Need Suggestion With External SSD Drive For Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2022
Visit site
Hey all

I've been using an external hard drive since the days of Vista and I think it's time to move on and start using an external SSD.

While internal SSDs have come down a lot, external SSDs still remain quite pricey. That gave me an idea, what If I could build my own USB powered SSD?

Has anyone tried this with success? I've not done the research yet as it just came to mind whilst taking over 5 hours backing up on the external HDD.

I'll need recommendations for:
* A 960GB or 1TB SSD with a DRAM cache
* An SSD to USB 3.0 enclosed adaptor.

I'll probably swap to a 2TB drive prices continue to fall in a year

Thank you for your input.

Has anyone tried this with success? I've not done the research yet as it just came to mind whilst taking over 5 hours backing up on the external HDD.

You have more chance of that working than you ever getting a real 16tb external SSD for the cheap price of $40. Since everyone you find on internet is fake, making your own is the safest option. you won't end up with a sd card that thinks it has 16tb of storage when its really 56gb of untrustworthy space.

ssd or nvme? as well, nvme way faster choice...

If ssd, then an Samsung 870 Evo 1tb
If nvme, I would get a Samsung 970 Evo Plus or a 980 Pro 1tb nvme only as they rock solid and I don't see many of them fail.
I don't have any ideas about enclosure but perhaps I should

Where are you from so we can look for choices?

taking over 5 hours backing up on the external HDD
That was probably your annual full backup, yeah?
How long do your regular incremental backups take?

Does this include a disk image of your system drive [ C: ] and software installation drive [ also usually C: ], or is it only your data files?

If you don't have any large moving visuals to backup, then you don't need a 4TB or more solution, so SSD prices can make sense.

Jul 12, 2022
Visit site
Hey all

I've been using an external hard drive since the days of Vista and I think it's time to move on and start using an external SSD.

While internal SSDs have come down a lot, external SSDs still remain quite pricey. That gave me an idea, what If I could build my own USB powered SSD?

I'll probably swap to a 2TB drive prices continue to fall in a year

Thank you for your input.

My issue has been solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS