Popular Music with Attitude.

Wait a minute, a section on popular culture and no music, what the! I'm British and this stuff is like a religion around here, although I do listen to music from every era and genre.

I was just enjoying a Dutch lager and listening to some of the music I listened to when young. Music that had attitude. So post some that did it for you(live if possible).

Here's a couple that get my blood moving and feet:)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdu8VOWk3pg&ab_channel=TheSpecials

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTIhiyurWEc&ab_channel=stranglersofficial

I think live performances are more human and therefore have more emotion & passion. I just appreciate an album for the production. I like listening to them in hi res through a DAC. I like the slick presentation. Though I think most people prefer live music.
I can just really appreciate the quality of the production as well. Just bought these KRK studio monitors for PC which again give a different sound quality(still getting used to them).

I never listen to the music or tracks in games either, not sure if that's my loss. My son says I should listen to GTAV radio as it's part of the satire.

Just have some online music station on that doesn't distract too much.

I don't usually listen to live stuff either, I just felt like I needed an energy kick today. I never even went to gigs much either, but I did see Nick Cave when he first came over and there was only 14 of us in the audience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmVTgLjzJQ&ab_channel=NickCave%26TheBadSeeds

Yes there's a real power to their performance and it's good to see something different.

I'm not even much a heavy band or even guitar fan. Just like I say feel I need an energy boost mid-winter.

Mostly I listen ambient electronic, African music and Salsa +a bit of Johnny Cash and Frank I got from my dad.

Reactions: Brian Boru
First thought when I see Nick…
♦ Leonard Cohen
You're not wrong. Nick said of Leonard Cohen, 'For many of us Leonard Cohen was the greatest songwriter of them all', and he covered a few of his songs. It's not just Cohen's lyrics it that almost religious uplifting quality many of his songs like Hallelujah have.

Nick's influences and literary references are many, he also admired and worked with Johnny Cash(thankfully my Dad named my sister 'Sue').

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-x4-E0KqM&ab_channel=Kyoto

^Perfect for my chilled out mood today. Sun was even shining.

I'm not sure if you're aware of John Peel? He started on radio in Dallas, but changed the way many people here listened to music; really eclectic mixes from all over the world. So I also enjoy some reggae.

Yes sad to hear about Jeff Beck, again considered a great musician. But when people like him die, at least he had a good long life, made a great contribution and was well respected.

I do find two things about this thread. It's good to see another layer of member's interests, but also it's interesting seeing what people looked like at the time in the audience.

I spent some time in South America and they have a saying, 'it doesn't matter how bad life gets, we've always got Salsa'.
And it always makes me feel happy as well. I saw them live in Bogata, they crack me up with their dance routines.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBeHY6yoUg&ab_channel=agalarzautube

(Oh I had to look it up, Radiohead made $3M from that 'pay what you want' album, but the sales model needed refining)

Last edited:
crack me up with their dance routines
They are a happy bunch, definite smile-to-the-face—but where else could a smile go? :D

In gaming, Civilization series has always had great sound tracks. Full respect to Baba Yetu—first game music to win a Grammy—but there's one piece which always grabs me, and makes me not want to advance in the game and lose it.
It's called ConquestsFantasy1, plays during the Classical Era, located in Civ4's Warlords folder:
G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Warlords\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack\ConquestsFantasy1.mp3
Something beautifully lyrical about it.

Reactions: ipman and Zloth
^Now that's an eclectic mix. 'Altitude' indeed.

I was wondering if anyone had been introduced to new music through gaming?

The Conquests Fantasy 1 sounds very pastorial English.

new music through gaming
No, but I'd been listening to music for 25 years before I encountered my first 'wow' gaming music—Frank Klepacki's Command and Conquer series work. That, Civ's music, and Far Cry 5—loads of old songs in that, plus great cult hymns too—are my fav game soundtracks.

Meatloaf is another of my fav rockers, RIP.
I'd never seen this version of Bat Out of Hell before, is it the best?

No, but I'd been listening to music for 25 years before I encountered my first 'wow' gaming music—Frank Klepacki's Command and Conquer series work. That, Civ's music, and Far Cry 5—loads of old songs in that, plus great cult hymns too—are my fav game soundtracks.

Meatloaf is another of my fav rockers, RIP.
I'd never seen this version of Bat Out of Hell before, is it the best?
When I heard and saw that Nightwish video, I thought of Meatloaf.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS