Question Msvcp140.dll help

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
I just bought a refurbished pc from Amazon. It's the same model as my previous pc that recently died. When I try to run certain programs, I get a message saying that Msvcp140.dll was not found. I downloaded c++ redistributable as was suggested on ms.com but I'm still getting this error message. Any suggestions? Win 10 64 bit

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
Oh man this is gonna be a slog! I just put all my old files on this thing.No don't know why people can't do their jobs right the first time!!

Well, I really appreciate your response...Im not exactly sure how to go about n this now because if I factory reset, and switch on, it's going to automatically start trying to install. Do you mean just in install and then dl win 10?

COLGeek

@COLGeek could SFC maybe help with this, before having to nuke?
SFC might help. The issue with refurbed rigs is that you aren't sure how well the OS install was applied.

Try this. Open an elevated command prompt and run.

SFC /scannow

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
Im getting an error 740 message. Elevated permissions are required... Im the only administrator on this thing.

Ill wait for one more suggestion, and then this thing is going back, which is a shame because the first one I had worked so well.

Edit: for the time being, never mind. I found the solution to this problem. I'll see what happens next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
I assume you worked out you need to run as admin

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H2
If you on 22H2 (unlikely) you could always try https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html though that depends on installed version

i would have run the long version
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
Windows resource protection did not to d any integrity violations....

Yep, figured out the admin thing. Actually thought it would be automatic... Look s like Ill be trying out your suggestion next.

TRENDING THREADS