Question How to proper evolve my gaming computer?

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys! I would love to get your input on my concerns.

I love gaming (most FPS games) and have for many years. My problem is that I want to evolve my computer correctly within my criteria. Yes, I know I could just buy the expensive computer who has the best GPU etc. But I don't want to spend lot of money, and and I am pretty sure that my needs are also not for the best of the best. Then again I am no tech shark and often get insecure about where I should do next for a proper budget update.

Therefore, I would really appreciate your opinion on what you would change from my current tech setup to achieve a better gaming experience (within shooting games like Hunt Showdown)?

MY SETUP (computer was bought as new in 2020)
CPU
1 x Intel Core i5-10400F Processor

Motherboard
1 x Gigabyte H410M H H410M H

Graphic card
1 x ASUS Geforce RTX 2060 PH 6G Grafikkort

RAM
1 x Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2666MHz RAM

MONITOR
BenQ 27" XL2720Z - 3D Ready (year 2015)

Any thought and ideas are most welcome.

Thanks!

/Jesper

what power supply?

If you don't want to go nuts, I would upgrade your GPU and probably get 16gb of ram as it will help.

3d ready... if you keep monitor long enough, 3d will be back again :)

Hunt Showdown

Recommended system requirements:
CPU: Intel i5-6600 @ 3.3Ghz (6th Generation) or AMD Ryzen 5 1400
RAM: 12 GB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB or AMD Radeon R9 390X
DX: Version 11
STO: 20 GB available space
Sound: DirectX compatible audio card
NET: Broadband Internet connection

you mostly beat that now... the extra ram would help.

HyperX don't exist anymore. They were owned by Kingston originally but they sold HyperX to HP 2 years ago. Its now Kingston Fury memory. Makes it fun to try to match to your Motherbaord

Corsair show 16 sets of 16gb - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/c/mem...pecs.Memory Size::16&type=findbycompatibility - though some are just one stick. Better to get 2 new ones.
Intel pretty good but mixing sticks can lead to errors you didn't have before.

I would get these even if you don't use the rgb, they best there - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/mem...hz-c16-memory-kit-a-white-cmw16gx4m2a2666c16w

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Hello Colif,

Thanks for answering.

Haha, yeah I liked the 3D headline too, when I copied from the receipt. I guess 2015 says it all :D

So what new/better card (GPU) would you aim for?

Is the Monitor a problem, or would you leave it be?

Again thanks for your help.

monitor can do 144hz, it should be fine... unless you want a new one.

So what new/better card (GPU) would you aim for?
well, the 4060 is a joke so I wouldn't suggest it. All the nvidia cards above the 4060 are getting super versions soon so depending how much you want to spend, I would wait for them.

If you want to try AMD, the 7800XT isn't bad.
...and my power suply is (I believe): 500W Bronze Certified (88%) HYDRO PRO 500-SG

I can find this one - https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/HYDROPRO500W.html

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Interesting (in regard to the monitor). When I play the game without V-sync the game will crash, if I set it to run free on FPS, but if I add V-sync it runs okay smooth but can't exceed 60 FPS.

I like your choice of GPU, but isn't it a bit too pricy compared to my other components in the computer? Or would it just make a huge different?

Regarding the power supply that seems about right. Do I need to change that?

Again thanks for your time.

A lot of this comes down to your budget.

The first thing I would change is the PSU and GPU. You already have 16gb of RAM and a reasonable CPU. Replacing the CPU, motherboard and RAM is something you can do at a later date and would have to be done together.

Something like a Corsair RM850e
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020263-na
which is only £5 more than the RM750e gives you a PSU which can deal with cards like the 7800XT or similar either now or in the future.

A 7800XT like
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...deon-rx-7800-xt-16-gb-video-card-rx-78tmercb9
is going to cost between £520 and £550.

If this is too much then something like a 6700XT can be had for around £330 and is still a really decent 1440p card. According to UserBenchmark it's around 40% faster and more importantly has 12gb vs the 6gb of the 2060.

Also something to consider would be a cheap NvME 1tb drive if you don't have one already. You can probably pick up a decent one for around £60.

So for somewhere around £485 (with a AMD 6700XT GPU and a NvME drive) you would get a good upgrade.

Interesting (in regard to the monitor). When I play the game without V-sync the game will crash, if I set it to run free on FPS, but if I add V-sync it runs okay smooth but can't exceed 60 FPS.

I like your choice of GPU, but isn't it a bit too pricy compared to my other components in the computer? Or would it just make a huge different?

Regarding the power supply that seems about right. Do I need to change that?

Again thanks for your time.
Its a decent modern PSU design internally but a little low powered at 500W. Fortunately your CPU isnt the most power hungry, good reviews showing it using 170 Watts during a stress test including other system components. In a relatively barebones rig that would leave you 330 Watts spare for a GPU, but Id be conservative with that. Its coming towards end of warranty as well.

Good suggestions above, a better higher capacity PSU definitely a good idea if youre going to upgarde GPU, as is an NVME drive. It does depend on how much youre looking to spend though?

Welcome to the forum :)

a proper budget update

Okay, the guys really need to know how much you have to spend—split it by small improvement v big improvement if you like. Without this, people are flying blind.

shooting games like Hunt Showdown

That's another key info, how you will use PC. As Colif said, you can play that game with current rig, so what other games and uses do you foresee? It will make a big difference to recommendations.

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Okay, the guys really need to know how much you have to spend—split it by small improvement v big improvement if you like. Without this, people are flying blind.

That's another key info, how you will use PC. As Colif said, you can play that game with current rig, so what other games and uses do you foresee? It will make a big difference to recommendations.
Hello all,

Thank you for all your comments, thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate it.

I understand how you would like me to be more specific (budget, games, needs etc.), but I have to admit that I don't have those thought sorted out. For me it is more about listening to more experience people (preferable gaming enthusiasts) and what their recommendations would be for my next step to a more enjoyable gaming experience.

Rolfil mentioned some good thoughts and together with other comments, I am now pretty sure that I would find the most value in a new video card. I think the AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT would suit my price level most.

Together with that video card I should invest in a PSU. Would the 850e be the best proposal for that?

I have to admit that my hardware knowledge is lower than I thought. Mentioning the NvME sounds like a interesting idea that I would like to do. Can you specify what this is and do (sorry for my lack of knowledge), and preferable which I should choose that suits my current setup.

Again thanks for your comments.

Nvme are ssd that are attached to your motherboard physically instead of how normal ssd are - via a cable. They run much faster than ssd do. Max speed of a ssd is 550mb/s, nvme for your board can top out at 3500 mb/s

rolfi might suggest a cheaper one but I would get a https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-ssd-1tb-mz-v7s1t0bw/ since I already have one :)

if you look on page 15 it shows how to install it - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0m-h_e.pdf?v=c37fd2ef5b20ed0b258976b7c602f6bd
Page 12 shows where.

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Nvme are ssd that are attached to your motherboard physically instead of how normal ssd are - via a cable. They run much faster than ssd do. Max speed of a ssd is 550mb/s, nvme for your board can top out at 3500 mb/s

rolfi might suggest a cheaper one but I would get a https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-ssd-1tb-mz-v7s1t0bw/ since I already have one :)

if you look on page 15 it shows how to install it - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...0m-h_e.pdf?v=c37fd2ef5b20ed0b258976b7c602f6bd
Page 12 shows where.
Cool. Very useful, Colif.

The NvME you are refering to is this the right one: https://www.proshop.dk/SSD/Samsung-...BCwWOmyel7uMuQcqQdGOkAv0wl0ou3yhoCYIYQAvD_BwE (I live in Denmark, and want to buy from there).

These are easy to install and no need for another Motherboard?

980 Pro is better than the one I suggested, so that should be fine. Your motherboard is PCIe gen 3. That drive is pcie gen 4. It will work but it won't run at its fastest speed. Just thought I mention that but its still way faster than a ssd is. If/when you get a new PC you can move it over and it should be faster on new one. I wouldn't not get it just because you can't get max speed now.

pcie gen 3 can do max 3500
pcie gen 4 can do 7000
pcie gen 5 can do 14000 and burn down PC as it does it (as faster they go, more heat they create).

nvme speed is reliant on Motherboard to deliver, a pcie 4 drive in a pcie 3 board only runs as fast as board does.

Faster they go, less you notice the increase. Unless you move really big files, its not noticeable. Especially in games.

no other motherboard is needed. According to instructions in your manual, you use a plastic clip so this video might help.

All you do is install it and format it in windows. nvme make things easier. It depends if you want to put windows on it or just use it for storage. I use mine as windows boot drive. I try not to put too many games on it, but until I got an extra 4tb ssd, it was really hard not to use it for games.

I have opposite, a pcie 3 nvme on a pcie 4 motherboard. If installing windows again wasn't such a pain, I would upgrade. I could clone the install onto new drive but my 2nd nvme slot is under my GPU and I don't feel like taking it out... or messing with its mounting points. I have replaced almost all of PC this year, maybe I do that if nvme dies.

Last edited:
  • Love

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts