Need help with a upgrade issue

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
VRAM is always a bit of a trap for newbies :)

mVVdxb9.png

Its a little faster than this now due to software improvements, you can add say 5% to the average.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
OK, this is my first attempt at a build from scratch basically, I got everything figured out (waiting on the new GPU though) except getting the fans on the cpu cooler hooked up. The instructions that came with the case weren't real clear on exactly how to connect them. I get the 4 fans on the case hooked up but that doesnt leave any available jumpers for the cpu cooler fans and the cables arent long enough to reach the fan channels on the bottom of the mother board. I got to be missing something? Or do I need to order extensions?

There should be two fan ports next to the CPU socket that are labelled CPU/CPU OPT. Best to use those for the CPU cooler. The AIO pump should have its own port labelled as such as well. Somewhere in the middle of the board.

Your CPU cooler should have come with a splitter like this?

Its totally fine to run 2 fans off of one port, plug it in to the CPU fan port and put the cooler fans there, and use the CPU OPT for a case fan if needs be.

If you have one more case fan than you do ports, then you can buy another splitter like the one above for the case fans if needs be. You may find the motherboard or case included one anyway.

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
I have everything hooked up where it goes, AIO pump in the right spot, using the splitter for the fans and plugged into the CPU_FAN socket, remote is hooked up with power from the power supply. Just cant get the RGBs on the cooler fans to come on. Is possible its because I dont have the GPU plugged in yet so it wont boot up? Right now I was just trying to get all the wiring for the lighting figured out. Just waiting on that GPU to arrive so we can install it.

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
is it this one?

did you look in the manual?
it might show bigger pictures compared to this - https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/5XHA9DnwLt
pictures 13 & 14 might help

this might help

tells Kammos this is about only help question I have answered in a month.
Yeah,
That is the one, been through both manuals multiple times, double & triple checked the connections multiple times. Only thing I can think of is it is because we dont have the GPU yet so cant do a complete boot up on it. I will find out tomorrow. If that isnt the issue then he may have to live without the lights on those two fans. He already has a desk with built in RGB lights across each end, RGB mouse pad, RGB keyboard, mouse, headset, and now this case so I think he'll be lit up well enough. Thanks though.

• Haha
The Intel cards are looking OK, and the software side is getting better. I haven't been recommending them because they are new, and theres a possibility of problems and wrangling needed to get them working well. Intel hasnt made GPU's until last year, its their first generation of the product.

At release that card was on average 25% slower than a Radeon 6700XT, and about 15% slower than an Nvidia 3060Ti. Drivers have improved some games by a few % since then, but going by the news I've read it would still be slower than both of those cards.

Is it a lot cheaper? If so might be worth a shot. Dont be swayed by the bigger VRAM number though, it doesnt mean anything much at this tier of card. 12GB is about right, 8GB maybe a little low in the future.
They just announced another big jump with drivers the other day. I should have linked the article, I don't have any idea how it compares now to the Radeon card, likely still behind a bit.

They just announced another big jump with drivers the other day. I should have linked the article, I don't have any idea how it compares now to the Radeon card, likely still behind a bit.

Well caught, looks like they gained another few % in some newer games, and a lot in CSGO and maybe other DX9 stuff which was one of the main problems for them.

Hard to recommend a currently slower card for the same price, on the notion that in a couple of years it may get faster though. Could go that way for sure.

TRENDING THREADS