Question Need help with a Gaming PC

Apr 5, 2020
Visit site
Hello there!

I wanted to ask if these components were strong enough to run next gen games with high fps without any lag and an enjoyable experience. I will play some games also in 4K.
I will always be doing Graphics Design with Affinity Photo and some Video editing as well. Feel free to suggest other components as well, as I don't really have much knowledge of iT stuff.

My budget is maximum 4.000 Euros.

The components:

- Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

- Corsair H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

- Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

- Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

- Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

- Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

- Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card

- NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case

- Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

- Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Thanks in advance!

Kindest regards
Yordi

Reactions: Oussebon
First thing, nobody can make any promises about next gen games :)

Also, some modern games will struggle to keep a smooth experience on the higher settings even on a 2080 ti at 4k, because 4k is so demanding.

That's not a criticism of your build, just something to be aware of before shelling out cash.

The spec itself is sound. The case has attracted some criticism: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3496-nzxt-h510-elite-case-review-making-things-worse so you might want to consider alternatives.

If you are also video editing, consider instead an AMD Ryzen system - your budget could easily allow for anything fom R7 3700x to R9 3950x. The AMD CPUs will generally perform better in video encoding and can even outperform the 9700k in Photoshop, which traditionally favoured Intel CPUs. And as for gaming, especially at high resolutions like 4k, there would not be any noticeable performance difference.

Asus's GPUs can be extremely expensive. Make sure to shop around for alternative models from other brands - depending on pricing they may be a much better option.

Apr 5, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your message! I forgot to say that I won't be video editing that much, I'll be far more playing games. Apologies for not addressing this in my post. Would a Ryzen then still more worth it than an Intel-Core Processor? I searched up the Fractal one and I'll be indeed getting that one as I have read some very good reviews.

Certain modern games you will be able to play at 4K resolution. I have a 28 Inch 4K monitor U28E590 last 5 years with a GTX 960 4GB GPU. I am able to play FIFA 17 at 4K resolution solid 60fps over 1500 hours played on Origin! And FIFA 18, 19 and 20 Demos. Haven't bought any of the latest FIFA's but they all run perfectly smooth at 4K maxed out.

I am also playing Dead Space 1, Diablo 2: LOD, Max Payne 2, Mass Effect at 4K using GTX 960. A few years ago I completed Max Payne 1 at 4K. All classic games from 2000-2010 will run smoothly at 4K. Maybe not Crysis, but with a GTX 2080 Ti there will not be any problems.

Even if you aren't able to run many of the modern games at 4K at 60fps that's not a big deal. Because seriously 2560x1440 (2K) or 3840x2160 (4K) does not have a huge difference. Only from standard 1080P resolution do you notice the crisp image quality.

Nonetheless you will enjoy watching 4K Youtube videos, it is a breath of fresh air and totally worth it even for those that don't have so powerful graphics cards! I have set my desktop resolution to 4K and everything seems awesome. Viewing images and text is also nice and sharp. I can feel the difference even when playing online chess, chess board and pieces are crispier compared to standard 1080P display.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
All classic games from 2000-2010 will run smoothly at 4K. Maybe not Crysis, but with a GTX 2080 Ti there will not be any problems.

I'm gonna counter you on this one, but I think there are several or maybe alot of games that may actually work worse if you got a faster PC. One of my favorite games, Rome Total War 1, runs worse on my current PC than it did on my FX6300 / GTX760. Apparently that game doesn't scale well with faster hardware, and if you try to play that game on ultra settings and highest units you'll hit a constant 1 FPS. I think there might be more games with those issues.

I think with games you certainly need to look at what resources they take. Maybe FIFA is just not as heavy for your PC as would be Read Dead Redemption 2, but I don't know that. With watching Youtube videos you'd need to find those who have 4k. Most of the videos I like run at 720p or even at 480p.

Reactions: Oussebon
I'm gonna counter you on this one, but I think there are several or maybe alot of games that may actually work worse if you got a faster PC. One of my favorite games, Rome Total War 1, runs worse on my current PC than it did on my FX6300 / GTX760. Apparently that game doesn't scale well with faster hardware, and if you try to play that game on ultra settings and highest units you'll hit a constant 1 FPS. I think there might be more games with those issues.

I think with games you certainly need to look at what resources they take. Maybe FIFA is just not as heavy for your PC as would be Read Dead Redemption 2, but I don't know that. With watching Youtube videos you'd need to find those who have 4k. Most of the videos I like run at 720p or even at 480p.
So you're saying that I am best to stay with my FX-8370 and GTX 960 4GB GPU for the older games? Because if I upgrade to a newer PC with GTX 2080 or similar I won't be able to play those older titles in any possible way?

Indeed FIFA is not resource heavy because EA have properly optimized this Xbox One console port to run on different kind of PC configurations since millions of gamers worldwide have different configurations. EA don't want to lose sales.

I'm aware that FIFA is low spec game. I just mentioned it because it is one of the few modern games that run at 4K 60fps maxed out without needing a very powerful GPU and it runs really well. Actually I did have problems once with the FIFA 18 Demo which had issues with random game freezes after 1 hour of play at 4K. Upgrading to Windows 10 and switching to the DirectX12 from DX11 setting solved the problem. This is most likely an issue with FIFA 18 Demo. All the rest run very smoothly. Over 1500 hours FIFA 17 PC 4K maxed out and not a single performance issue or crash. Maybe because the game is low spec due to console port designed to run at 1080P.

The option to run 4K is always there for those games that will run fine. And those heavier games can then be used to play at 1080P or 2K resolutions.

But 4K nonetheless is still nice to have and there are plenty of Youtube videos like nature and some pranksters like Riceman who upload their videos in 4K. For example if you were to search for a particular video and then click the Filter button at the top left below the videos it gives you the option to select Features: 4K and then all videos will show up in 4K.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I think there's a reason why people keep old pc's. For example: My Rome Total War 1 CD won't work anymore because it uses a DRM that's no longer supported by Windows 10. That's a software issue rather than hardware, but an example of newer components making a game work worse.

Besides that, the OP isn't looking at the cheapest option for a GPU, he / she is looking to buy a new PC and by the budget for it, no matter what, is able to purchase a RTX2080ti that can run alot of games at 4k. So I'm not really sure where your post about a 960 came from.

TRENDING THREADS