PC Setup

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello guys! I'm new at this hardware world and after a lot of doubts and researching, I've defined my PC gaming setup. I confess I'm still a little insecure, so I'd like to know your opinion about it:

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super
I7-9700KF
Gigabyte Aorus Z370M
2x8 Corsair Vengeance 2666Mhz
SSD: HP S700 PRO 1 tb
Corsair 80 Plus Bronze 550w
Water Cooler: Master Liquid Lite 240mm

Would you change anything?

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Are you planning on doing any overclocking?

I'd swap that PSU for something a little more robust like a Corsair RM550x. It's 550w, Fully modular & 80 Plus Gold.

I honestly plan to study for doing overclocking, but I do (in the future).
For now, I just want a Desktop which I can play my games perfectly, with no setup failures compromising my performance.

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
What is your system budget? Keep in mind that board will probably need a bios update, to run that CPU. Price/performance, AMD's Ryzen is king, right now, also.

Since I'm buiying in Brazil, prices are a little different.

I studied the possibility of going to AMD, but gave up.
Even if the Price-Performance ratio is higher on AMD, the FPS difference between them still wrap me, at least for now, that I'm a beginner.

About the board, I thought about Z390 too, but the price is like 90 dollars higher over here. Is it worth it?

If you don't have someone that can upgrade the bios for you, you will have to get a different one, unless said board has the necessary bios revision already.

Current gen Intel is a dead end, with 10th gen on its way, sometime this year, so no upgrade path. I would probably recommend an R5 3600/3600x, and use the savings towards a faster graphics card which will give you more FPS.

I honestly plan to study for doing overclocking, but I do (in the future).
For now, I just want a Desktop which I can play my games perfectly, with no setup failures compromising my performance.

I would recommend an air cooled system for now. Watercooling hardware is becoming more popular, so prices will drop over time, much like SSD's. A CPU cooler with a beefy copper heatsink and a single 92mm fan with a single rear case fan is all you really need. Watercooled systems have a chance of leaking and killing your entire system.

If you're trying to save money, the 80 Plus Gold power supply may initially come across as more expensive, but your power bill will thank you later.

A 9700kf needs more than a 92mm fan cooler, especially if wanting to overclock. For stock operation, I would want at least a 120mm cooler, like a hyper 212, or a Deepcool Gammaxx 400. For overclocking, I would say one of Noctua, Bequiet or Cryorig's larger tower coolers. Unless you leave your system on 24/7, the efficiency difference really isn't going to affect power bills much. I do recommend a quality PSU, like a seasonic Focus gold, Evga G3, or Corsair TXM/RMX, though, if you can afford it. I wouldn't want to overclock such a system, on a bronze rated corsair.

A 9700kf needs more than a 92mm fan cooler, especially if wanting to overclock. For stock operation, I would want at least a 120mm cooler, like a hyper 212, or a Deepcool Gammaxx 400. For overclocking, I would say one of Noctua, Bequiet or Cryorig's larger tower coolers. Unless you leave your system on 24/7, the efficiency difference really isn't going to affect power bills much. I do recommend a quality PSU, like a seasonic Focus gold, Evga G3, or Corsair TXM/RMX, though, if you can afford it. I wouldn't want to overclock such a system, on a bronze rated corsair.

Assuming that overclocking isn't required at this stage, 92mm is fine. But for overclocking, 120mm or watercooling.

JR88

BANNED
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
I went from a 6700k, to a 3700x, myself. I wanted better multitasking capability, and a platform that could be upgraded on, later. The increased IPC was just a bonus.

don't still underestimate the 6700k and 7700k the ipc is still really good. and the z270 boards some have some massive phasing vrms. My evga is one of them the ftwk is an 11 phase board..massively powerful for that chip...

It was a great chip, but with the recent patches, that Intel had to implement, due to all the vulnerabilities, I knew I was no longer getting the performance, that I paid for. AMD has passed Intel, in IPC, for the first time in a long time. The 6700k was probably still fine, for my usage, but I wanted more capability, going forward. I run a mini-itx setup. I had the Asus Z270 strix itx board. Now I have a 3700x with a Gigabyte Aorus x570 itx.

Reactions: JR88

JR88

BANNED
Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
AMD is on there way to surpassing all of them. And they'll hook you up doing it too. good lord what do I need 12core for and drop in etc., massively powerful at 4.6ghz too. You could throw everything at thing a million things open and doing...we won't be able to bog it. the 12 and 16thread chips are still haveing no problems...what the hell we gonna do with 24...

TRENDING THREADS