Question PSU Explosion Help

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I recently purchased a new pc and am building it myself. I have a Gigabyte Z490 UD AC Motherboard and an EVGA 750w Supernova PSU. I connected the pc up and was ready to start it and when I pushed the case power button the PSU Exploded and died. Any idea as to why? A list of parts in the pc is below:

- Intel Core 17 10700KF
- Gigabyte Z490 UD AC
- EVGA G5 Series 750w Supernova PSU
- ROG Strix LC 240 RGB White edition
-NZXT H510 case
- Kingston M.2 SSD
- 2TB Seagate HDD
- EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Answer is probably this: you messed up cables, connected it wrong (wrong socket, not fitted rightly etc.) or did something else that made PSU die. Probability of faulty PSU is very, very low especially for a brand that isn't random Chinese ticking bomb.

Without seeing the wiring at the moment of accident, it's impossible to say for sure.

There's also other question: did the PSU take anything else with it. I would recommend getting all your PC parts to a solid PC repair shop and let them check every part. If you are lucky, only PSU died. If not... well, better not even think about it.

In fairness I've had an EVGA Supernova develop a fault, only for the one sent to me as RMA to also be faulty.

Visually inspect and take photos of everything.

I'd suggest you contact EVGA. Not the EVGA forums, their actual customer support. They tend to be very good and sympathetic. They'll be able to run you through everything and if there was something you did wrong, identify it - and if it was just a terrible fault with the PSU, get that replaced. You certainly want to get the issue registered with them.

I'd actually suggest you don't take the parts to a repair shop if you can avoid it; certainly not in the first instance. 1) Local PC repair shop quality is extremely hit and miss. 2) it might affect manufacturers' willingness to honour their warranties. 3) You'll have to pay them. 4) You already paid EVGA for warranty service as regards the PSU when you bought the thing - start with them.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. I don't see any visual problems with the other components and the psu was the only thing that smelt/smoked so hopefully everything else is ok. I live in New Zealand so I think I have to go to the shop I bought it at to get the warranty and try to replace it.

TRENDING THREADS