Question Mouse stutters no matter what.

Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
My mouse randomly stutters/lags no matter what. ( i7 9700K RTX 2070 SUPER 16gb ram 1800GB SSD, I have tried 3 different gaming mice, Logitech Super Light, Logitech g502 and a steel series mouse cant remember the name. I have tried cleaning each mouse and using different mouse pads as well. I have tried looking up different ways to combat this issue, none helped. It only happens when connected wirelessly. I already am using the dongle, and have tried each usb port. If you have any ideas I am open to trying anything at this point.

Welcome to the forum :)

You've given us very little to go on, which makes it very difficult to help you. Please supply some basic info;

PC or Laptop?
Graphics card or integrated graphics?

What DPI is mouse at?
What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor set to?
What OS and version?
If batteries involved, change 'em.

When an expert drops by, they'll probably need some mre basic info, so have a look here and supply anything you can answer easily:

only happens when connected wirelessly

♣ So all is well when you use the mice with a wired connection, yeah?
Is the wired also an USB connection?
Bluetooth is not involved, right?

♦ One possibility that suggests is a faulty wireless function, so check your wireless card or motherboard for new drivers.

♥ Check the mouse settings for power saving settings, which may very briefly switch off the mouse. Windows power-saving might also cause it.

♠ What is CPU and GPU utilization when the stutter happens?

♣ Look for any info or warning markers in Device Manager, both Mouse and USB sections. Mouse may have a setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"—if so, disable.

It may be useful to uninstall the USB drivers and let Windows reinstall them on a reboot, but I'm not sure how to do that safely.

♦ Check Reliability Monitor and/or Event Viewer for problem events at the same time as the stuttering.

♥ Check what other software is running alongside or in the background, which might briefly hog resources.

♠ If on Windows, run…
SFC /scannow
…whih can take an hour or two.

Someone more knowledgeable who has one of those mice should be along soon and have more/better suggestions. Good luck :)

Last edited:
My mouse randomly stutters/lags no matter what. ( i7 9700K RTX 2070 SUPER 16gb ram 1800GB SSD, I have tried 3 different gaming mice, Logitech Super Light, Logitech g502 and a steel series mouse cant remember the name. I have tried cleaning each mouse and using different mouse pads as well. I have tried looking up different ways to combat this issue, none helped. It only happens when connected wirelessly. I already am using the dongle, and have tried each usb port. If you have any ideas I am open to trying anything at this point.
If you are on a laptop, make sure your other wrist isn't brushing the touchpad. Do you have mouse software that runs in the background all the time, like maybe GG from the SteelSeries? Have you checked if your USB ports need driver updates?

it can't be the mouse if you tried 3.

have you got latest gpu drivers as they can also be to blame.

have you tried using in another location, it might be interference if it only happens on wireless.

what motherboard are you using?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.
if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

PC or Laptop?

answers questions:
PC... you won't find a 2070 Super in a laptop
my last answer also answers if its a GPU or not... Nvidia are yet to make a CPU with an integrated 2070 Super, so I guess its a GPU :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

You've given us very little to go on, which makes it very difficult to help you. Please supply some basic info;

PC or Laptop?

What DPI is mouse at?
What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor set to?
What OS and version?
If batteries involved, change 'em.

When an expert drops by, they'll probably need some mre basic info, so have a look here and supply anything you can answer easily:

♣ So all is well when you use the mice with a wired connection, yeah?
Is the wired also an USB connection?
Bluetooth is not involved, right?

♦ One possibility that suggests is a faulty wireless function, so check your wireless card or motherboard for new drivers.

♥ Check the mouse settings for power saving settings, which may very briefly switch off the mouse. Windows power-saving might also cause it.

♠ What is CPU and GPU utilization when the stutter happens?

♣ Look for any info or warning markers in Device Manager, both Mouse and USB sections. Mouse may have a setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"—if so, disable.

It may be useful to uninstall the USB drivers and let Windows reinstall them on a reboot, but I'm not sure how to do that safely.

♦ Check Reliability Monitor and/or Event Viewer for problem events at the same time as the stuttering.

♥ Check what other software is running alongside or in the background, which might briefly hog resources.

♠ If on Windows, run…
SFC /scannow
…whih can take an hour or two.

Someone more knowledgeable who has one of those mice should be along soon and have more/better suggestions. Good luck :)
It is a pc, not laptop. On rust my cpu and gpu both range (50-70%). I have tried using different dpi from 400-1600(I like 1600 the most) I am running latest drivers. The mouse is connected to the dongle its not bluetooth. FPS and utilization both remain consistent during stutters. The game never lags unless I am looking around. I will try your suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with latency problems, but I do remember people with mouse issues using Latency Mon to help diagnose the issue.

Just throwing it in there as something you could possibly look into. I dont know much beyond that as I've never used it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts