More FPS without overclocking

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,

First time overclocking here.

JayZTwoCents has a video (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQe6pEEtVI&feature=emb_logo
) saying power target is fine being pushed to max allowed as well as temp target. That's on evga precision overclocking software. I was just wondering if the same is true for nzxt cam software. I put my power limit to the max, so +20% as you can see in the picture, is that fine?

And what should I do concerning memory clock and core clock? I didn't touch core clock yet, can I push it that last little bit without any issues?

Thanks

Its best to state what card you have so people know. :)

I havent overclocked a graphics card for a while. But yes you can safely max out the power limiter and it might mean your card boosts frequency a little higher for a little longer. You should also set a custom fan curve if you didnt already to keep the card cooler, which might get you a small boost in exchange for more noise.

One thing to note occasionally raising the power limiter can cause more heat as it might raise the voltage slightly, this then has the opposite affect of causing the card to lower frequency to fit the power limit. (Power is voltage multiplied by current/clockspeed) Potentially making it perform slightly worse. All the architectures react slightly differently so that may or may not be true for you.

From the slider you have in CAM it doesnt look like they give you much to play with as far as frequency is concerned anymore. 1780 to 1820 is about 2% extra clock speed so I probably wouldnt bother as performance doesnt even always scale linearly with clockspeed.

If you are set on doing it look up a guide specific to whatever series your card is rather than a general one. Something like MSI Afterburner might give you more options than CAM. I'll just say whatever you do make sure to monitor your temperatures at all times.

The Zotac guy was talking about GPU boost. Cards these days basically will clock themselves as high as they can depending on how hot they get and how much power they are allowed to use according to parameters set by their BIOS. With older cards (10+ years ago) they had a set frequency they always stayed at. Sometimes they would overclock by quite a lot without even changing the voltage.

I believe possible to get a little extra on top sometimes, but if you want to do anything more than a few % you're probably going to want to flash the BIOS and add voltage and extra cooling. Of course you only do that if you know what you are doing and really dont mind voiding the warranty/breaking the card.

TRENDING THREADS