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
♣ Can you get 2 other RAM sticks somewhere and try those?

♦ Can you roll back the recent Nvidia driver update?

I guess from your OP that you were able to play those games without a problem last year, is that correct?

Depending on how you currently play:

♥ Drop the game settings

♠ Drop your monitor resolution
I unfortunately don't have similar RAM available, Id have to go purchase.
I can roll back the driver, I was just checking to see if anyone knew of any fixes or had similar issues and maybe it wasnt driver related. I will give this a try likely.
LostArk wasnt available last year. Just released in Feb. Warzone was always having a bit of frame lag, but it wasn't game breaking like it is now where when I ADS or just have alot going on on screen it almost like freezes the screen and i end up in some random place from where I thought I was even if I stopped moving to wait for the game to catch up. And Path of Exile, the graphics are pretty demanding when endgame mobs and mechanics start going off so the little bit of frame chop I saw I figured was normal.

I have dropped MOST my in game settings to low graphics settings to try to counter this already.

you think I should drop my monitor resolution from 1920x1080? That would strike me as not fixing the problem more trying to cater to it? My system is not bad enough that it shouldnt be able to handle these games... I didn't really buy this setup only to compromise 90% of my experience.

I previously ran all this on an 11 year old intel i7 950, 18gb 1333mhz DDR6, a 512gb SATA HDD and the nvidia 1660ti and it ran almost the same as what i have now.... and warzone didnt have the massive chop. How can I upgrade everything but the gpu and still be in the same state if not worse.

[Mod edit: fixed quote.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
I unfortunately don't have similar RAM available, Id have to go purchase.
I can roll back the driver, I was just checking to see if anyone knew of any fixes or had similar issues and maybe it wasnt driver related. I will give this a try likely.
LostArk wasnt available last year. Just released in Feb. Warzone was always having a bit of frame lag, but it wasn't game breaking like it is now where when I ADS or just have alot going on on screen it almost like freezes the screen and i end up in some random place from where I thought I was even if I stopped moving to wait for the game to catch up. And Path of Exile, the graphics are pretty demanding when endgame mobs and mechanics start going off so the little bit of frame chop I saw I figured was normal.

I have dropped MOST my in game settings to low graphics settings to try to counter this already.

you think I should drop my monitor resolution from 1920x1080? That would strike me as not fixing the problem more trying to cater to it? My system is not bad enough that it shouldnt be able to handle these games... I didn't really buy this setup only to compromise 90% of my experience.

I previously ran all this on an 11 year old intel i7 950, 18gb 1333mhz DDR6, a 512gb SATA HDD and the nvidia 1660ti and it ran almost the same as what i have now.... and warzone didnt have the massive chop. How can I upgrade everything but the gpu and still be in the same state if not worse.

[Mod edit: fixed quote.]
I have the exact same problem since Warzone Pacific started.

My rig;
Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 3070
MoBo Aorus b550 elite
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB - 3200mhz

When I start gaming everything is okay and ram is around 30%. After 1 or 1.5 hour, ram is around 90% (warzone consuming around 10gb)and I start to have this irregular lag and frames drops.

Just today I increased ram to 4x8 GB also at 3200mhz and everything stays the same. When starting ram is about 30% and after the hour it spikes to 90% (warzone consuming around 20gb).

I cannot understand why this happen. I changed also resolutions, settings from low to high and high to medium but it keeps happening.

If you find a solution please share.

TRENDING THREADS