PSA: Always check your computer settings and hardware carefully!

Jan 18, 2020
Visit site
So a while back I decided to treat myself to a beefy system. I'd been using some components for quite a few years and others were starting to show their age; couple that with going from a 1080p to 1440p 144hz monitor, and it was time for an upgrade.

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz w/ Kraken X62 Cooler
NVIDIA GeForce RTX AORUS 2080ti
G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 - 16GB
1x Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB
1x Samsung 860 EVO - 1TB
1x Samsung 860 EVO - 2TB
2x Western Digital Black HDD - 1TB
Corsair RM850x
NZXT S340E Case
Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 144hz G-Sync
Logitech G560 RGB Gaming Speakers

Needless to say, I liked my new system and the fancy new lights, but it never quite performed as well as I had hoped. I'd read all these reports how on X game it would run at the highest settings with Y framerate. I know every system can be different, so accepted it, and happily went about gaming.

To cut a long story short, I sent my 2080ti back to the manufacturer after I noticed that my card would climb to 80c+ on some games and the fans would ramp up past 100%. I got it sent back saying it was perfectly fine, so I took matters into my own hands. I read a thread online saying that one person took their card apart only to find that the thermal paste was poorly applied, so I took their advice and did the same. One quick repair later, and I had reduced temperatures by about 10c and performance had improved a little.

Then recently I tried playing Total War Warhammer II and couldn't get above 40fps in most situations, even dropping as low as 15fps. I altered settings, sought advice, messed around with PC settings. Nothing worked. And then I noticed it was in PCI-E x2 as opposed to x16. A quick blow of the connector and a reseat did the trick there. The performance increased has been incredibly impressive; I just tested on Red Dead Redemption 2 and easily got 60-70fps on the highest configure (note: not everything Ultra), whereas before my system struggled big-time.

I wanted to share this because there's a huge chance that both these issues, the poorly applied thermal paste and wrong lane speed, have possibly plagued some of my other systems or indeed may be an issue that others have unknowingly had. I've always had less-than-expected performance in a lot of games, and always tried a multitude of other fixes without even considering the aforementioned.

I'd also be curious to know what issues people have encountered with their systems, and how they fixed them!

Reactions: JC_Denton

JR88

BANNED
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely Bud. I check everything too, I been there as well Scratching my head and like what the hell is wrong. I check every inch...Like I had a dogged out Hynix kit and dumped that...and as well the 1060 was dogged out...I got the vega 56 and the New Crucial/Micron kit. Not Lyeing…I would Put the Made in America Micron Kit up Against Samsung in Quality. You buy get hardware I hope you know what You're getting and know what it is Man.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS