Movies you're watching

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Munich: The Edge of War 2021, 2h 10m
George MacKay
Jannis Niewöhner
Jeremy Irons
Decent fictional account of the 1938 Munich conference which delayed WW2 for a year. It would have been better around 90 minutes, cutting out the filler about relationships which didn't add anything.

Jeremy is his usual excellent self as Neville Chamberlain, and the 2 younger leads are also very good. Apart from the filler, it's well paced and tense.

7/10

The Dig 2021 1h 52m
Carey Mulligan
Ralph Fiennes
Lily James
No action here, slow as dirt. Excellent character studies with loads of overtones about mortality and how fleeting life can be.

3 leads are great—first time I've seen Lily, quite impressed. Ralph is sublime, and Carey is excellent. I wish they did a bit extra on Lily's character, her motivations were left unclear.

The plot centers around the true story of a major archaeological discovery in England in 1938.

8/10

Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Finn Wolfhard
Mckenna Grace
Bill Murray
Dan Aykroyd
Ernie Hudson
Not too shabby at all. Good opening with some scariness, similar to how the original Ghostbuster started out. Homage to the old movies and a lot of the actors from the Ghostbuster stars in the movie which is really, really cool. The plot is what you can expect: An evil force awakens, and young teens find old equipment to fight the evil force spiced with a little family drama. The mid-to-end is unfortunately rushed and there should have been MORE focus on the paranormal. The ending is very touching and I think most people will shed a tear or two through that. Overall, I enjoyed it and hopefully, the upcoming sequel can improve on some of the aspects mentioned.

6/10

Reactions: Brian Boru
Blackhat 2015 2h 13m
Chris Hemsworth
Viola Davis
Tang Wei
This is about 2 hours longer than it needs to be—must have been produced by Chris's beautician, with cinematography mainly via a GoPro drone one foot from his face.

Directed by Michael Mann—Heat, The Last of the Mohicans—I knew this would get better. It didn't. Chris is totally the wrong guy for a serious occupation role, and the whole thing is just sooo slooooooow. I suspect Mann is only cashing in these days.

3/10

Lower if you're not interested in the tech;
Higher if you drool over Chris.

Unknown 2011 1h 53m
Liam Neeson
Diane Kruger
January Jones
If you ignore various plot holes, this is a very good action thriller. Despite a big car chase, it maintains an interesting plot—and if you can see the twist coming, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din :)

I like Liam and he's very good in this. JJ doesn't have much to do, but Diane puts in a strong performance—and the supporting cast is pretty good too.

75/100

Zloth

Community Contributor
Watched Free Guy recently. For pity's sake people, make sure your PCs and consoles are SHUT DOWN when this show is playing. Absolutely no watching and playing at the same time!!

All in all, it was fairly good. Not worth watching twice, but worth watching.

Thor: Love and Thunder

I gave up after 40 minutes. In my opinion it was terrible - Thor acted like a complete insensitive sod, the jokes were not funny and the story (in the first 40 minutes) could of been written by me (that's how bad it was).

Did anyone like it and why?

Zloth

Community Contributor
Did anyone like it and why?
I liked it! A bunch of the jokes did fall flat (they were trying too hard and too often) but the movie worked fairly well. I loved the jokes talking to the hammer and axe. I for-real sprained my side a little laughing at what happened when Thor's clothes came off.

Oh, the "kid power" bit at the end was blah, too. OK OK, mostly-blah. Stuffed-bunny-zapping was cool.

Red Joan 2018 1h 41m
Judi Dench
Sophie Cookson
Stephen Campbell Moore
Inspired loosely by the story of Melita Norwood, who gave British atom bomb research to the Soviets, and remained undetected for ~50 years. Well told—Judi is Joan at time of unmasking, and Sophie is Joan back around WW2. Both are great, and the switches between 'now' and 'then' are neither jarring nor confusing.

It's an interesting story and nicely paced—but this is no Bond movie. There's a low level of tension throughout, without any unnecessary action drama.

8/10

The Interpreter 2005, 2h 8m
Nicole Kidman
Sean Penn
Catherine Keener
Assassination plot at the UN in NY v African dictator— first film ever shot inside the UN HQ. Directed by the venerable Sydney Pollack.

Meh. I like Catherine and Sean, and Nicole when she's in a suitable part. Catherine is good, but Sean & Nicole are hamstrung by a poor screenplay and a lack of chemistry between them. Add in poor pacing—mainly too slow, which dilutes the tension in what should be a thriller—one extremely huge plot hole, and a weak ending.

Not a waste of time, but I was bored—needed to quit after ~70m and finish next night.

5/10

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys nice to know you and this GREAT forum 🔥

I watched "PRISONERS" yesterday with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. The Intense performances from both of them gave me the chills:confounded: Only this sort of quality for me please.

Highly recommended!

Official Secrets 2019, 1h 52m
Keira Knightley
Ralph Fiennes
Matt Smith
Matthew Goode
From what I know from following the issue, this is a more true-to-life representation of a real-life story than most such Hollywood movies—so credit to all, even if it took over a decade to bring the story to the screen… maybe too hot to handle?

It's about Katharine Gun, who exposed the US's attempt to subvert the UN Security Council's vote prior to the second Iraq war. Keira is very good as Katherine, Ralph is his always excellent self as her barrister, and the rest are all fine.

Even tho I knew the outcome, I still felt the tension throughout—it's a really well-made and interesting movie.

9/10

Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS