Mid-Week Question: If you could respec in real life, how would you redistribute your skill points?

It's happened to all of us in an RPG at some point: You spent some skill points on something and regret it. Maybe you poured points into bartering to lower vendor prices but it turns out the game gives you more money than you know what to do with. Maybe you leveled up your skills on a ranged weapon but discovered you much prefer fighting melee. You thought you'd be doing a lot of illusion magic but wound up more of a destruction spellcaster. So when you get the chance to glug a respec potion, you grab all those poorly-spent points and direct them elsewhere.

So, what if you found a respec potion in real life? How would you redistribute your real skill points? Maybe you spent four years learning French but only went to Paris once, and you'd rather have used those skill points to learn to play piano? Maybe nine years in construction management isn't doing much to help your writing career? Maybe swimming lessons every single summer from age 4 to age 14 was overkill and you should have learned some auto-repair since you spend way more time driving than swimming? Maybe these are all examples from my actual life?

So, tell us how you'd respec yourself in real life if you had the chance—or if you're quite happy with the skills you've learned and wouldn't change a thing! We'll have answers from our staff and some from the forums posted on Wednesday!

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
Bearing in mind I've pretty much rolled charisma on everything in my life, maybe some points in Logic and Stamina wouldn't go amis. ;P

I'd probably respec knowing every episode of Friends into something useful, like a foreign language or something to make myself even cooler, like being better at guitar.

Oh and I've not once ever caught a ball or hit one. So whatever would have saved me the shame of that in PE. +10 Dexterity? Oh the social agony...

Strength: 0
Perception: 0
Endurance: 0
Charisma: 0
Intelligence: 0
Agility: 0
Luck: 10

Then all I need to do is play the lottery and bide my time.

Yeah, but when you win, your 0 Endurance would give you a heart attack. Assuming you even realized you won, with 0 Perception. Then when you won, your 0 intelligence would cause you to give all of it a way to a Nigerian prince who really needs it and will pay you back tenfold.

First I would reallocate the points from "Childhood TV theme song memorization" and put those into "Current password recall." Then I'd move a few points from "realtime anagram creation" and put them into "instant mail sorting by priority." And finally, I'd removed the "Fast Hair Growth" perk and instead choose the perk "Unphased By The Yawning Abyss of Eternal Nothingness."

[Edit: There'd be many, many others I'd change, but these were the ones I felt like mentioning semi-publicly.]

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
@Krud I haven't played Disco Elysium yet, but something tells me it's going to be like this.

I'd take back all the negative points I've slotted into Procrastination to increase Free Time (which is a skill that really should come with an asterisk denoting *NOT ACTUALLY FREE TIME - THIS IS BORROWED TIME, SUCKER!) and assign those to a balance of Effort and Care Less About What Other People Think But Not So Little As To Lose Yourself To Ego.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I'm holding on to my potion. Once I hit retirement, all those points spent on job skills can be redistributed into various Pen & Paper game rules knowledge. I'll be able to play D&D (every version), GURPS, Rolemaster, Star Fleet Battles, Gamma World, Traveller... all of it. AND I'll have the time to really play them!

P.S. Except the Paranoia rules, of course. Those are only for UV-level citizens so I would never dream of looking at them! Please don't shoot me!! ;)

Reactions: Pifanjr
Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Im actualy fine xDD pretty smart, motivated, some luck sometimes which i dont wait for ît ahaha .. humm a good view of my World and still so skilled in gaming and Thats what matters the most for me

Reactions: HyperboleJoe

TRENDING THREADS