Older card for now?

LWP

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
Ryzen 5 5600x, b550 mobo, 16 gb 3600mhz ram build for my daughter. Current gpus seem to be impossible to actually buy, which apparently everybody but me already knew. Haven't done a build in a long time. I realize this isn't a high end build but it's far above anything she's ever had. Anyway, the plan is for Christmas. Would buying a 1050 ti or 1650 to get by with until availability increases be a bad idea with the December deadline in mind? I'd have a use for the card once replaced in a lower spec system I already have. The games I play don't require much.

LWP

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
Shame about the crystal ball but thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Wasn't actually looking for availability predictions though, just educated opinions on my idea for a backup plan in case things don't improve by then.

LWP

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
I agree with @Colif, your idea is good since you have a future home for the card when replaced in a year or so.

I'm no expert on the details, but I'm fairly sure the '50' model is the lowest spec—ie 60, 70, 80 are stronger. Just fyi.

Yeah, the two I mentioned weren't even close to my first choice even for a temporary solution but they're all I've been able to find reliably available at a semi-decent price. Anyway, thanks for helping me with the decision. I've been putting off buying anything but time is running out and things don't seem to be improving.

Reactions: Brian Boru
1650 ti is better choice of those 2

I would still buy one now as GPU one of the parts I always upgrade in PC, so you can always get a better one at Xmas if they are easier to get then
If I had the ability to buy a cheap spare card now, I would. You can't actually buy my GPU anymore so its sort of perilous thinking about that. My old spare GPU isn't worth using as I would need to use a different monitor as well.

LWP

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
I appreciate all of the advice. I was actually able to get my hands on a 6600 xt last night for more than I wanted to pay but within what I was willing to pay under the current situation. So that won't be going in with relatively short term upgrade in mind, it's just gonna be what she's getting. I might still grab one of the two I orignally asked about for myself though.

Ryzen 5 5600x, b550 mobo, 16 gb 3600mhz ram build for my daughter. Current gpus seem to be impossible to actually buy, which apparently everybody but me already knew. Haven't done a build in a long time. I realize this isn't a high end build but it's far above anything she's ever had. Anyway, the plan is for Christmas. Would buying a 1050 ti or 1650 to get by with until availability increases be a bad idea with the December deadline in mind? I'd have a use for the card once replaced in a lower spec system I already have. The games I play don't require much.
The 50's tend to be pretty bad. If your budget allows, I'd probably go with the 1660 ti since we have no idea when GPU's are going to be available again. Could be another 18 months or more. Then again, if Etherium really moves to proof of stake by the end of the year, things could get better in early 2022. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee they are really going to change to proof of stake. They've talked big about it before.

An even better idea would be to buy her a whole system. You can get any GPU you want that way, and it is much, much cheaper than building your own.

LWP

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
The 50's tend to be pretty bad. If your budget allows, I'd probably go with the 1660 ti since we have no idea when GPU's are going to be available again. Could be another 18 months or more. Then again, if Etherium really moves to proof of stake by the end of the year, things could get better in early 2022. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee they are really going to change to proof of stake. They've talked big about it before.

An even better idea would be to buy her a whole system. You can get any GPU you want that way, and it is much, much cheaper than building your own.

Thanks! Too late though, as I mentioned above, I got my hands on a 6600 xt for a price I was grudgingly willing to pay because I haven't seen anything that gives me confidence things are gonna get better anytime soon. I'll go with a 1080p monitor and it'll be fine for anything she does.

Reactions: ZedClampet

TRENDING THREADS