Need advice for my Asus G20 CI desktop

Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
So I'm new to computer upgrades and was curious about my Asus G20 CI

Would I be able to upgrade the CPU with is currently an Intel i7-7700 to a better one and the GPU from the GTX-1080 to an rtx - 3080 turbo? Basically I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can upgrade that will considerably improve performance. I figured if I have to take off the CPU cooler to get to the ram, I might as well upgrade it.

I'm just not sure what other things would need upgrading to support it. Or if this stuff is plug and play once swapped out 🤷🏽‍♂️. Again, I'm new at this lol.

Thank you for your help

Hi,

Would I be able to upgrade the CPU with is currently an Intel i7-7700 to a better one and the GPU from the GTX-1080 to an rtx - 3080 turbo? Basically I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can upgrade that will considerably improve performance. I figured if I have to take off the CPU cooler to get to the ram, I might as well upgrade it.

I'm just not sure what other things would need upgrading to support it. Or if this stuff is plug and play once swapped out 🤷🏽‍♂️. Again, I'm new at this lol.

Thank you for your help
I searched for the power supply that comes with that prebuilt but I had no luck. Upgrading it is going to be a major pain, especially the psu which will most likely need to be upgraded in order to upgrade the gpu.

I couldn't even find the psu they used for that prebuilt in this review down below.

Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
So the exact model is G20CI-DS71-GTX1080. I just tried to look up the PSU too and I'm having no luck. I might have to take it apart again to confirm it. This computer is definitely not the best with space inside but idk, I feel like it'd be a nice challenge, even if I end up breaking it. I have a back up razer laptop, so I might just go for it

I'm going to put about $1500 towards it. I know the gpu alone will be expensive, so I could try a used rtx - 2080 or a 3070. If the cost is significantly more, I'll hold off on upgrading it and just buy a prebuild, just takes the fun away from learning how to build or upgrade. If I have to, I'll just buy a cool case and start accumulating pc components until I can just build one from scratch. Watching Linus tech tips reignited an interest I had 15 years ago lol.

So the exact model is G20CI-DS71-GTX1080. I just tried to look up the PSU too and I'm having no luck. I might have to take it apart again to confirm it. This computer is definitely not the best with space inside but idk, I feel like it'd be a nice challenge, even if I end up breaking it. I have a back up razer laptop, so I might just go for it

I'm going to put about $1500 towards it. I know the gpu alone will be expensive, so I could try a used rtx - 2080 or a 3070. If the cost is significantly more, I'll hold off on upgrading it and just buy a prebuild, just takes the fun away from learning how to build or upgrade. If I have to, I'll just buy a cool case and start accumulating pc components until I can just build one from scratch. Watching Linus tech tips reignited an interest I had 15 years ago lol.
For $1500 you can build yourself a decent PC.

Fractal Design Pop Mini Air mATX Case $89.99

CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM750x 750W 80+ GOLD Modular Power Supply $109.99 ETA Date: 1/20/2023

ASRock B760M Steel Legend WiFi $169.99

Intel Core i5-12400F $166.96

DeepCool AK400 CPU Cooler $27.99

Team T-Force Vulcan DDR5 5600 32GB (2x16GB) CL36 $124.99

Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 Internal SSD $161.99

Total: $851.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Home (USB) $135.99

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for your help

Hello!

I will do my best to tell you what I know as I still use my ASUS G20CI to this day as my daily PC.

Here are my current Specs.

Intel Core I7-7700

GTX Titan XP 12GB GPU

64GB of DDR4 3200mhz

2TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS +

2 TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD 2.5

I can tell you that my Titan XP has a max power draw of 250watts and that the GTX1080 has a max power draw of 165 - 170 watts (based on a quick Google search you might want to verify as this can vary depending on which specific GPU you have)

I have used both a GTX 1080ti FE and the Titan XP Star Wars edition card in this PC with no issues of overheating, on my desktop or either of the power bricks or maxing out my PSU. I've never had a problem and I do push this desktop pretty hard. I have seen a few forums where people have bought different or larger power supplys for this desktop (not OEM or intended for the G20CI but works) I have also seen a forum where some have achieved being able to drop an i9-9900k in and every CPU with the same socket between the i7-7700 - i9-9900K running stable with some heavy modifications to the BIOS and some other steps such as heat sinks for VRMs and such. It is important to note that any GPU you decide to put in the G20CI should most definitely be a blower-style card.

not sure how much this will help but just what I know!

Link to CPU MOD:

Best of luck!

TRENDING THREADS