Question Planning to upgrade my pc (little by little, what should I prioritize first?)

Oct 26, 2022
Visit site
Built in 2018, started with a R5 2400g, 2x4gb ram 2988mhz. Updated in 2020 (https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/rhWcjZ)
Planning to upgrade in order, and little by little
(https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/8FnpMb)
  • Adding Samsung G7 27" 240hz (Arriving in a few days, got it from 300€ second hand. Mainly for PS5 1440p 120hz HDMI 2.0)
  • PSU 450w to Corsair RM 850x white
  • Add same 2x8gb kit for 4x8gb in total = 64gb (will this be good? Or should I buy 2x16gb?)
  • Replacing old HDD to 2tb 7200rpm (as I'm currently using a 500gb HDD 7200rpm 10 years of age lol)
  • Case to Lian Li o11 DE EVO
  • MB to Asus ROG Strix b550-a gaming (I've done some research and b550 supposedly don't support r5 2600, but read that some mobos do, saw on reddit an Asus ROG Strix b550-f gaming work with it. Asking this as I want to delay upgrading my cpu mainly cause I'm using stock cooler... aaand Kraken z73 is expensive as **** but I do want it)
  • CPU to a R7 5800x
  • Stock AMD cooler to NZXT Kraken z73 White RGB
  • GPU (not necessary for now, I guess...) to 3080 TI

Nov 2, 2022
Visit site
Also, don’t forget about your power supply! I would recommend getting one (that is if you are willing to spend the money), that is higher wattage than you need. For what you are going for, I would recommend a 750 - 1000 watt power supply.

Oct 26, 2022
Visit site
Also, don’t forget about your power supply! I would recommend getting one (that is if you are willing to spend the money), that is higher wattage than you need. For what you are going for, I would recommend a 750 - 1000 watt power supply.
Well yes, on my original post it says “PSU 450w to a Corsair RM850x white.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
  • Add same 2x8gb kit for 4x8gb in total = 64gb (will this be good? Or should I buy 2x16gb?)
You mean 32Gb, right? I don't think all that RAM is necessary, unless you're going to be using your PC for something other than gaming of course... like graphic design or editing big video files. Or, I think if you're streaming and doing other stuff while gaming.

My (limited) understanding of it is that there's practically no benefit to having more than 16gb of RAM in a modern, gaming-exclusive PC. That'll change in the future of course, but by the time that generation of hardware swings by you'll have moved on from this machine anyway.

I'm rocking a 5800x in my current PC, matched with 16gb (2x8gb) of low-latency, 3200mhz DDR4 GSkills. The returns from getting faster DDR4 or DDR5 RAM pretty much dropped off a cliff beyond that - for pure gaming, at least.

If you do need it, I think there's some kind of issue with using all 4 RAM slots on a desktop mobo - you can do it, but the speed of slots 2 and 4 are throttled, for some reason. You'll need to look your motherboard up or ask someone on the forum who knows a lot more than I do. So in this case, you may be better off just buying 2x16gb sticks.

Reactions: Krud and Brian Boru
Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
Hi, thanks for replying. I forgot to mention that I might be buying the r7 5800x second hand, as I saw some interesting prices near my area (200€ to 230€).

Mine runs extremely hot. They're supposed to, I think the 5800x is capped at 95C or something like that, but mine would hit 90C if opened a spreadsheet on the desktop. None of the stock Ryzen coolers really cut it (not that a new 5800x comes with any cooler), so you'll want a really good air cooler or liquid cooling for this.

ok so nobody seemed to have mentioned something i just spotted i clicked on your proposed build and it has a big red banner at the top saying incompatability warning .... the motherboard .... so either the board is not suitable or the componants are not suited to it.

First i need to ask how much you have to spend ..... upgrading any pc can turn into a money pit , 1 item you choose may or will mean more expense , i would never risk upgrading in stages .

If you can afford a complete new rig i would do that and then reboot the one you have now to a never used state and keep it as a spare or a test rig .... thats what i always do.

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
ok so nobody seemed to have mentioned something i just spotted i clicked on your proposed build and it has a big red banner at the top saying incompatability warning .... the motherboard .... so either the board is not suitable or the componants are not suited to it.

Just a BIOS issue apparently: it needs to be flashed to a certain version to support the 5800x, and that might have been done at the factory already. Also, I can flash my B450 motherboard without a CPU, which might be the case for this model of B550 that @Jimin wants.

TRENDING THREADS