Question PC No Display

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi. My desktop's front panel's USB ports weren't working. I tried opening my pc and reseating the cables.
Turned it on, no display. Tried more than once to turn it on. Then i proceeded to look up ways to try to fix this.
(I touched the box while reseating everything, so as to not create static) I tried reseating CMOS battery,
I tried reseating and changing GPU's PCI slot. Neither slot worked. I tried reseating and cleaning the ram
contacts with a clean eraser. I even tried reseating the CPU. All cable connections appear to be okay. I've no
idea what to do now. At the very least, if anything's broken/fried, I'd like to know what. If you've got any tips
or clues on what might be the issue, shoot.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi! I did make sure about the PSU switch. Yeah, there's 1/2 lights on the motherboard, one of which I'm pretty sure is the power LED. I can't see my specs through my PC, and I don't remember much.
I do know these:
Motherboard: ASUS H170M-PLUS
CPU: Not sure, but it's an i3
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050Ti
RAM: Also not sure, I just know they're two hyperX sticks of 4GB each DDR4
Storage: One Kingston SSD and one HDD whose brand I don't remember
CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer (13, I guess)
If you really NEED more information, I'll try to open the PC and have a look at the parts to tell you exactly which ones they are.
Thanks in advance :)

OK. It would be good to know exactly what PSU make and model you have, might be the type to cause problems and we can't know if we dont know the model. Hopefully you powered the system off at the wall and pressed and held the power button for a second before you worked on the system?

Make sure 100% all cables are properly attached, take them out and put them back in if need be and try again. If it still doesn't work then I suggest you remove your graphics card, unplug your second hard drive, take out one stick of RAM and try to boot again.

The idea being, you can add one thing back in at a time, try to boot, and hopefully see which is causing the problem.

If nothing works I suspect the motherboard or PSU. You could have knocked or shorted something out while working on the system before. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to find out which short of replacing them and testing with a spare. In that case maybe someone else may have another idea, I only really know the basics from working on my own systems over the years.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
It's a Cooler Master B600 80Plus. I powered it off, unplugged the cable, flipped the switch and waited for any motherboard lights to go off every time I opened it.
I will try again to make sure all cables are properly attached. If it still doesn't work, I'll try to do what you suggested so as to try and find out what's the root of the issue here. Thank you for you reply, by the way!

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Yes you should definitely try another display, cable and port to rule that out first. I assumed lighting up meant no fans running.
I tried connecting my laptop to my monitor with the same cable and that worked. I do have fans running, both the CPU Cooler fan and the case fan. My GPU's fans also start up but then stop but I think that's a feature they have.

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
I would try to use different HDMI/Display Port cables and also a different monitor to check to make sure its not any of those if your PC is lighting up on the inside.

If your motherboard has a slot for an hdmi/display port. Use that too, see if you can see anything.
Hi! I tried my laptop with the same hdmi cable on my monitor and it works, so might not be that... Idk... I also tried connecting the cable to my motherboard's HDMI slot and it also didn't work...

Hi! I tried my laptop with the same hdmi cable on my monitor and it works, so might not be that... Idk... I also tried connecting the cable to my motherboard's HDMI slot and it also didn't work...

Sounds like your motherboard then unfortunately. Id also ask if you could potentially put your gpu into another PC with a different mobo and see if it displays but idk if you have another PC to do that with so i would start by looking over your mobo, see if everything is really connected and its being powered on.

TRENDING THREADS