Oculus Quest 2 - My graphics card doesn't have a USB - C port for oculus link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
I was looking at the details for the new Quest 2 and how you can connect it to a PC with the oculus link cable. Unfortunately my graphics card (RTX 2060) doesn't have a USB-C connection, just HDMI and Displayport. My motherboard does have USB 3.2 gen 2 type A & C ports but I've heard you should always plug these display type devices straight into the GPU. Can anyone advise me what to do or what my options are?

Could I also connect it using hotspot from my PC or generally through my WIFI network?

Thanks

Last edited:
I was looking at the details for the new Quest 2 and how you can connect it to a PC with the oculus link cable. Unfortunately my graphics card (RTX 2060) doesn't have a USB-C connection, just HDMI and Displayport. My motherboard does have USB 3.2 gen 2 type A & C ports but I've heard you should always plug these display type devices straight into the GPU. Can anyone advise me what to do or what my options are?

Could I also connect it using hotspot from my PC or generally through my WIFI network?

Thanks

You should be plugging this into your motherboard, not your GPU. If you have a USB-C port, then that will work. Otherwise you need a USB-C to A adapter and a USB-A 3.1 port. You will likely not be able to play as long as the Quest 2 discharges even when plugged into a USB C port while playing, but it should still add some life to your playtime.

Also you can connect to virtual desktop wirelessly, but the requirements are a little high for this. You'll need a 5ghz capable router with a clear line of sight to your play area, otherwise the latency will be too high. You'll also need to make sure you use a channel that doesn't have anyone else on it, so if you're in an apartment you may not have any luck. There are guides out there for it if you're interested in learning more.

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
You should be plugging this into your motherboard, not your GPU. If you have a USB-C port, then that will work. Otherwise you need a USB-C to A adapter and a USB-A 3.1 port. You will likely not be able to play as long as the Quest 2 discharges even when plugged into a USB C port while playing, but it should still add some life to your playtime.

one concern I have about not plugging directly into the GPU is that especially on my laptop this will greatly decrease the GPU performance.

EG, If I plug a monitor in via thunderbolt I get 60fps in Doom Eternal, but if I plug a HDMI or DIpolsay port cable in I get 100fps because those ports are not going via the integrated graphics on the CPU.

So I have the same question. I don't want to lose nearly half the performance in some games by plugging into the thunderbolt port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS