Old computer, new parts, same problems

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Samsung makes good drives, good pick. If you wanted a cheaper option that is still good the Crucial MX 500 is decent and you wouldnt notice the difference in a Pepsi challenge. The Samsung will last longer, but if youre not somone who transfers gigabytes of files on the daily then its a non issue.

There are certainly other good options as well, someone else might suggest. The problem is there are so many options these days its hard to keep up with.

Reactions: IComeFromDowntown
You need:

somewhere to physically install the drive in the PC. The case may have a 2.5" bay, otherwise you can get an adapter for a 3.5" bay

Sata cable

Sata power connector on the PSU. It's likely there's a free one on the same cable your HDD is connected to.

You need:

somewhere to physically install the drive in the PC. The case may have a 2.5" bay, otherwise you can get an adapter for a 3.5" bay

Sata cable

Sata power connector on the PSU. It's likely there's a free one on the same cable your HDD is connected to.

It appears that I do have an additional power connector that is separate from the one powering the HDD however, the power cable attached to the HDD looks like it makes a stop at the CD drive and then goes to the PSU. I assumed that that won't be neccessary for the SDD Sata Power cable?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
For your SSD there's a data cable and a power cable. The power cable looks like a thin wide one. That needs to go into your PSU.

sata-power-and-data-cable.jpg

The front one goes from your SSD to your power supply. The other one goes from your SSD to your motherboard.

Wait, what?

What cables, exactly, have you bought? Can you link to the product pages?

You shouldn't be buying a power cable. Your PSU has them already.

Edit: NVM, may have misread/understood the post... ignore me.

Lol! I just re read the post and even I was confused.... I just bought the Sata III data cable and the SSD drive. I located the power cable in my PC. Can't wait for them to get here!!

Reactions: Oussebon
Sounds great :)

Do check out Macrium Reflect

It's very highly regarded software, free for home use, which lets you clone drives easily. So you can clone your fresh Windows install to the new SSD, and then boot from that. After which you can format the HDD and use it for mass storage

Well It's all done! The new PC is humming with the Samsung SSD. Everything is installed on the SSD including WoW and it is running wonderfully. In addition, I returend the wifi booster and picked up a pair of Ethernet adapters:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-gigabit-adapter-dhp-601av-dhp-601av/10298609

and my internet is working at the back of the house as if it was wired straight into the router. I think the next order of business is to find a half decent monitor, so I will be scouring the forms to find some recommendations. Thank you to everyone that helped out. I'm happy I was able to do the work myself with everyone's guidance. A sense of pride for sure. I was really lost before I posted this thread and now I have a computer I had hoped I would have two years ago when it was built!

You can easily get a 1080p 144hz monitor with adaptive sync for that money - they're around £200 in the UK so I expect around $200 USD exc taxes.

The questio is what would you play on one?

There are many modern games a GTX 760 wouldn't run at high framerates. Also a 760 wouldn't support adaptive sync / freesync - though if you buy a monitor that does, you'd be sorted when you next upgrade the GPU and ofc the monitor works fine without the adaptive sync. For esports and gaming on low settings though, a 760 would still do fine with a high refresh monitor.

To pick out a few:

MSI Optix MAG241C (VA panel)
AOC G2590FX or PX (TN panel)
AOC 24G2 (IPS panel)

All 1080p 144hz, with freesync.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts