Microsoft + Bethesda = Obsidian + Fallout ?

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Not everyone is aware that all these are in one hands now! Two days ago it was simply impossible that Obsidian will have an occasion to work on another Fallout game. Now everything is possible! At least in theory because Bethesda Softworks will be probably a quite separate entity in the Microsoft family. Man, what I would do for another New Vegas... Anyway the chances went from 0% to possible and that’s good for all RPG lovers! What do you think about another Fallout game from Obsidian? Would you like to see it? Do you expect that this could become a reality?

I might be the only person on the planet who doesn't want Obsidian making another Fallout game. I personally don't think they've made a good game since New Vegas, and while there were some things I loved about NV, there was plenty I hated. I believe FO3 was just a little better in terms of story and the world than NV. But mostly, everything they've put out since then has just felt so.... dry and uninspired to me. I don't really think they have it in them to make expansive and interesting RPG worlds anymore. A studio is only as good as its current talent, and Obsidian has lost a lot of their team from way back when (which naturally happens, people move around a lot in this industry).

Now granted, I also thought FO4 was the worst game to carry the Fallout name outside of maybe Brotherhood of Steel, so I guess I don't have much faith in the future of one of my favorite franchises. But I still hope Obsidian sticks to their Avowed and PoE instead.

May 1, 2020
Visit site
I’m well aware that a their previous colaboration was kinda rocky but, still, since Fallout: New Vegas is one of my all-time favorite games I’d like to see them working together on a new F:NV-style of game, be it from the same IP or a different/new one. I’d love to see a F:NV remaster/remake out of this hypothetical colab as well.

All wishful thinking, of course, because there’s no guarantee they’ll have the time for that, let alone the willingness, even if living under the same roof.

Reactions: Sarafan

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Considering how Obsidian is building their portfolio, I am not sure they will try jumping back into Fallout world, at least for now. For me any modern Fallout is not really a Fallout, even New Vegas is hardly getting a pass because of the awful engine and it's issues. Last time I tried playing it I stopped after like 3 hours.

On the other hand, if this deal means getting Todd's greedy hands off Fallout and giving it to somebody else... that could be interesting.
Like, what if they get InXile to do Fallout Tactics 2? I surely wouldn't mind, considering how they restored Wasteland's IP back to life.

Microsoft will probably leave Zenimax to do their own thing. Possibility is there, but what really will happen, it's too early too know or even guess.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I might be the only person on the planet who doesn't want Obsidian making another Fallout game. I personally don't think they've made a good game since New Vegas,

Heresy! ;) I think they didn't make a bad game since New Vegas. Both Pillars of Eternity series and Tyranny were great. South Park was very good. The Outer Worlds was nice as well. Could you elaborate on why do you think these games weren't good?

and while there were some things I loved about NV, there was plenty I hated. I believe FO3 was just a little better in terms of story and the world than NV.

That's quite surprising for me. The main plot is IMHO a lot more entertaining than in F3. And it offers (if I recall correctly) four very different paths, making subsequent playthroughs more fun. Minor spoilers ahead! I almost fell from my chair when I discovered that I can shape Mojave Wasteland to my will, by choosing which fractions I want to see in my version of the game world.

But mostly, everything they've put out since then has just felt so.... dry and uninspired to me. I don't really think they have it in them to make expansive and interesting RPG worlds anymore. A studio is only as good as its current talent, and Obsidian has lost a lot of their team from way back when (which naturally happens, people move around a lot in this industry).

Most of the team is intact. The only major departure was Chris Avellone.

I’m well aware that a their previous colaboration was kinda rocky but, still, since Fallout: New Vegas is one of my all-time favorite games I’d like to see them working together on a new F:NV-style of game, be it from the same IP or a different/new one. I’d love to see a F:NV remaster/remake out of this hypothetical colab as well.

You should try The Outer Worlds if you haven't so. The game resembles the later Fallouts a lot/

All wishful thinking, of course, because there’s no guarantee they’ll have the time for that, let alone the willingness, even if living under the same roof.

I'm also afraid that they might not have time. Currently they're working on Avowed which will be a sand box experience and these kind of games are quite time consuming to develop. Of course they can always expand the studio, but the core team is only one...

Considering how Obsidian is building their portfolio, I am not sure they will try jumping back into Fallout world, at least for now. For me any modern Fallout is not really a Fallout, even New Vegas is hardly getting a pass because of the awful engine and it's issues. Last time I tried playing it I stopped after like 3 hours.

Engine and its flaws are the biggest New Vegas problems. It's very hard to make it work properly on W10 and modern hardware. I tried to play it a few months ago with mods. Unfortunately it was completely unplayable because of constant crashes to desktop. This game needs a solid remaster.

On the other hand, if this deal means getting Todd's greedy hands off Fallout and giving it to somebody else... that could be interesting.
Like, what if they get InXile to do Fallout Tactics 2? I surely wouldn't mind, considering how they restored Wasteland's IP back to life.

Yeah, I'd love to see another Fallout Tactics. Wasteland 2 is quite similar when it comes to combat, but it doesn't have SPECIAL system implemented.[/QUOTE]

Aug 2, 2021
Visit site
In general, I find Bethesda is better are level design and Obsidian better at constructing story/narrative.
Personally, what I would like first is a Fallout NV and Fallout 3 remastered because they were buggy and clunky games.

Obsidian had a lot more ideas about what Fallout NV should have been but they just ran out of time and had to complete what they had. I just want to spend time in Legion territory. A full game set in Legion territory would be nice to see wouldn't even need to be that big to be enjoyable.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Obsidian had a lot more ideas about what Fallout NV should have been but they just ran out of time and had to complete what they had. I just want to spend time in Legion territory. A full game set in Legion territory would be nice to see wouldn't even need to be that big to be enjoyable.

New Vegas had a questline for the Legion and it wasn't great. Maybe it's due to limited time Obsidian had to finish the game. I don't know whether it's a good idea to base the whole game on this fraction. It would be quite specific.

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
I might be the only person on the planet who doesn't want Obsidian making another Fallout game. I personally don't think they've made a good game since New Vegas, and while there were some things I loved about NV, there was plenty I hated. I believe FO3 was just a little better in terms of story and the world than NV. But mostly, everything they've put out since then has just felt so.... dry and uninspired to me. I don't really think they have it in them to make expansive and interesting RPG worlds anymore. A studio is only as good as its current talent, and Obsidian has lost a lot of their team from way back when (which naturally happens, people move around a lot in this industry).

Now granted, I also thought FO4 was the worst game to carry the Fallout name outside of maybe Brotherhood of Steel, so I guess I don't have much faith in the future of one of my favorite franchises. But I still hope Obsidian sticks to their Avowed and PoE instead.

I kind of agree that they get wayyy to much credit for New Vegas. I think it's a better game than Fallout 3 because it's more fun to me, but people don't realize that New Vegas is made with the structure of a full game already made. Like, they kinda made Fallout 3 with another story and map. That's not making a game of your own, with mechanics that you need to figure out from scratch and engine and art and what not. So even if New Vegas is great, there's no reason to think they can make a full new innovative game better Bethesda.

Anyway, I still trust them a bit. Not a fan of The Outer Worlds, but I think with proper funding they could make something interesting, cool and fun. And I also prefer them to do they own thing. Microsoft was wise to let them go on with they own franchise.

TRENDING THREADS