Need Help Buying Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to purchase a new gaming laptop. The one I’m interested in is the Razerblade15 advance model. Link: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-15/RZ09-0409AED3-R3U1
It’s a little pricey and I don’t know if it’s worth it for the amount of money. Any suggestions on a better laptop or a confirmation that these are great specs for the price? Thank you!

On the surface, it seems like an okay deal, but there's a problem with this laptop. The TGP, or maximum power to the GPU, is only 80 watts. A regular 3060 goes up to 170 watts, and even for laptops, 80 watts is fairly low. That means the performance is probably going to suffer quite a bit.

As a comparison, the Alienware R4 15 has a TGP of 120, so 50 percent better. One-twenty is actually pretty good for a 15 inch laptop. To get closer to desktop performance, you would have to go up to a 17 inch laptop.

Basically, the bottom line is that you've picked a decent laptop, but I don't think the GPU will perform up to your expectations. Everything else about the laptop is very good.

Here's a list of 3060 laptops with their TGP's. For some reason, the laptops at the very top don't have the TGP's listed, but if you scroll down a bit you can find them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
On the surface, it seems like an okay deal, but there's a problem with this laptop. The TGP, or maximum power to the GPU, is only 80 watts. A regular 3060 goes up to 170 watts, and even for laptops, 80 watts is fairly low. That means the performance is probably going to suffer quite a bit.

As a comparison, the Alienware R4 15 has a TGP of 120, so 50 percent better. One-twenty is actually pretty good for a 15 inch laptop. To get closer to desktop performance, you would have to go up to a 17 inch laptop.

Basically, the bottom line is that you've picked a decent laptop, but I don't think the GPU will perform up to your expectations. Everything else about the laptop is very good.

Here's a list of 3060 laptops with their TGP's. For some reason, the laptops at the very top don't have the TGP's listed, but if you scroll down a bit you can find them.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m going to look into it more. It’s confusing because some of the laptops say “GPU Boost” instead of an actual watt number.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m going to look into it more. It’s confusing because some of the laptops say “GPU Boost” instead of an actual watt number.

They are just trying to confuse you. GPU Boost is something different entirely. It is automatically on every Nvidia graphics card.

By the way, the thing that has caused this situation is simply that the 30 series GPU's need too much power for laptops to be able to deal with the heat, and all the manufacturers have been left to figure out how to make them work. The only real problem is that retailers don't understand what's happening and don't list the TGP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS