NVMe and SSD advice needed

Sep 27, 2022
Visit site
I'm getting a 2 TB NVMe. I am also looking to get a 2 TB SSD to work in conjunction.

My question, is this necessary? Will it still be ideal for 2 TB NVMe and go for a 1 TB SSD? Or keep them the same.

Or just go all in for a larger NVMe?

My PC is mainly used for gaming, don't usually stream either.

Any thoughts are much welcome.

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from the unhelpful "Quick question".]

Last edited by a moderator:
A smaller SSD will allow you to have the OS, app's and launcher on it. The larger SSD will have your games on it. Now which drives are you looking at and what is the make and model of the motherboard you're working with?

If you're looking for a smaller SSD, a 500GB SSD(M.2 or 2.5") will suffice.

Could you elaborate what you're referring to with the SSD working in conjunction ?

Its not necessary, but, personal opinion, for me I would just opt for 2 nvm.e's if you are buying stuff, they are just usually the fastest storage device and take up less room (no cables, fits in the motherboard etc.), but your motherboard might not have 2 slots. If it does, use them. If not then the SSD will suffice and, like Lutfij said, you really only need 500gb-1tb for whatever one your putting your OS on because you want to use 1 for your OS and programs and one completely for your games, mods, launchers etc. You want to keep them separated.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Its not necessary, but, personal opinion, for me I would just opt for 2 nvm.e's if you are buying stuff, they are just usually the fastest storage device and take up less room (no cables, fits in the motherboard etc.), but your motherboard might not have 2 slots. If it does, use them. If not then the SSD will suffice and, like Lutfij said, you really only need 500gb-1tb for whatever one your putting your OS on because you want to use 1 for your OS and programs and one completely for your games, mods, launchers etc. You want to keep them separated.
Some boards such as the B660 boards have two M.2 slots but I wouldn't recommend running dual M.2 SSD's in them due to the amount of PCIe lanes that chipset is restricted to (12).

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS