RAM issue

Feb 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi, tried to play star citizen but my 8gb laptop is lagging so it’s unplayable. Tried a system upgrade, closed background apps and don’t have anything stored on the laptop like pictures to absorb memory. My task manager says that 80% of memory is in use and I can’t see how. Any suggestions on how to make space so I can run the game?

Zloth

Community Contributor
You're confusing space on your drives with RAM. Your hard drive (or SSD or NVMe or whatever) is what sticks around when your computer is turned off. RAM is microchips in the computer and is wiped clean every time you turn off your computer.

Closing applications helps with the RAM and is what Task Manager is reporting to you. Pictures are very likely stored on the drive. Those shouldn't be interfering with your gameplay.

Reactions: Brian Boru
if its at 80% usage at start up, look in task manager/performance tab/memory and see how much is showing in non paged pool.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

All it does is stops programs loading at startup, it doesn't delete any, Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if its just in the game, its a big game. It wants as much ram as you can give it. Since its not finished it is no where near optimized yet. If they ever get around to that stage, last I saw they were telling people off for expecting them to live up to promises.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS