Old games that never made into digital distribution

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Recently I started to search the auction portals for games that never found their way into digital distribution (or were removed from sale for some reason). I miss some titles that I don't own and basically the only alternative for auction portals are abandonware sites. I don't want to use the latter due to legal doubts and virus threats. So I've decided to make some purchases:

- Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear + Urban Operations + Covert Ops Essentials + Black Thorn - I'm amazed that Ubisoft didn't decide to re-release the game on digital distribution platforms. Maybe there are some licensing problems or the publisher doesn't care about older titles. Anyway you can't buy the game officially and I doubt this will change in the future. There are some disc images available over the internet. And you can find even a single installler that includes the base game and all three expansions. I guess downloading it is quite ok, if you own everything, but of course I won't provide a link. Anyway I bought the whole set and personally think this is the best game in the series. It's very sad to see what Ubisoft did with it introducing the next installments.
- Battle for Middle-Earth 1 and 2 - now that's an interesting case. Probably the best games set in The Lord of the Rings universe and they're in the licensing abyss. EA has lost the rights to make LotR games and probably they didn't secure the permission to publish the games further. It's really unbelievable! Nothing indicates that the rights for LotR will return to EA hands and thus nothing indicates that we'll see a re-release of these games. These two are probably not only the best LotR games, but also a wonderful representatives of the whole genre.

I'll probably make retro purchases on regular basis, although the cost of such an old games is sometimes very high. Next I'll be keeping an eye on Dune 2000, Emperor Battle for Dune and of course the add-on for Battle for Middle-Earth 2 called Wrath of the Lich King. There's a lot more examples though. Thankfully GOG was able to bring back to life many games forgotten by the publishers. Among these are my favorite Star Trek titles: Elite Force 1 and 2, Bridge Commander and Starfleet Command 3. A few years ago it was loud about Dungeons & Dragons classic RPGs that GOG managed to resurrect. Now they're available also on Steam, but it was GOG that dug these titles out of the grave.

Do you miss any particular titles that are nowhere to be found? What do you think about crazy prices of some old titles on auction portals? Are they worth the money?

Black & White, both the original and the sequel, both of which I'm pretty sure never had a digital release.

I'm also sad that LotR: BFME 2 and its expansion, WotLK, aren't available any more (and they make for some of the best abbreviations).

Looking through some of the top abandonware titles, I don't see any other games that I care about. A lot of games I see have sequels or alternatives that are just as good.

There might be some Dutch games from my childhood which would be nice to have for my daughter, but then again her English is quite good so she can probably just as well play more recent educational English games instead.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Black & White 1 and 2 are great examples. But there are more: Aliens vs Predator 2, No One Lives Forever, Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) and probably many more. I'll add them when I refresh my memory enough. :) It seems impossible that these titles will return to sale at some point. However this was also the case with Blade Runner and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain before GOG re-released them, so who knows? Maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise some day.

I just dug out of my archives some CDs from old magazines with full versions of games and you won't believe how many nice titles aren't available online. Did you know that in Poland we had a very good game inspired by Homeworld? It's called Project Earth: Starmageddon and don't dream that it'll be available some day in digital distribution. ;) You can find here and there though. :p Basically the game has some original gameplay concepts that add to the Homeworld heritage. And it had cutting-edge graphics when it was released in 2002. Unpolished diamond that has been lost in time...

Edit: Mechwarrior series! I forgot about Mechwarrior series! And Starsiege! Does someone here still remember the game? It's basically a Mechwarrior clone from late 90s. But a really, really good clone...

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Honestly, No One Lives Forever is the only one I can think of off hand that deserves digital distribution but hasn't gotten it. And that's definitely more of an "it deserves it," not an "I want to play it."

Oh, wait, maybe some old console titles! Lost Odyssey was (mostly) quite good. I wonder if it ever went digital? It certainly hasn't gotten a PC release yet, after all these years, even though Microsoft published it.

This topic kinda reminds me of how important the role of emulation is to me. For the need to preserve games as and when publishers do nothing with the IPs yet refuse to let anyone make use of it because they might make money from it. Either the original IP owners make money from it or no one will.

The sad irony is that piracy seems to be an effective method to preserve games. They get digitalized (Arbeit illegally) and they're forever there. Publishers and devs are wising up to it now, releasing their back catalogue, but some just stubbornly refuse or just don't put the bloody effort. Presumably retro gaming isn't as popular as i like to believe.

Next I'll be keeping an eye on Dune 2000

have you tried https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/ ? Its the full game restored to be compatible with modern pc's plus mods with additional features.

the only draw back is that on higher resolutions its like playing with ants.

yeah no one lives forever is another series that deserves some love, but its easy to acquire the game free. Just search google and its the first result.

i have also found some of games on archive.org. The original CD rips so there is that, but yeah, if those techs modders or GOG could release them that would be even better.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
have you tried https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/ ? Its the full game restored to be compatible with modern pc's plus mods with additional features.

Yeah, there are some sites where you can download even the original Dune 2000 disc image and given the fact that it isn't available in digital nor first hand physical distribution, I don't consider doing so criminal or morally incorrect. The property rights owner doesn't lose anything because even if I buy the physical copy from other gamer, all the money goes to this gamer and not the property rights owner. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but I'd love to own the physical edition of Dune 2000. The power of sentiment I guess... :)

There are abandonware sites where you can download most of the forgotten by publishers games and I guess it's quite alright to do so, given the situation. My biggest apprehension in doing this is linked to virus threats. Anyway, in time I'll be buying a lot of these games just to have them on shelf. :)

Reactions: Pifanjr
My biggest apprehension in doing this is linked to virus threats
I don't use Windows' file manager app, but I expect it's the same—when I r-click a file, there are options to scan it with my anti-malware apps, you can see below choices for both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

C9CRnMn.png

You can also do this online, eg:

Reactions: Frindis

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I don't use Windows' file manager app, but I expect it's the same—when I r-click a file, there are options to scan it with my anti-malware apps, you can see below choices for both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

Basically Windows Defender is enough in most cases. It also should react on its own when I try to run a virus file. Maybe I'll download some better external anti-virus program for the purpose of running old games. :) I also know VirusTotal. It's a wonderful site and I used it many times. The only downside is that you can't send for scanning files bigger than 650 MB, but the executables are rarely that big, so it's not a major thing. :) Anyway, thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Battlefield 2 - One of my all time favorite FPSs, it was amazing. Although you can download Project Reality which doesn’t require you to own the original game and has a much larger player base these days, I’d still love to relive the old days of BF2 pub servers. It’s been delisted off Steam as of 2014 and I can’t find anywhere to purchase it digitally.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Another few games to the list:

- KISS Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child - basically forgotten FPS from 2000. Given the fact it was made on a music band license, I doubt it'll be possible to release it digitally.
- Prey 2006 - another FPS. It was overshadowed by Prey 2017 and now it's completely forgotten.
- Blair Witch vol. 1, 2 and 3 - fantastic horror games. The first part called Rustin Parr is probably the scariest game I've ever played. I believe the series was some time ago on Steam, but disappeared for some reason.
- Heavy Metal FAKK 2 - an interesting sci-fi TPP game based on the legendary animated series.
- Gunman Chronicles - another forgotten FPS, similar in style to Half-Life 1, but set in a distant future on an alien planet.

Last edited:
- Prey 2006 - another FPS. It was overshadowed by Prey 2017 and now it's completely forgotten.
Luckily you can still buy Prey 2006 for Xbox digitally. I have it installed on my Xbox One which I only use to play Xbox exclusive and titles like that that are hard to find on PC.
- Gunman Chronicles - another forgotten FPS, similar in style to Half-Life 1, but set in a distant future on an alien planet.
I’ve never heard of this game before your post, and after watching some videos on it, it seems like such a fun game. I love old goldsrc engine games and this seems right up my alley. I want to find a way to play it… legally, of course… ;)

Reactions: Brian Boru

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Luckily you can still buy Prey 2006 for Xbox digitally. I have it installed on my Xbox One which I only use to play Xbox exclusive and titles like that that are hard to find on PC.
Wow! I didn't know about that. I wonder why the game isn't available on PC then... Is it even possible that there are completely separate publishing agreements on Xbox and PC?

I’ve never heard of this game before your post, and after watching some videos on it, it seems like such a fun game. I love old goldsrc engine games and this seems right up my alley. I want to find a way to play it… legally, of course… ;)
I don't know where are you from, but there's loads of offers for the game on eBay and some are fairly cheap: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...57.m570.l1313&_nkw=gunman+chronicles&_sacat=0. It's even cheaper in Europe: https://www.ebay.pl/sch/i.html?_fro..._TitleDesc=0&_odkw=Gunman+Chronicle&_osacat=0.

Apart from that, downloading the game from an abandonware site isn't morally incorrect IMHO. The game isn't officially available in sale, so the publisher doesn't lose anything if you do so. Even if you buy a physical copy from other gamer, the former publisher won't see a dollar from this transaction.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm glad I transferred my CD key of Prey 2006 to Steam (when they closed down their prior storefront) as I don't have the CD version anymore.

Anyone remember Will Rock? Developed by Saber Interactive/published by Ubisoft, it was a Serious Sam clone, not as good but I have a lot of nostalgia for it and if it was offered on Steam/GOG/etc I definitely would purchase it

Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
There are fan patches that get the Black and White games running on modern Windows without DRM.
You can get them setup to copy to any pc you want.

There is also a fan patch that upgrades and fixes up Need for Speed Most Wanted. That and Carbon are worth owning. Great games.

Not all of the American Laser games are on Steam. No Space Pirates.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
There are another few interesting titles that I want to recall. The first one is Driver. Really surprising that no one mentioned it here. Often called GTA in 3D before GTA really went into 3D, but it's something a little different and definitely a lot harder.

The second one is an FMV adventure game X-Files. Yep, an official game licensed on the legendary TV series. Probably the best FMV game in history. It can be hard to make it work on modern PC because the game uses obsolete QuickTime, but with a little patience it's possible. Very atmospheric title.

The third one, Need for Speed: Porsche 2000. Unique entry in the series. The game focuses only on one car brand and has a really fascinating game mode in which you make a career of factory driver. Game with a lot of love to Porsche cars. You can feel it in every aspect of gameplay. One of the best games in the series.

What about MechCommander 1 and 2? In the last years we received something very close to these games - BattleTech, but only classics are true classics. :) Must play for every fan of mechs.

Every heard about Dune 1992? Actually I tried this today to make a little break from BG3 after spending 50 hours in it and I've really liked the game. It's a mix of adventure game and very simple strategy, but the title is ahead of its times. It features extremely high quality sound (including very good voice acting), great graphics (for its time of course) and has a perfectly reproduced Arrakis atmosphere.

That's it for now. There are surely other wonderful games forgotten in time, but I must first rediscover them. ;) It's very entertaining for me to make old games working properly on modern hardware. :) Sometimes it's even more entertaining than playing those games. :LOL:

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
What about MechCommander 1 and 2? In the last years we received something very close to these games - BattleTech, but only classics are true classics. :) Must play for every fan of mechs.
There is yet life in those old bones....

The first one is still available, but the second was withdrawn from sale unfortunately due to some legal reasons. I have no idea whether it'll be available again at some point.
When the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 (yes the name is a hand full) comes out MGS1 -2-3 in HD MG from NES and MSX will be available for pc.

As for abandoned ware Clive Barker's Jericho comes to mind. It used to be available on steam sadly not anymore . Its a horror fps squad game from 2007 it had a decent enough story. But one of the bigger things was the mechanic of being able to switch which square member you were directly controlling on the fly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

TRENDING THREADS