Question Monitor issues.

I've been having monitor issues for the last few months now.

My old monitor had started to randomly lose connectio with the PC, ant the only way to fix it was to turn the PC off and on again.

I figured it was an old monitor, so maybe it was time for an upgrade. So I switched to an AOC CQ27G2 gaming monitor. The issue persisted, and became worse.

At first it was every now and then, mostly during gaming. Then it became more frequent when I changed monitors. It would disconnect when doing something as simple as starting a game up - losing connection before the main menu had time to load in.

I the went through the usual maintenance checks. I used Memtest ony ram - both of them are issue-free - I updated the bios of my motherboard and drivers on my graphics card. Yet still the issue persisted.

My initial research suggested it was a faulty GPU, and planning to upgrade anyway, I got a new card - an NVIDIA RTX 3060 - and installed it two days ago.

This seemed to help, until I changed the refresh output from 60Hz to 120Hz. That was when the screen disconnected again.

Thinking I found the problem, I tried to upgrade the drivers of my monitor, onky for NVIDIA to prevent this by shwoing me a message that read "you already have the best drivers, you dont need to update this". Then linked me to a Windows update instead.

I updated the drivers again, and this time I changed the refresh through the GPU menu instead and put it to 144Hz.

This actually seemed to reslolve the issue, I could play games without the screen disconnecting, it actually stayed on during initial game boot ups.

It looked like I'd solved the issue. Until I played one final game as a test. Arkham Asylum, for context. It was fine for about ten minutes, then I walk through a door, and the screen disconnects.

I'm running out of ideas - and patience - for this problem and was hoping someone here would have any solutions.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Other than swapping cables, what did you change?
Nothing else. I swapped the cables, set the refresh rate back to 144hz, tested some games and it was fine until I put Sea of Thieves on. The screen disconnected after roughly 10 minutes, I turned the PC off, and when I tried to turn it back on nothing happened beyond the lights turning on.

Understood. What are the full specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?
Sure thing.

My specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Nuctua cooling fan

Motherboard: MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (MS - 7C84) with MSI Click Bios 5 Ver: E7C84AMS. 1FO

Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x (16GB)

SSD/HDD: Kingston SA2000M81000G (1TB SSD)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2x

PSU: Corsair RM 750x (Not sure of the exact age but I've had it since around 2019)

Chassis: NZXT H510 Compact ATX Mid-Tower

Monitor: AOC gaming monitor CQ27G2 (there's an SE at the end of that serial ID on Amazon too, but not on the AOC website. Just as a side note)

Just wondering if you have missed something really obvious ..... look at the power settings on your pc... is the monitor set to go to sleep after a certain length of time
No, nothing. And if it were that then I'd just have to move the mouse and it would turn on again, but this fully disconnects so I have to turn the PC off and on again. It started doing this with mynild monitor and then it got worse when I switched to a new one. Now nothing is working.

You say nothing is working but can you still type things into your search box.

If you can then look at reliability monitor for crash/error reports and also look in device manage for any yellow triangles.

Look at the number display and write down the post code and look at it again when something goes wrong then google the numbers.

You say nothing is working but can you still type things into your search box.

If you can then look at reliability monitor for crash/error reports and also look in device manage for any yellow triangles.

Look at the number display and write down the post code and look at it again when something goes wrong then google the numbers.
I mean nothing is working. It won't turn on now.

ok so this might be a dumb question ... have you accidentally pressed the psu button off when moving your pc.
Can you see any light pulsing on your mobo to indicate that power of some sort is getting the the pc.
No. I turned it of using the main power button, not the PSU, then when I tried to turn it on again, the first press did nothing, the second did turn it on.

The only thing that turns on are the lights on the ram sticks, and three little lights on the side of the motherboard: boot, VGA, and DRAM. The fans don't move at all and the screen doesn't connect.