Now is a great time to clean out your wishlist...(discuss your wishlist)

Some people may not have this problem, but a lot do. You see a game, whether it's been released yet or not, and you don't want to lose it in the thousands of games on Steam, so you wishlist it. Just an hour ago, I had a little over 1000 games on my wishlist.

The big Steam sales are a good time to decide if you are ever going to actually buy a game, and you can sort your wishlist into games that are on sale, so I went to work getting rid of things I'm no longer interested in.

The top 3 things I didn't want on my list anymore were visual novels, jrpgs, VR only. I also had some other rules I followed, and I ended up cutting my wishlist in half. Now I just have to slowly work my way through the games that aren't on sale. I'll worry about that later, though.

So what condition is your wishlist in?

Weirdly, I don't often buy stuff from my wishlist; anything I just bought was cheap and almost completely at random. I mostly just use it as a reminder for things I really don't want to forget about, but do very occasionally buy.

That said, this thread reminded me I needed to do another curation on it. I got it down from 95 to 53.
:) I've probably got 100 free games on my list. Never know when you might need one. I'm talking completely free, of course. No microtransactions or anything.

Some people may not have this problem,
obvious answer: what wishlist?

I don't go into Steam unless I want to run update, or buy something, and if its the second, I know what it is I want before going into Steam. I don't do window shopping in steam, I generally know what I want before I go looking.

It does (or doesn't) help there are very few games being made that I want to play. Most of the games I know might be coming haven't even been announced yet. So perhaps I could wish-list Titans Quest 2 but I haven't bothered. Its on Steam but TBA release date... I just wait.

Steam is just a shop to me, I dislike shopping so I make sure I know what I want and go direct to it without being attracted to other things on way in.

More likely to find out about new games reading threads by Zed or randomly via Youtube videos.

Last edited:
obvious answer: what wishlist?

I don't go into Steam unless I want to run update, or buy something, and if its the second, I know what it is I want before going into Steam. I don't do window shopping in steam, I generally know what I want before I go looking.

It does (or doesn't) help there are very few games being made that I want to play. Most of the games I know might be coming haven't even been announced yet. So perhaps I could wish-list Titans Quest 2 but I haven't bothered. Its on Steam but TBA release date... I just wait.

Steam is just a shop to me, I dislike shopping so I make sure I know what I want and go direct to it without being attracted to other things on way in.

More likely to find out about new games reading threads by Zed or randomly via Youtube videos.
Often I think I like window shopping in Steam more than actually playing games.

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
I used to be a serial wishlister as well, but then it got too much, so I changed my ways. Now I only have 18 games on my wishlist and these games I know I will be very interested in, 13 of them haven't come out yet.
I have this rule where I only wishlist a game I'm deeply interested in and will buy it 99% of the time unless there are some terrible performance issues or some such. And games I'm merely intrigued by I just follow, so they show up in my Activity tab and I don't forget about them.

The last time I looked through a bunch of games randomly was on the Xbox app. It was how I found most of the games I got off it.
But I don't look in it as often as I should. Opening it makes the EA app want to load and it just annoys me - Maybe I uninstall the few EA Games I have.
I don't think I have ever done it on steam.
This morning is a great example of why I like to look through games. I'm not really into normal games, and as much as I window shop in Steam, just minutes ago I found two games that I had never heard of that I can guarantee I will put over 100 hours into.

The thing is, they were almost impossible to find. They don't just show up in any tag searches or in Steam's algorithms. You have to get creative.

Wow, this thread has made me feel much better about myself. I had a guilty pang recently because my combined wishlist is currently at 100:
  • 61 released games
  • 23 unreleased games
  • 9 expansions (nearly all for Total War: Warhammer III)
  • 4 items of Valve hardware (Deck, and Index Headset / Controllers / Base Station)
But seeing so many people with vastly bigger wishlists has made me decide that I don't need to feel so guilty after all.

I should mention to y'all that your wishlist number in the top-right may well be bigger than your actual wishlisted items (which you can see by Sorting by Your Rank and scrolling to the bottom of the list). This is because games that are withdrawn from sale are made invisible on your wishlist but not technically removed from your wishlist. You can fix this problem with various methods outlined here:

This morning is a great example of why I like to look through games. I'm not really into normal games, and as much as I window shop in Steam, just minutes ago I found two games that I had never heard of that I can guarantee I will put over 100 hours into.

The thing is, they were almost impossible to find. They don't just show up in any tag searches or in Steam's algorithms. You have to get creative.

What were the games?

Reactions: Pifanjr
What were the games?
Contractville and New Star GP

How do you get creative? I tried searching for games on Steam today and the lack of filter options is really aggravating.

Though I then tried searching on Epic and suddenly Steam's search functions didn't seem so bad any more. Definitely saw a lot of games I'd never heard of before, but none that I'd have any interest in.

I was specifically looking for games with split-screen support to play with my kid and ended up on https://www.co-optimus.com, which does have decent search options and results.

I was specifically looking for games with split-screen support

Like this?

I've got 28. I just cut Tortuga - it showed some promise, but they haven't updated since they released in February.

Even with so few games, I wish I could divide them up into a couple of subfolders.

I do it by ordering my list into categories. For me, I have: released games; unreleased games; expansions; non-game software; hardware.

Do you mean something like this where it is showing shared/split screen games that are *insert tags here*?

I don't trust Steam's tag system very much, but I will admit that's better than what I got when I looked at Steam. Though I don't need it to support German.

That's what I did, but that is quite a broad list with too many games that aren't what I'm looking for.

Also, when I add the filter for "Narrow by number of players" "Shared/split screen", about 250 results disappear and I really need to know why and which games but Steam will not tell me.

TRENDING THREADS