MSc Research Survey on Player Preferences in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently joined this forum and couldn't work out how to DM any moderators, so if this goes against any rules please let me know.

Hi everyone, I'm an MSc Cyberpsychology student looking for participants to complete my survey on player preferences in video games. Participation is entirely optional and the research has been ethically approved by Nottingham Trent University. To take part you need to 18+ and be a gamer (play video games on any tech device/platform). The survey should take between 15-20mins to complete and I would be very grateful if you do complete it and share it with others who may also be interested in completing it! Thanks in advance!
https://ntupsychology.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bJaWJPI0sawRewm

Reactions: Lutfij
Welcome to the forum :)

survey should take between 15-20mins
Took me about 40 minutes, probably old age :)

Liked it a lot, the way it looks at overall personality and then 'game personality' and game content. We get a trickle of surveys here, yours is probably the best I've completed in terms of relating gaming to the overall person. Nice job!

I assume you know about Quantic Foundry?

Reactions: Zloth
Welcome to the forum :)

Took me about 40 minutes, probably old age :)

Liked it a lot, the way it looks at overall personality and then 'game personality' and game content. We get a trickle of surveys here, yours is probably the best I've completed in terms of relating gaming to the overall person. Nice job!

I assume you know about Quantic Foundry?
Haha, the timings were based on pre-tests I had some non-gamer friends do but thanks for taking the time to do it! I wasn't aware of 'Quantic Foundry' specifically, but I was aware of Nick Yee's research into motivations for video games and MMO's (which was part of the inspiration for my research).

Zloth

Community Contributor
I just bumped into that stuff on YouTube a week or so ago. I didn't post anything about it because all the researched seemed WAY up in the air, still.

In the reasons to play section, it looks like some questions are repeated. It's normal to do that in a survey, I know, but it's not normal to have them all grouped together!

I think you're missing a big reason for playing games - at least a big one for me. I really love the novel problem solving you get in games. You get some really unique tools to solve your problems in games, whether they come from spells, technology, or superpowers. The really fun thing about levelling up a character for me is that it makes new tools available.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I wanted to reply earlier but apparently this message is marked as spam-like.
Thanks for the insight! While the scale I used is more comprehensive than others that were available, unfortunately it can't measure every single aspect in gaming. Also I would have liked to randomise the questions but sometimes the order of the questions in these scale is also important and I was advised not to.

Interesting. I put out a bunch of surveys decades ago, and a fundamental quality control was to have very similar Qs distributed in it, to eliminate the auto-clickers.
Yep, surveys with a lot of questions generally have similar questions or questions that are the opposite to a previous one to check that people aren't just clicking the same response every single time.

I just want to say that I really appreciate that you have stuck around and become part of our discussions. A lot of times people post a survey, and that's the only post they ever make. So it's kind of refreshing to have you actually participate in the community, even outside of your research.

I have a lot going on right now, but I'll try to do your survey when I get a chance.

I just want to say that I really appreciate that you have stuck around and become part of our discussions. A lot of times people post a survey, and that's the only post they ever make. So it's kind of refreshing to have you actually participate in the community, even outside of your research.

I have a lot going on right now, but I'll try to do your survey when I get a chance.
It's a pleasure, I've never really been a part of any forums but trying to gain more participants has introduced me to the enjoyable side of such communities :)

People on this website are not a proper cross-section of gamers. Comment sections and forums attract certain types of people. To get a proper reading, I would set up a table on campus or at a shopping center and stop people at random.

I say this as someone who ran a survey center for years.
Thanks for the input! I also have it spread out across social media and some gaming discords, and it has spread a little from friends sending it to their gaming friends. Face to face conversations like those also introduces a different aspect that requires separate ethical approval.

Got the survey done. The 20 minute estimate was very accurate for me.

Can I ask you a question to get some perspective behind the scenes? There are many times when the survey basically asks the exact same thing, only worded differently, like 3 or 4 times in a row. Then later in the survey, it will ask you the same thing again in a different way. I've noticed that method being used in a lot of surveys. Is there a reason for that? Can you get some kind of psychological data from people not answering it the same way each time, or what?

Got the survey done. The 20 minute estimate was very accurate for me.

Can I ask you a question to get some perspective behind the scenes? There are many times when the survey basically asks the exact same thing, only worded differently, like 3 or 4 times in a row. Then later in the survey, it will ask you the same thing again in a different way. I've noticed that method being used in a lot of surveys. Is there a reason for that? Can you get some kind of psychological data from people not answering it the same way each time, or what?
Thanks! In some cases, it might be that the difference in wording may be asking about a similar concept but a different aspect to it. A lot of the time questions with the same/ similar wording, or questions that have a directly opposing question are made so that you can tell if someone is actually thinking through the questions and answering them or just clicking to get through it. I didn't make the surveys myself so I can't give you a concrete answer. The last two surveys are also about similar things (one being motivations to play, the next being characteristics of games that appeal to you), so there would probably be overlap there as they are separate but looking into very similar things. Hope this clears it up a little.

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi I answered!
I am a MSc in child development and am currently writing my thesis on a related topic :) I recognized some of the questions in your survey. Would you be willing to share the results at a later stage with us as well?

Hi I answered!
I am a MSc in child development and am currently writing my thesis on a related topic :) I recognized some of the questions in your survey. Would you be willing to share the results at a later stage with us as well?
Yes! Once everything is completed and I've received the grades I'll either post a summary of the findings (if there are any) or post a link a journal article if the research is good enough to be published :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS