Need advise on current pc, looking to rebuild!!!

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Hey guys, so I was once a pc guy, but have been out of the game for a while. I need some advice with what I have built right now and what I should upgrade. I really only use my desktop for school but like having a nice set up that is quick, powerful, and stylish. I would like to be able to run games on it well. The current setup is:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 OC 4GB
Ram: Kingston hyperX FURY 8 gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo
HDD: Some random one, I don't remember
Power Supply: Corsair CX series 600 watt 80 Plus Bronze

This PC was built by a young me in about 2014 so I know some of the parts suck for nowadays but back then the GPU was top of the line and the CPU got me by with what I liked to play. I know I need to upgrade the ram to 16gb and get a new processor but how is the other parts. Thanks!

You're going to need a new board, cpu and DDR4 RAM if you want to play current games and that's not even mentioning the gpu along with the fact your power supply is getting to the age where it's going to hit paperweight status here in the near future. What country are you located, what is your budget and what is your monitor resolution?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Hey guys, so I was once a pc guy, but have been out of the game for a while. I need some advice with what I have built right now and what I should upgrade. I really only use my desktop for school but like having a nice set up that is quick, powerful, and stylish. I would like to be able to run games on it well. The current setup is:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 OC 4GB
Ram: Kingston hyperX FURY 8 gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo
HDD: Some random one, I don't remember
Power Supply: Corsair CX series 600 watt 80 Plus Bronze

This PC was built by a young me in about 2014 so I know some of the parts suck for nowadays but back then the GPU was top of the line and the CPU got me by with what I liked to play. I know I need to upgrade the ram to 16gb and get a new processor but how is the other parts. Thanks!

You don't have many upgrade paths processor wise and increasing your RAM to 16GB is going to make marginal improvement. Only your SSD, HDD and PSU are good enough to be used in your new build. Upgrading CPU(I'm thinking FX-8350) and RAM would be a waste of money, you are better off saving up for a completely new build with new CPU, MB, RAM and GPU.

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
You don't have many upgrade paths processor wise and increasing your RAM to 16GB is going to make marginal improvement. Only your SSD, HDD and PSU are good enough to be used in your new build. Upgrading CPU(I'm thinking FX-8350) and RAM would be a waste of money, you are better off saving up for a completely new build with new CPU, MB, RAM and GPU.
Really, the motherboard and GPU won't hold up? That's sad to hear. I guess it makes sense considering this is a lot of old technology. What would you recommend for a motherboard, Ram, and GPU. I think it would be fun to build a mini ATX next, but also it holds its restrictions. Now that I am trying to remember some of these things it makes sense converting to an intel motherboard right?

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
You're going to need a new board, cpu and DDR4 RAM if you want to play current games and that's not even mentioning the gpu along with the fact your power supply is getting to the age where it's going to hit paperweight status here in the near future. What country are you located, what is your budget and what is your monitor resolution?
Sounds like my computer is just pretty much toast. I guess to say it a better way is that I would like to be able to play games like valorant (not very intensive) at a maximum without having to build an absolute tank of a computer. I game on the Xbox series X, but if I am gonna invest in new parts then I want to have a computer that will not be shorted of what it is able to do because I wanted to try and save a couple hundred bucks. I mainly just want a nice rig that is going to be extremely quick and will be able to run apps such as solid works, stuff like that as best as possible. I hope that makes sense, I am not looking to build the best PC ever more than just build something that will last a good 8+ years and serve me well.

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Sounds like my computer is just pretty much toast. I guess to say it a better way is that I would like to be able to play games like valorant (not very intensive) at a maximum without having to build an absolute tank of a computer. I game on the Xbox series X, but if I am gonna invest in new parts then I want to have a computer that will not be shorted of what it is able to do because I wanted to try and save a couple hundred bucks. I mainly just want a nice rig that is going to be extremely quick and will be able to run apps such as solid works, stuff like that as best as possible. I hope that makes sense, I am not looking to build the best PC ever more than just build something that will last a good 8+ years and serve me well.
I also have some pretty old monitors, ASUS VN270's. Back in the day the 1m/s response time was nice and they still serve great as a monitor but I am looking to upgrade to a single 4k monitor at some point.

Country and budget?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157978
ASRock B560M PRO4 $112.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
Intel Core i5-10400F $157.94

https://www.amazon.com/DEEP-COOL-GAMMAXX400V2-Compatible-DP-MCH4-GMX400V2-RD/dp/B086WNPXVP/
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 V2 CPU Air Cooler $24.99

Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z DDR4 3200 16GB (2x8GB) CL16 $62.99

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-550f14hg-550w/p/1HU-024C-00008
Super Flower Leadex III 550W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply $59.99 + $5 off w/ promo code EMCBP342, limited offer By Super Flower

https://www.newegg.com/team-group-1tb-cx2/p/N82E16820331561
Team Group CX2 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal SSD $77.99

Last edited:
Really, the motherboard and GPU won't hold up? That's sad to hear. I guess it makes sense considering this is a lot of old technology. What would you recommend for a motherboard, Ram, and GPU. I think it would be fun to build a mini ATX next, but also it holds its restrictions. Now that I am trying to remember some of these things it makes sense converting to an intel motherboard right?

It really depends on what kind of gamer you are and what type of games you play, are you a demanding gamer who wants to play latest games at highest settings at high framerate? Then your MB, CPU and GPU will not hold up. If you are a normal gamer, your GPU can play latest blockbuster games with low-medium combination, but I think your CPU will pose a problem, the cores in it are barely better than the hardware in PS4, and we are in PS5 generation with both PS5 and Xbox having 8 cores with support for 16 threads.

Here is an all AMD build suggestion just to add variety:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1220.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-04 02:41 EST-0500

Last edited:
It really depends on what kind of gamer you are and what type of games you play, are you a demanding gamer who wants to play latest games at highest settings at high framerate? Then your MB, CPU and GPU will not hold up. If you are a normal gamer, your GPU can play latest blockbuster games with low-medium combination, but I think your CPU will pose a problem, the cores in it are barely better than the hardware in PS4, and we are in PS5 generation with both PS5 and Xbox having 8 cores with support for 16 threads.

Here is an all AMD build suggestion just to add variety:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($619.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1220.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-04 02:41 EST-0500
12400F > 3700X

12400F > 3700X

As I wrote I added AMD for variety.

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS