Question need advice on psu choices for RTX2070super

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
hi guys, it's my first time building a PC and i need your help and advice.

I have bought everything but im very confused about PSU wattage. I got 650W PSU, since on gigabyte RTX 2070 super website said recommended PSU is 650W

here is all i got

CPU: i7 10700
MOBO: gigabyte Z490 gaming X
VGA: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 3X 8G
COOLER: cooler master liquid 240L V2 RGB
RAM: TridentZ 8GB x 2
PSU: FSP hydro g pro 650w 80+ gold
CASE FANS: 3 x MasterFan MF120L White

i will using dual monitor. not building it yet because some part are still on delivery.

and the question is can i run it without problem or i should change to psu with higher wattage?

Last edited:
The PSU is more than fine for that system. Recommendations for PSUs on graphics cards specs tend to significantly overestimate to allow for those running low quality PSUs. If you happen to experience a problem with your system, it won't be the PSU wattage.

What case are you using?

What spec of monitor are you getting? Presumably better than 1080p with a 2070 Super?

Are you aware of new GPU and CPUs all set to launch within the next few weeks and months?

Reactions: vivid
Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
The PSU is more than fine for that system. Recommendations for PSUs on graphics cards specs tend to significantly overestimate to allow for those running low quality PSUs. If you happen to experience a problem with your system, it won't be the PSU wattage.

What case are you using?

What spec of monitor are you getting? Presumably better than 1080p with a 2070 Super?

Are you aware of new GPU and CPUs all set to launch within the next few weeks and months?

awesome! thank you for the explanation, im just worried to much.

The case im using are Cooler Master Q500L

forgot to mentions SSD and HDD: adata SX8200 and 2TB seagate barracuda

im using BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 240Hz and Dell s2316H

Sadly the news about a new Card and CPUs come after i bough these.

I will using this PC for gaming and streaming also for video editing and design stuff.

There is the option to return the items for a refund, potentially. Depends how long you've had the parts and what the stores' policies are.

The spec is suitable for your uses, but if it's not urgent I'd be strongly tempted to wait for the new stuff.

If you decide to proceed with the build, I'm a little concerned about the case. It's apparently not great for cooling. And buying a budget case only to spend a load extra on fans usually means you should get a better case with not only more/better fans included but better airflow as well due to design differences.

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
There is the option to return the items for a refund, potentially. Depends how long you've had the parts and what the stores' policies are.

The spec is suitable for your uses, but if it's not urgent I'd be strongly tempted to wait for the new stuff.

If you decide to proceed with the build, I'm a little concerned about the case. It's apparently not great for cooling. And buying a budget case only to spend a load extra on fans usually means you should get a better case with not only more/better fans included but better airflow as well due to design differences.

Unfortunately there is no stores with refund policies here, in my country.

It seems i will stick to this build because it will be to long to wait the new RTX30 release here.

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll pick NZXT case, between H710 or H510 elite it look had a better design on the air flow.

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
H710 if you can and it's not too expensive, in my opinion, as it leaves you a lot more choice for radiator and fan placement.
Thank you very much for your helps and advices. will get h710 for sure with that flexibleness for fan placement and since i'm not really into RGB things, it would be a better choice.

Awesome! everything is set now. Once again thank you and have a wholesome day sir!

Reactions: Oussebon
Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
Those temps sound good. And are all perfectly safe. 60s while gaming is very decent on the CPU (and for the CPU for that matter)

Temps in the 40s on idle are fine. If it's a few degrees higher than you were expecting, potentially ambient temperatures, or the specific fan profile might affect that. I wouldn't give it any thought because - as long as the load temps are decent - it doesn't really matter if the CPU is idling at (e.g.) 38 degrees or 43 degrees. That difference is academic.

If there was a problem with the cooling, you'd see in reflected in the load temperatures. And the temps you list under load are good.

Reactions: vivid
Re: GPU idle at 50 degrees.

I'll mention something that - according to the HWinfo screenshot you posted - isn't happening to you but as you're interested in temps and you say it "idles at 50" could be of interest.

If a GPU pretty much constant at 50 degrees (literally 49/50 degrees), there is a 'thing' it might be doing that isn't a problem but can irritate some people.

If I recall correctly, 50 degrees is the threshold for idle fan stop on some graphics cards - the feature where the GPU's fans turn off when the GPU is on low loads in order to cool the card passively just with the heatsink.

A behaviour you can sometimes see happen is the cards appear to get 'stuck' at 50 degrees.

This usually happens because although the card is on low load, something is preventing the card from reducing its frequencies. Usually software with some kind of GPU acceleration, which could be a game client or a web browser. This means that although the GPU is doing hardly any work, it is unnecessarily maintaining its full clock speeds, which produces more heat. Not loads more, but a bit more. Enough to push the temps over 50 degrees. At which point the fans turn on and cool the card back down to under 50 degrees almost instantly. And so the fans turn off. And the card's temps rise to just over 50 degrees, and the fans come on again... and so on.

This isn't a particular problem, though could be an irritation if you hear the fans go on and off.

If you suspect that's happening, check your GPU frequencies on idle, when you are getting 50 degrees temps. If they are high, this could be what is happening.

GPU-Z is a handy tool for this, as it conveniently shows GPU temps, frequencies, and fan speeds with both numbers and a graph showing the last short period of time. It gives a handy visual representation - e.g. if the fan speed graph keeps going from 0 to a few hundred rpm, to 0, and so on.

If you open Nvidia control panel, on the menu bar at the very top of the program is "Desktop" under which is "display GPU activity icon in notification area". Check that and you'll see a new icon in your system tray. It will list the applications using the GPU.

Close them until you notice the GPU frequencies drop down to (probably) a few hundred Hz.

Again, 50 degrees on idle is entirely safe for the GPU. It might just indicate that it's not downclocking (which isn't dangerous either, it might just bug you or use a tiny bit more power than necessary).

Your HWinfo screenshot shows low frequencies, temps below 50 degrees, and the fans on 0rpm. So that doesn't seem to be happening to you. Just mentioning as you might find of interest :p

Last edited:
Reactions: vivid and Frindis
Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
lol, I thought on that current temperature it will be a problem, since i used low spec GPU before, (gtx1050ti single fan):ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the explanation, now i much more understands about these things.

Installed GPU-Z and monitoring my GPU, apparently it will turn the fans on at 60 degrees.

thank you man, now i don't need to worry:LOL:

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS